rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Obama clears way for oil drilling off US coasts
Mar 31 01:15 PM US/Eastern
By PHILIP ELLIOTT
Associated Press Writer
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9EPO6880&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Reversing a ban on oil drilling off most U.S. shores, President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced an expansive new policy that could put oil and natural gas platforms in waters along the southern Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and part of Alaska.

Speaking at Andrews air base outside Washington, Obama said, "This is not a decision that I've made lightly." He addressed the expected outcry from disappointed environmentalists by saying he had studied the issue for more than a year and concluded it was the right call given the nation's voracious thirst for energy and the need to produce jobs and keep American businesses competitive.

"We're announcing the expansion of offshore oil and gas exploration but in ways that balance the need to harness domestic energy resources and the need to protect America's natural resources," Obama said, according to his prepared remarks released in advance by the White House. "This announcement is part of a broader strategy that will move us from an economy that runs on fossil fuels and foreign oil to one that relies more on homegrown fuels and clean energy. And the only way this transition will succeed is if it strengthens our economy in the short term and long term."

He added: "To fail to recognize this reality would be a mistake."

Obama made no secret of the fact that one factor in his decision was securing Republican support for a sweeping climate change bill that has languished in Congress. But Obama has long stated his support in favor of the "tough decision" to expand offshore drilling

The plan modifies a ban that for more than 20 years has limited drilling along coastal areas other than the Gulf of Mexico. It allows new oil drilling off Virginia's shoreline and considers it for a large chunk of the Atlantic seaboard. At the same time, he's rejecting some new drilling sites that had been planned in Alaska.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I hope they don't drill off the coast of Florida.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i think by saying the east gulf of mex. that is what they mean. the republicans are fussing that obama did not also include the pacific coast, and the big oil reserve in alaska i guess anwar,, that has not been tapped yet. i dont know alot about it but the dericks, very well may be so far out u will not see them but i dont know that,but i do know or heard once they help fishing, but i also heard last nite on coast to coast radio show, it will be 7 to 8 years before any oil will come from any of this.. the radio show had the pastor that was the pastor for the thousands of workers that put in the alaska pipeline, . he called the oil companies and it was his idea and they said yes, then he did such a good job, they gave him executive status. he said he got to sit in on highest level meetings. he is now writing a book, he claims the big oil companies run everything, run congress, tell the opec nations how much to charge for oil, keep an artificial shortage going. that we have to have a shortage, something to do with forgieners buying T bills, i dont read books but i might like to read this one, he also said there has been a really hugh oil find somewhere in south Dakota or north Dakota, more than in some of the middle east, and russia has found new oil. he claims there is no oil shortage..and like i said the oil companies control everything..he also said they know obama will not be the next president. so we shall see, he was on coast to coast that is on during the late nite, and it tends to get a bit far out. he even claimed the oil companies know when we will go to war with iran, if israel does not jump the gun, he said in a year and a half,, so we shall see, i do know virginia i think has been begging for off shore drilling, it brings in big bucks to the state the dericks are off of, alabama get bucks from ours, and was putting the money into a fund, but we have had drilling for many years, and we dont have that much coast.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well most native Floridians (like me) don't want it. It would put our state in jeopardy of a oil spill or something going wrong that destroys our coral reefs and contaminants our beaches. Floridians in general don't want our state messed with. Its beautiful and we want to keep it that way. Drill somewhere else leave us alone. We don't want to see oil rigs from our beaches either.

gypsy

gypsy
we need to find an alternative ,so we wouldn't have to depend on oil~

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:we need to find an alternative ,so we wouldn't have to depend on oil~

well we all know that, but oil companies keep the price just low enough that it inhibits alternative ways. but there are some, like the chevy volt coming out, but its just a drop in the bucket, most alternative ways are expensive, dont look for oil to go away, its not going to happen, i think this drilling that now will take place where the article said that obama put into motion, is a turn around in what he said when running for president, but he has changed on several of the things he campaigned on,

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i think i heard where russia is going to drill off the cuban coast, on the news,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum