You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Bear is loose Empty The Bear is loose Fri May 23, 2014 11:50 pm

gypsy

gypsy
http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/obama-surprises-tourists-national-mall

You gotta catch folks by surprise. Can’t be regular. Can’t be routine.”

That was the message from President Obama as he surprised a handful of tourists and locals in Washington, D.C. when he took an unannounced walk Wednesday outside the White House.

“It’s good to be out,” he said on his stroll. “The bear is loose.”

Obama chatted with about two dozen people in a three-minute video posted to the White House YouTube channel early Thursday

“How’s business?” he asked a vendor at the helm of one of the many food trucks that sell hot dogs, pretzels, and ice cream to Washington tourists.

“The bear is loose.”
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA
“It’ll be a wonderful, wonderful ceremony,” he said to another two people he met, presumably in town for a funeral or other memorial event at nearby Arlington National Cemetery. “My grandfather was buried in the National Cemetery of the Pacific and I still remember the ceremony, flag, Taps. Still chokes me up every time.”
He handed out official White House candy to two little girls. But he got the warmest reception from some very enthusiastic tourists who ran over to introduce themselves.

“Hey! America! Freedom! Peace! Hope and charity,” one enthusiastic man yelled from a distance when he spots the president.

“Are you real?” a woman named Anna asked as she shook Obama’s hand.

“Yes I am. I’m not wax,” he replied.

2The Bear is loose Empty Re: The Bear is loose Fri May 23, 2014 11:58 pm

gypsy

gypsy

Photo Essay
<
>
Students from the Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School in Boston perform during the White House Talent Show in the East Room of the White House, in Washington, on May 20, 2014.President Barack Obama takes a selfie on stage with a student from the ReNew Cultural Arts Academy from New Orleans during the White House Talent Show hosted by first lady Michelle Obama and the President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities (PCAH) in the East Room of the White House, in Washington, on May 20, 2014 in Washington.First lady Michelle Obama dances with students from turn around schools during a talent show at the East Room of the White House on May 20, 2014 in Washington, DC.Actress Sarah Jessica Parker (3rd L) participates with students from Martin Luther King, Jr. School in Portland, Oregan, during a talent show at the East Room of the White House May 20, 2014 in Washington, DC.Students from the Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School in Boston perform during the White House Talent Show in the East Room of the White House, in Washington, on May 20, 2014.
1 / 5
Students from the Orchard Gardens K-8 Pilot School in Boston perform during the White House Talent Show in the East Room of the White House, in Washington, on May 20, 2014.
Carolyn Kaster/AP
White House hosts its first talent show
By Nick Ramsey
The White House held its first-ever talent show for students on Tuesday afternoon. The event was hosted by first lady Michelle Obama and the president’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities. It was a part of the Turnaround: Arts program, a public-private partnership with the aim of using arts to narrow the achievement gap in schools within communities that have a high poverty rate.

But these weren’t your average student performances – the quality was more Rushmore than Waiting For Guffman. Several celebrities even made appearances, including Sarah Jessica Parker and Alfre Woodard.

During her opening remarks the first lady told attendees, “The Turnaround: Arts program has exceeded, not just our expectations, but our wildest hopes and dreams.” She noted it has helped lead to an increase in attendance and enrollment for at-risk students, as well as more engagement from parents in their children’s education.

The student performances included plenty of song and dance, as well as remarks from students who have benefitted from the program.

The president himself made a surprise appearance at the end of the ceremony joining the students who were sharing the stage with the first lady.

After hugging several kids, he joked, “I’ve got some talent, but I wasn’t invited to be a part of the show

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum