You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

151What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Gumbo,with twist, chicken simmered in chicken broth, cooled broken into bite size..broth reserved
saute onions,garlic until translucent,add reserved broth,I usually don't add tomato's to my gumbo,this time I do,and okra,simmer 20mins.. all the good seasonings of the great south.or your preference..mix together with chicken add another carton of chicken broth,1/2 cup of rice,turn off heat/cover..at the end crack five eggs on top of mixture cover,serve when eggs are at choice done.

152What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Never heard of eggs in gumbo, I don't put my raw rice in the gumbo, I serve a mound of rice with gumbo poured over it, down here they also add sausage to chicken gumbo, gives more flavor and using a homemade roux lets you adjust the color and richness. I always have tomatoes, onions, garlic and celery in mine but only add the okra the last 10 minutes of cooking it will get slimey if it over cooks. File' added before serving also gives a nice flavor. Left over turkey, duck or just about any poultry makes a good gumbo

153What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I don't either,that is why I said a twist.. everyone has a recipe.
True Cajun gumbo doesn't have tomato's,that is jambalaya!!
so I call my Kentucky Gumbo with a twist!! adding rice!

OH!! 20 people served,said it was delicious!!

154What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Jambalaya is much thicker than gumbo .

155What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin

CHICKEN GUMBO
1 frying chicken
1 onion
1 slice bacon or salt pork
1 can tomatoes
2 quarts water
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 cans okra
1/2 cup rice, cooked
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Fry 1 chicken. When done, cover with boiling water and cook until it is ready to fall apart.
Remove the chicken, place in a dish to cool, and pour the broth into the soup pot. Add chicken, minced or shredded very fine.

Fry 1 onion with 1 slice of salt pork or bacon.

Rinse the skillet out with a little hot water and pour everything into the soup.

Put 1 can of tomatoes on to boil with 2 quarts of water.

Slice 1 green pepper and 1 small red pepper very fine and add to tomatoes.

Boil 2 hours. Take 1 tablespoon of minced parsley. Add to the soup and simmer 1 hour longer. Add cooked cut okra the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

During the Summertime, 2 or 3 ears of corn, cut and scraped, make a nice addition.

If desired, serve with 1 large spoonful of boiled rice to each soup plate.

156What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Good Recipe, will try,,

except ( use fresh ingredient

157What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Thats not mine I just CC&P to show the tomatoes are added, fresh is all I ever use, but there are so many ways to make gumbo and additions to taste.

158What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 am

gypsy

gypsy
tomatoes is not added in true Cajun Gumbo,it is in Creole jambalaya.

159What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 am

gypsy

gypsy
Amaze me! someone questions a recipe?..come on ssc??

160What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:59 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Guess since I live in the south and see gumbo made 7 days a week and don't feel you are an expert of true cajun gumbo, and your insistance to jambalaya come on Gyp, I have cooked these southern dishes for 40 years, like I said everyone has a different recipe. Making an issue on of all places the cooking thread is a bit childish to say the least.You cook things your way and I cook the southern way.

161What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

gypsy

gypsy
oh I think I know how true things are,with cultural recipes,.
I have been going to Louisiana for 50+ years I have family who lives there remember?
I am a chef also ..

162What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Good for you and yes I remember your stories of coming to Louisiana.

163What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty CRAWFISH FETTUCCINE Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
CRAWFISH FETTUCCINE

1 1/2 cup butter
3 medium onions, chopped
2 medium bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 Tbsp parsley
1 pint half & half
1 lb Velveeta
2 tsp fresh jalapeno, deseeded & diced
3 lb crawfish tails, peeled and deveined
salt & pepper to taste
Fettuccine pasta , I coat it well with parmesan cheese after cooking and before serving

Saute until very tender: butter, onions & bell peppers. Add flour, parsley, half&half, Velveeta, jalapeno, salt & pepper. Once the cheese is melted, add the crawfish tails. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Cook fettuccine pasta and drain. Mix with sauce then serve.
Shrimp or chicken are also great substitutions if crawfish isn't available in your area.

164What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty CRAB RANGOON Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
CRAB RANGOON

1 lb.fresh crab meat
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 bunch scallions, chopped (about 6 - green part too)
pinch of salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. wonton skins
1/4 tsp. onion powder
oil for deep frying

Place crab meat, cream cheese, scallions, salt, onion powder and sugar into food processor and mix into a lumpy paste. If food processor is not available, chop crab and onions very fine and mix with softened cream cheese, salt, and sugar. Place teaspoonful of mixture in middle of a wonton skin. Moisten edges and draw up opposite corners to meet and form a package. Make sure all edges are sealed. Deep fry until golden brown.

165What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Supper tonight~~ Bacon wrapped Chicken breast, strips
green bean casserole
glazed carrots
left over gumbo,baked with
Parmesan and bread crumbs,on top any drink you prefer..
Dessert:
homemade brownie , homemade ice cream, with homemade chocolate sauce ..

So Good!

if your my friend,and would like to see pictures, they are on facebook

166What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
TGIF and a 3 day weekend thanks Uncle Martin, just what these kids need an extra day off from school. Guess it is pizza, chicken wings, some fried shrimp and oysters with potato salad and coleslaw. Feeding 6 very hungry girls who are doing a spooky movie night, bless you Netflix saves me a fortune. Already have fudge and brownies made countertop full of soft drinks and chips. I got this !!!

167What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Sounds like you have a nice evening planed. Yeah some of these holiday off days are unproductive when they should be just the opposite. What better way to honor someone than to do something productive or helpful that day, as opposed to doing nothing at all.

168What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
If they are going to honor him I can think of a bunch of others just as deserving, but the kids don't care about Uncle Martin they are just excited to be off, second week of Feb. this year they are off for 5 school days and 2 weekends for Mardi Gras, waiting for them to throw in National Piss Ant day....

169What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Big pot of baked potato soup today, think I will do the potatoes on the grill for extra flavor, then add cheese, ham, sour cream and my base of half & half and top it with fresh chives, thinking about some philly steak poboys too just to cover all the bases.

170What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:08 pm

gypsy

gypsy
we are having,BBQ,slaw, potato salad,,and homemade ice cream

celebrating fourth of July//in mid winter.

This post has been edited for violating the rules set forth to Gypsy.

171What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Roast Pork with smooth apple sauce as a condiment.

Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli

Mashed Potato

That's it ...no pudding

Sometimes I do baked potatos ...

I do like white pepper...but Brian likes black pepper.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

172What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Going to a Birthday Dinner, nice to not have to cook tonight..

173What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Chicken and Dumplings,carrot's, green beans cooked with bacon, and onion,
sliced tomato..no bread since we have dumpling's. tea
frozen yogurt, with lemon pudding swirl.. vanilla Cookie.

174What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Warmer to-day..saw the sun. Snow half melted.
We might get more snow..don't know.

Just made a Beef stew, will put the dumplings in later. Will have boiled potato with it... maybe a few green peas thrown in at the end..

I would have liked to put a half of Turnip in...but got no Turnips to-day.

I put in 2 carrots two small onions and a few butter beans.

Thickner (Bisto) two teaspoons... Partly flowered the Beef cubes.

Flavouring one Beef and one Vegetable OXO.

I will make the dumplings with Suet and flower.

OK FLOUR ...Brain half working.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

175What's For Supper ? - Page 7 Empty Re: What's For Supper ? Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I smoked a brisket last night, have potato salad coleslaw, gumbo and shrimp jambalaya,garlic bread and banana pudding, perfect Mardi Gras food. I know I'll have a housefull after our parade.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum