You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
North Texas school district will let teachers carry guns
Associated Press
Aug. 15, 2008, 4:27PM
BuzzHARROLD, Texas — A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to allow teachers and staff to pack guns for protection when classes begin later this month, a newspaper reported.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and have to use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Superintendent David Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms on school campuses "unless pursuant to the written regulations or written authorization of the institution."

It was unclear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers. Wilbarger County Sheriff Larry Lee was out of the office Thursday and did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment, the newspaper said.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, including in Texas, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

The 110-student district is 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5945430.html

SSC

SSC
Admin
I can't help but agree with teachers protecting themselves, the feeling that it won't happen here has been proven wrong sadly to many times already.

gypsy

gypsy
pretty soon we will be like the old western days, every one will be packing a gun LOL

SSC

SSC
Admin
You would probably be shocked to find out how many people in every day walks of life do carry guns already.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:You would probably be shocked to find out how many people in every day walks of life do carry guns already.
i agree, i was told this years ago, if u remember ANN RICHARDS the texas govenor, who was very charismatic, and popular in texas, she was the incumbent running against george bush, our now president, u know she rode a harley and ppl loved her. but this was after a gunman killled many ppl in a resterant, well one lady who i think her parents were killed but not sure, said if she had of had a pistol she could have stoped the killer, since at that time texas did not have a pistol permit law to carry, and that surprises me, alabama i think has as long as i can remember, but anyway, ANN was anti pistol permit.,, and George Bush was pro gun permit, the guy who lived in houston told me that was the deciding factor in the govenors race, which ofcourse George Bush won, the lady in the resterant ran for congress in the texas house, and won, and sponcered a pistol permit to carry a handgun and the law passed, i remember the resterant shooting to this day, ..

The "Old West"? The most people killed by handgun in Dodge City was 5, in 1878. Never more than that before or after. History will describe NOW as the days of the "Wild Internet", when nuts, misfits, and the insane were given a free hand to kill at will by "gun free zones". Look at Washington, DC.

gypsy

gypsy
I didn't mention any deaths, i said soon we will be like the old west and everyone will pack a gun ..or wear a gun..

Let's hope not. Let's hope our young'uns use the internet to exchange useful information instead of plots to kill.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
meemoon wrote:The "Old West"? The most people killed by handgun in Dodge City was 5, in 1878. Never more than that before or after. History will describe NOW as the days of the "Wild Internet", when nuts, misfits, and the insane were given a free hand to kill at will by "gun free zones". Look at Washington, DC.

marc,, if i read this correct, did not the supreme court rule or something pass that handguns could be carried in washington dc, something changed a few weeks ago,, but it was maybe a month ago and i lost track of what finally happened,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum