You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hi i received an email so i checked it out Empty hi i received an email so i checked it out Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
it was about jane fonda, i read it all then went to email hoax page, and did a search, it had many part to the letter, one was each prisoner in the hanoi hylton handed her when they shook her hand a small piece of paper with the social secuity on it and then she handed the papers over to the north vietnamese soldiers, , well that is not true, and i forget what other parts were not true, but this part is true. and before i post the part the urban legends and internet hoaxes, at about.com which is older than snoops and i like alot better, there is no love between jane fonda and the soldiers
especially the pows, i found the whole letter i got but this part was the only part that the sight said was true, or i may have missed what was true in the start of the letter, as it took 3 pages on the sight to explain, it. it broke it down most said false, but this part said it was true so i will paste, this is not my email this is off about.com, but said almost exactly what my letter i got said to this part,

Claim: POWs were beaten for refusing to cooperate or meet with Fonda during her visit.

The final anecdote in the "Hanoi Jane" email recounts the experience of a POW who agreed to meet with Fonda but announced to his captors that he planned on telling her how horrid conditions in North Vietnamese prison camps really were.

"Because of this," the narrative continues, "I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a piece of steel placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane every time my arms dipped."

Those words were written by Michael Benge, a civilian advisor captured by the Viet Cong in 1968 and held as a POW for 5 years. When I contacted him, Benge confirmed that the story was indeed his own, and true.

Benge's original statement, entitled "Shame on Jane," was published in April 1999 by the Advocacy and Intelligence Network for POWs and MIAs. The nameless, faceless author of the "Hanoi Jane" email evidently picked it up from that or another Web page or newsgroup and combined it with fabricated stories to create the much-forwarded message. Some versions now circulate with Benge's name appended, others quote his statement anonymously.

Ex-POW: 'None of us are members of the Jane Fonda Fan Club'

A good cause is never well served by lies, and that's how all of the ex-POWs I spoke or corresponded with about the falsehoods in this message felt. Paul Galanti said: "None of us are members of the Jane Fonda Fan Club, but these fabrications are something she just did not do."

No one had an answer to the questions, "Who made up these stories, and why?" but both Carrigan and McGrath expressed serious doubt that it was a POW.

"She did enough to place her name in the trash bin of history," McGrath explained. "None of us need to make up stories on her."

Jane Fonda could not be reached for comment.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum