You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1For those who don't believe Empty For those who don't believe Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:27 am

gypsy

gypsy
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31966131/ns/technology_and_science-space/?GT1=43001

Lunar orbiter spots Apollo landing sites
40 years after first moon landing, NASA probe sends proof in pictures
Image: Apollo 11 landing site
NASA / GSFC / ASU
This labeled image from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter shows the Apollo 11 lunar module at the center, with a shadow extending to the right.
updated 10:12 a.m. PT, Fri., July 17, 2009

For stubborn folks who still believe the Apollo astronauts never landed on the moon, NASA has new images — definitive proof — that clearly show the Apollo 11 lander that carried the first astronauts to the lunar surface 40 years ago.

The images were taken by NASA's first lunar scout in more than a decade, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. They show the Eagle lunar lander at Tranquility Base, where Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on July 20, 1969. They were snapped between July 11 and 15 of this month and released by NASA on Friday.

The image does not reveal whether the U.S. flag planted there is still standing or not.

The Apollo 11 landing site wasn't the only one that the LRO's camera system (dubbed LROC) photographed: It also snapped pictures of the landing sites of the other five Apollo landings. (The remaining site, for Apollo 12, is expected to be photographed in the coming weeks.) The lunar modules for all of these sites imaged are visible as small dots; their shadows can also be seen. A few more details can be seen in the image of the Apollo 14 landing site, including scientific instruments and astronaut footprints.

"The LROC team anxiously awaited each image," said LROC principal investigator Mark Robinson of Arizona State University. "We were very interested in getting our first peek at the lunar module descent stages just for the thrill -- and to see how well the cameras had come into focus. Indeed, the images are fantastic and so is the focus."

As LRO gradually descends to a lower orbit, the images will improve and provide closer looks at the lunar landing sites.

The images of these sites are expected to show scientists how the sites have changed since the astronauts trod across them, whether there are any new craters and how the leftover human artifacts have fared in the lunar environment.

About the size of a Mini Cooper car, the $504 million LRO probe, an orbiting satellite, launched toward the moon on June 18. The probe is expected to spend at least one year mapping the moon for future manned missions, as well as several more years conducting science surveys.

Some people have questioned whether NASA really went to the moon or if the whole thing was faked. No serious and level-headed historian, researcher or space industry analyst doubts the moon landings, however.

A labeled image shows the place where the Apollo 14 lunar module set down in 1971, as well as the location where scientific instruments were set up and the footprints of the astronauts leading from one site to the other.

2For those who don't believe Empty Re: For those who don't believe Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:33 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I always found it amusing the people who thought the Moon landing was a hoax created by Hollywood. I always believed it happened and it was true, we went to the Moon, I never had any doubts in my mind. To think the US (NASA) would take a chance to deceive everyone like that is absurd, they would never risk that coming out. No, they actually went to the Moon and people walked on it. Facts, simple, like it or not we did it.

There is supposedly an American flag put their too, I'm sure you've seen pictures of it, and it can be seen via telescope, but I've never see it. The flag is rumored to have been destroyed when they launched off the Moon to go back to Earth, the thrusters of the spacecraft burned it up. But some say they have seen the flag their on the surface of the Moon when it was first placed. More proof we landed on the Moon. I never had any doubts, it ridiculous to think the government would try to deceive that way and take a chance of being found out. The facts are we landed on the Moon.

Last edited by runawayhorses on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

3For those who don't believe Empty Re: For those who don't believe Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:41 am

gypsy

gypsy
I agree Tyler,what would be the purpose ,for NASA to do that..?
so much info has come from that history laden era,an the walk on the moon.
I can't believe it has been forty years,I was so young:( lol where has time gone~ an so fast..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum