You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Many convicted felons remain on voter rolls, according to Sun Sentinel investigation

Reported by Peter Franceschina, Sally Kestin, John Maines, Megan O'Matz and Dana Williams Written by Sally Kestin
October 12, 2008

More than 30,000 Florida felons who by law should have been stripped of their right to vote remain registered to cast ballots in this presidential battleground state, a Sun Sentinel investigation has found.

Many are faithful voters, with at least 4,900 turning out in past elections.

Another 5,600 are not likely to vote Nov. 4 — they're still in prison.

Of the felons who registered with a party, Democrats outnumber Republicans more than two to one.

Compare candidates, make your choices and print out your ballots Florida's elections chief, Secretary of State Kurt Browning, acknowledged his staff has failed to remove thousands of ineligible felons because of a shortage of workers and a crush of new registrations in this critical swing state.

Browning said he was not surprised by the newspaper's findings. "I'm kind of shocked that the number is as low as it is," he said.

Asked how many ineligible felons may be on Florida's rolls, Browning said, "We don't know."

The Division of Elections has a backlog of more than 108,000 possible felons who have registered to vote since January 2006 that it hasn't had the time or staff to verify. Browning estimated that about 10 percent, once checked, would be ineligible.

"This is part of a big mess," said Jeff Manza, professor of sociology at New York University and author of a book on felon voting. "It's almost certain there will be challenges if the election is close enough that things hinge on this. Both parties are armed to the teeth with legal talent in all the battleground states."

Florida's felon ban originated before the Civil War, and today the state remains one of 10 that restrict some felons from voting even after they've served their time. The law requires state and county elections officials to remove felons from voter rolls after conviction and add them only when they've won clemency to restore their voting rights.

In 2007, the state eased the restrictions by granting automatic clemency to most nonviolent offenders who have completed their sentences. Others, including people convicted of federal offenses, multiple felonies or crimes such as drug trafficking, murder and sex charges, must still apply for clemency and have their cases reviewed.

The felons the Sun Sentinel identified never received clemency, but their names remain on Florida's voter rolls. Some are well-known: ex-Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne and ex-Palm Beach County Commissioner Tony Masilotti, for instance, both convicted last year of public corruption.

Browning said the state painstakingly checks all voters before removing them to avoid inadvertently taking off eligible voters as happened in two previous large-scale purge attempts.

"The policy of this department, this state, is that we will err on the side of the voter," he said.

Florida registers voters largely on an honor system, asking applicants to affirm on a signed form that they are not convicted felons or that their rights have been restored. State law requires the Elections Division to conduct criminal records checks only after voters are added to the rolls, and it takes months or even years to remove those who are ineligible, the Sun Sentinel found.

"It's scandalous, really," said Lance deHaven-Smith, professor of public policy at Florida State University. "Why do they have to cull the rolls after they get registered? They shouldn't get on the rolls in the first place."

Felons confused
Several felon voters interviewed by the Sun Sentinel expressed confusion over automatic clemency and said they thought their voting rights had been restored. Some said they merely signed registration forms that were filled out by volunteers.

"If I wasn't able to vote, they wouldn't have given me my [voter registration] card," said John A. Henderson, 55, a Hallandale Beach Democrat. "I voted the last time and the times before that."

Henderson served about a year in prison in the late 1990s for battery and trafficking in cocaine. He said he was unaware he needed to formally apply to restore his rights when he successfully registered to vote in 2002. Henderson has since cast ballots in at least six elections and received three updated voter ID cards from the Broward Supervisor of Elections Office, records show.

Broward elections officials were unaware of Henderson's criminal record and did not check it when he registered, said county elections spokeswoman Mary Cooney. Nonetheless, she said he will remain on the rolls "until we are directed otherwise to remove him."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flbfelons1012sboct12,0,3762352.story

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Hey its not my fault I don't work for the government..LOL

The problem with voting in this country already sucks, so many votes never get counted or lost becuase the system of submitting the votes and calculating them is a faulty piece of crap. There should be a solid working universal way to vote that is done the same exact way in every state. You would think something as important as voting would already be a really GOOD system that is done electronically, professionally, expertly, perfectly and flawlessly..etc, as opposed to the ridiculous ways that it is handled now. But it somehow doesn't surprise me it sucks and always has, it almost seems everyone likes the BS way of doing it. I wonder why?

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Hey its not my fault I don't work for the government..LOL

The problem with voting in this country already sucks, so many votes never get counted or lost becuase the system of submitting the votes and calculating them is a faulty piece of crap. There should be a solid working universal way to vote that is done the same exact way in every state. You would think something as important as voting would already be a really GOOD system that is done electronically, professionally, expertly, perfectly and flawlessly..etc, as opposed to the ridiculous ways that it is handled now. But it somehow doesn't surprise me it sucks and always has, it almost seems everyone likes the BS way of doing it. I wonder why?

the way we do it for many years, is they give u a ballot, u go to private wall bariers, to mark the candidates u choose, just like the school test, u darken in the rectangle, on the candidate u want, then u go to a machine that u put in nad it sucks it in, and the machine counts the candidates u marked, like i said the way we took some test at school, darken in with a pencil, it seems to work, well, i have no idea about the voters rolls, as to fellons, and such in bama, i have not read if there is a problem .we are one of the most conservative states there are.. both our senators,did not vote for the bail out,, and shelby is like one of the chairman whatever, in the banking or finacial committee, i forget what its called, but that macain letter i posted, it was addressed to my senator and other,one i forget, but it posted, take care,

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Exactly what I'm saying, using a freakin pencil to vote and dropping a ballet in a box, stuff like that, its absurd we still use tactics like that. Of course its always some old retired guy who is half asleep from the "Moose Lodge" running things too.,lmao! Hell, its more professional and accurate to vote for your favorite artist on American Idol than it is to vote for the president in this country.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Exactly what I'm saying, using a freakin pencil to vote and dropping a ballet in a box, stuff like that, its absurd we still use tactics like that. Of course its always some old retired guy who is half asleep from the "Moose Lodge" running things too.,lmao! Hell, its more professional and accurate to vote for your favorite artist on American Idol than it is to vote for the president in this country.

lol well its not a ballet box its a machine u put it in. and by optics i would assume it reads where u dark out the candidates thing like in school test, actually i think its very accurate, there is a person by the machine i think there are usually 2 machines, and they tell u which way to insert the ballot, it must have a power roller as u just start it and then it zips it in, and reads and records the vote, so when voting time is up the machine has the total, and u get a " I VOTED " sticker to wear, lmao, from the moose lodge man, nite take care.

SSC

SSC
Admin
I wish we had a Moose Lodge man, we have the blue haired ladies who go get poll commissioners badge and make 200.00 every election.
There is going to be so much voter fraud, with a faulty system and ACORN buying votes , this will be a nightmare, and how strange the trend of the illegal voters is Democrats..hmmmmm go figure OK TYLER STRAIGHTEN THIS MESS OUT THERE,..LOL 37361

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:I wish we had a Moose Lodge man, we have the blue haired ladies who go get poll commissioners badge and make 200.00 every election.
There is going to be so much voter fraud, with a faulty system and ACORN buying votes , this will be a nightmare, and how strange the trend of the illegal voters is Democrats..hmmmmm go figure OK TYLER STRAIGHTEN THIS MESS OUT THERE,..LOL 37361

lol, i will check to see who we have, a moose man or a blue hair, lmao,, now tyler in florida, i think he actually has a babe in a bikini, lol! and is fooling us, lol

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
OH NO ROSCO CAN SEE RIGHT THRU ME!!! Can you see my nose growing like Ponokio?? lol!

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Actually thats not a bad idea, have bikini babes working at the voting booths, it might help improve the voting turn out..lmao

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
probably have to have some paramedics standing by for the retired ppl that flock to florida , incase a heart gives out, gee i did not realize i had that good of an idea, lol, but it aint bad, huh???? OK TYLER STRAIGHTEN THIS MESS OUT THERE,..LOL 503179 take care

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum