You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
first my thoughts, pure bullshit, how about turning out the lights in las vegas, as u know im not much a green person, i am not convenced on global warming, for a scientist on one side u can find another on the other side, but 3 weeks of christmas lights makes me laugh,

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet
By Graham Readfearn
December 24, 2008 08:06am

SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

CSIRO researchers said householders should know that each bulb turned on in the name of Christmas will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.

Dr Glenn Platt, who leads research on energy demand, said Australia got 80 per cent of its electricity by burning coal which pumps harmful emissions into the atmosphere.

He said: "Energy efficient bulbs, such as LEDs, and putting your Christmas lights on a timer are two very easy ways to minimise the amount of electricity you use to power your lights."

He said the nation's electricity came from "centralised carbon intensive, coal-based power stations" which were responsible for emitting over one third of Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.

Dr Platt added: "For a zero-emission Christmas light show, you may consider using solar powered lights or sourcing your electricity from verified green power suppliers."

SSC

SSC
Admin
To be honest I like the idea of the LED or solar lights, not that I have a huge display, but we noticed the meter is spinning a little faster when they are on. Saw a show about x-mas displays , huge ones where light bills were going up from 3,000.00 to 7,500.00 in about a 6 week period. All my yard lights are solar and considering putting roof panels for the house. Hubby installed the first solar panels on houses in New Orleans years ago, it's not that hard to do.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep but ur signature is using alot, lol, wow, it makes my signature look dinky, lol,, well i probably went overboard on the light thing, actually i have not had outside lights in like 6 years, even then just some on the eves of the house, was i mistaken on the power bill some ppl have thousands, , mine even in the summer with the central air is not over 200 bucks and like now its less than 100, hope u had a nice christmas, take care,

SSC

SSC
Admin
I would kill for your light bill !!! Mine runs 350.00 in the winter and around 500.00 in the summer, this monster house I built is 3,500 sq. ft with 13 rooms, if I could cut it in half I would be happy.
Seriously I do like the solar idea, even been considering a windmill kit for the pool lights and shed.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well u do have a really large house, probably 2 times mine, i think my sisters is about ur size, she has an upstairs,she has 5 bathrooms, but her house was built by my bro in law and he is insulation crazy, its hard to explain he built a metal frame house,but u cant tell, the outside is brick, even with concrete between the first and second floors, and he has a metal roof, what i like about his is, see he builds metal building, big ones, that ppl put companies in, anyway he got a coil of metal burnished slate color,and had it rolled formed by ppl he knows.. for the roof ( about the color of a brown storm door) but its textured metal, like a texture fridge, so it does not reflect light so really u never notice it being metal but more ppl here are going metal, i did at the lake, so he had that white plastic covered insulation directly under his roof sheets, and then also has the upstairs ceiling insulated, , plus alot of insulation in the walls and some dead air space the way its made, but being a metal frame house he could get away with not as many supporting walls, so that makes it nice, i just have a regular house not as big as urs, just living room , dinning room, kitchen with breakfast room a den adn 2 baths with 3 bedrooms and a full basement which half i use to park the cars, so its hard to compair elec bill with a house ur size, i have pool table in the basement i use to play, but i cant find it now, lol, really i have stuff all over it, plus my ski boat is in the basement, but my sq footage the basement is not counted in that, its just concrete floors and block walls that i painted, my washer and dryer are in the basement, i like them there because its easy to work on them , not haveing to worry about the floors, plus the stairs are good exercise, lol,,ok ill hush, take care

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I think global warming is happening, however I also think it is a natural process not to be too concerned about. Of course I'm not a scientist either and what I think means shit. But I believe everything Man does is OK and all part of nature and that the planet doesn't care one way or the other, I mean, it doesn't think therefore it doesn't care. Everything we can possibly think of to do to the environment is all part of nature becuase we are part of nature that derived from the earth, in a sense the earth created us. If we destroy the environment (and we can) it is all natural and the earth will support some other kind of life that can live in its environment. I'm not saying its OK to destroy the environment that supports our life, just saying the earth doesn't care one way or the other and that we are all part of the natural process no matter what we do. People that think otherwise have too great a concept of there own self worth. We are only a product of the earth and what happens to the earth becuase of our actions was meant to be, good or bad (good or bad for us) it is OK and part of nature. We can afford the luxury to choose our own destiny, good or bad, its all natural.

If we choose to get the fuck off this planet and preserve our existence becuase we all know that someday the sun WILL eventually burn out and not support life as we know it anymore, and certainly not us, we will do it, if we don't we will become extinct, its as simple as that. The earth doesn't care one way or the other, it will not support us forever anyway.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep like when the theory ( which i do believe) that an asteroid or a really large meteor hit earth that caused the sun to be blocked out and killed off the dinosaurs. well life came back. i think one day another asteroid will hit earth. it may be a billion years, but eventually it will.. heck i pour used motor oil from my truck along my back fence where the wood starts to kill the weeds, and u know what , it does not take long for new weed to grow where i poured the oil, of course where i pour it, it cant wash off my property, or wash anywhere, i use round up to kill weeds too, but the county i live in and most all countys in the state,, has trucks that sprays the roadside at places ppl do not own to kill the vegetation along the road, they must use good stuff it kills like small trees, but heck in 6 month new vegetation takes it place so they spray more than once a year, sometimes they spray and kill it back then come in and cut the dead stuff..but we have lots of wooded roads,,i also think the railroad sprays all along the tracks, to keep vegetation down take care.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Rosco you are right the railroad does spray a herbicide it is attached to the trucks that run the high rail, or in some cases a special car unit with the tanks mounted and extending spray arms. I use everything I can get my hands on to kill critters and rogue weeds.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:Rosco you are right the railroad does spray a herbicide it is attached to the trucks that run the high rail, or in some cases a special car unit with the tanks mounted and extending spray arms. I use everything I can get my hands on to kill critters and rogue weeds.

lol i agree, either that are be taken over, lol , take care

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Heres my thoughts on Graham Readfearn Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet 503179

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum