You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Bill Gates of Microsoft envisions fighting hurricanes by manipulating the sea
Posted by pdevlin July 15, 2009 07:11AM
The Times-PicayuneMicrosoft CEO Bill Gates, pictured here during a 2002 visit to Xavier University, hopes to fight hurricanes with giant tubs that alter the seas.

If you thought domination of the world's software market was cool, get a load of Bill Gates' next technological vision: giant ocean-going tubs that fight hurricanes by draining warm water from the surface to the depths, through a long tube.

A second tube could simultaneously suck cool water from the depths to the surface.

Microsoft founder Gates and a dozen other scientists and engineers have a patent pending for deploying such vessels, which they say would collect water through waves breaking over the walls of the tub. Some variations have the water moving through turbines on their way down, which would in turn generate electricity to suck up the cooler water.
Bill Gates of Microsoft envisions fighting hurricanes by manipulating the sea Bill-gates-hurricane-patent

As many as 200 vessels could be placed strategically in the predicted path of a hurricane, and they could be designed to be reused or to sink in place and decompose underwater. The vessels could be moved into place by towing or by dropping from airplanes.

A second patent application describes how part or all of the cost of building and maintaining the hurricane-killer ships could be raised by selling insurance to coastal residents whose risk would be reduced by using the new system.

The hurricane-killing ideas, contained in a half-dozen related patent applications, were made public by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Friday, with Gates listed as one of the inventors on each. The applications were submitted by Searete LLC, a subsidiary of Intellectual Ventures of Bellevue, Wash., and created by former Microsoft executives to both buy up existing patents and develop patent applications for new ideas.

The hurricane-killer system isn't expected to be rolled out any time soon, however, according to a posting on the Intellectual Ventures Lab Web site.

Paul "Pablos" Holman, whose job title is listed as "hacker, " said the system would be feasible only if other responses to more active hurricane seasons or more intense hurricanes caused by global warming do not work.

"This type of technology is not something humankind would try as a 'Plan A' or 'Plan B, ' " he wrote. "These inventions are a 'Plan C' where humans decide that we have exhausted all of our behavior changing or alternative energy options and need to rely on mitigation technologies.

"If our planet is in this severe situation, then our belief is that we should not be starting from scratch at investigating mitigation options, " he wrote.

The water-moving vessels would not be limited to killing hurricanes, however. The applications also suggest the "wave induced downwelling" could stir up nutrient-rich sediment on ocean floors to promote plant and animal growth in environmentally-degraded areas.

"This may be used for developing wildlife preservation areas, wildlife recreation areas, restoring wildlife destroyed by natural or man-made causes, etc., " according to the patent application.

Another proposal calls for moving nutrients and other material from the ocean floor to the surface to promote growth of algae to trap carbon as a tool in fighting global warming.

Intellectual Ventures was created in 2000 by Nathan Myhrvold, who was Gates' chief technology officer at Microsoft, and Edward Jung, who was Microsoft's chief software architect. In a May article on the unveiling of Intellectual Venture's own patent laboratory, the Seattle Times reported that the firm has earned $1 billion in licensing revenue from patents it has acquired and about $80 million from patents for ideas it has created since its founding in 2000.

"We consider ourselves basically an invention business, " said Marelaine Dykes, a spokeswoman for the company. "We're a non-practicing entity, a non-manufacturing entity because we don't produce products, per se."

But the new laboratory does produce prototypes of some of its new inventions, she said, and subsidiaries like Searete are being formed to handle a variety of categories of the patents held or developed by the company.

The hurricane killing plan was the product of a gathering of scientists and invention developers more than a year ago.

"These are brainstorming sessions where we come up with and develop ideas around particular topics, " she said. "We bring in smart people from all over, depending on the topic."

Gates, an investor in Intellectual Ventures, has attended several of the invention salons, resulting in his name being added to the ensuing patent applications.

Others listed on those patents include a nuclear reactor designer, an aerospace engineer who has designed reusable launch vehicles, and a climatologist researching ways of increasing water droplets in upper-level clouds to reflect sunlight into space to fight global warming.

New Orleans residents might be keen on at least two other ideas for which Gates and his allies have sought patents: an insulated container that can be used as a beer keg and a fence using photons -- particles of light -- to shoo mosquitoes away from homes.

gypsy

gypsy
wow! I heard a little about this in the news~

SSC

SSC
Admin
Haha..Bill Gates must be smokin crack. He obviously has no clue that hurricanes don't always go from point A to point B.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:Haha..Bill Gates must be smokin crack. He obviously has no clue that hurricanes don't always go from point A to point B.

i know this was a bit weird, i posted it because i knew u have a good interest in hurricanes,,as it relates to where u live and worked,

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Hey, if they can come up with something that will work I'm all for it. If Bill Gates is involved it must be for real. I welcome such tech. This could be a major breakthrough.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Hey, if they can come up with something that will work I'm all for it. If Bill Gates is involved it must be for real. I welcome such tech. This could be a major breakthrough.

i would have not posted this if for the fact bill gates seems to be very involved and i imagine spending money,, anyway it will be interesting, i see the map missed ur house tyler lol, but as i understand the artticle,there will be 200, i think and can be droped from planes, and i imagine in the projected path, which always does not work but many times does, i just wonder if in fact some are placed correct will they work, as i said bill gates is the only thing in my mind that makes this even close to credible, it was interesting, and something new beside the usual news,,,

SSC

SSC
Admin
Weather channel is bringing experts on hurricanes and they are saying this plan has no chance, hurricanes don't follow a designated path so these tubs would have to be in the direct line if it were possible to pull enough cold water to the surface. I've seen 2 hurricanes back to back and even with the churning of the first it wasn't enough to slow the second one. Gates is playing god on this one. What if one is coming makes a right turn goes into Florida turns comes back into the gulf above his barrels, not impossible they bounce all over. Make figure 8's , one made 4 land falls in Florida . Just don't see the reason for this but I guess he has the money to do what ever he wants.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well I can certainly appreciate that someone is trying, the fact that Bill Gates is involved is promising, hes doesn't get involved in things that don't work. His track record proves that. No one can dispute his success.

What if no one was trying to do what they did? Making hurricanes a thing of the past and controlling the environment and weather. What if no one ever tried??

The only way we can advance in that field is to continue to learn and use technology to the best of our advantage. Test things, experiment, Whats the harm in tech? nothing, only advantage.

I don't understand anyone that has a problem with advancement, technology that improves things. The only explanation for someone doing that would be they are old school, don't like change. But what a ridiculous stance to take considering technology is the inevitable process of advancement. Only the ones that choose to turn back the clock and disregard today's tech would be the obvious ones to be anti-tech, and resort to an earlier time. They are missing the point. We NEED all the tech, to stay on top, weather is a serious issue, and there are people (like Bill Gates and others) that work on projects like that, becuase hes rich enough to and obviously cares. I appreciate the science they work with and what they are trying to do, and the things they try to fix and accomplish. How could anyone possibly not like a major power (Bill Gates) trying to help a situation like Hurricanes. It's a noble act, and I'm glad someone with that much money and past intelligence to be part of the birth of computers is taking an interest in this global hurricane situations. The simple fact that he is on board is promising in and of itself, and I'm glad he trying to do something, using tech and computers.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Tyler don't get me wrong if it was a plan that was really feasible to work I would be all for it, I had hope on cloud seeding years ago . There have been no less that 20 different plans for hurricane deflection, none so far have worked, but Gates has money, he is talking 200 barrels the experts are saying it would take 10,000 to begin with . But more power to him. I still feel it is fooling with a natural phenomena.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well, I don't think Bill Gates would be involved in it if it wasn't feasible, I'm sure hes done his homework, but we'll see. All I can do is sit back and hope it works.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
as u all know i almost always post the url to an article, as tyler has asked us to do, for one, there are pics in articles ppl dont post, this one has bill gates pic but idid photobucket the illustration, but i noticed i did not put the url, so i searched the archives where i get news, and i will now post a url ,i think the source is the picayune times, but anyway it was from ssc neck of the woods, im sure she probably has heard something local but not sure, but sorry for leaving out the url, i also thought tyler may want to go here since he seems interested by it, it may have more info than i posted but not sure, take care, its worth going to to read some of the comments after the article, lol,,
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/bill_gates_of_microsoft_envisi.html

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yeah well, people laughed at Einstein too. The general public is always skeptical at first, those posts/reply's in that article were not surprising, that kind of skepticism has been going on since the beginning of time.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Yeah well, people laughed at Einstein too. The general public is always skeptical at first, those posts/reply's in that article were not surprising, that kind of skepticism has been going on since the beginning of time.

well if this is in fact tryed even if it does not work, and i would think the odds are against it, but like i said if it does not work i hope they do atleast try it, just to see because it is interesting,,even as far from the coast as i am, we still get high winds and tornadoes, i have lost trees to straight line winds i think only to andrew,, i believe it was, take care

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum