You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1kentucky coal power Empty kentucky coal power Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:43 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
May 21, 2009
95% of the power produced in the state of Kentucky comes from coal – one of the most widely-used fuels for electrical generation, and one of the largest fixed-source producers of CO2. It’s no small feat, then, that deep in the heart of coal country Kentucky Utilities Company (KU) is working hard to make their energy green.
my words : i read where kentucky has 5 coal power producing plants,
gypsy u said ur state mainly uses hydro power,or u meant u because u said ur on tva so u must part of the 5 percent. but i knew that could not be true for the whole state as we use hydro power as much as we can, and have several lakes, with turbines, the problem with hydro power is once the water level gets to a point they cant draw anymore water out.im on one of the main hydro lakes,500 miles of shore line and 300 ft deep in places, i swim in 45 ft of water, so i know in the summer when the water gets to a point they stop using hydro, as the lake cant go but so low, so they use more coal,but even when water is high they have to always use some coal as hydro will not emit enough energy for it all, , this spring for us has been wet so the lakes have made more hydro power than say last year, im not criticizing kentucky but just pointing out hydro power cant do what ppl think it can, but as is stated kentucky is working hard to make green energy but like all states, it will not come cheep or anytime in the near future, but maybe one day. also this

Kentucky Utilities Company Clean Air Act Settlement
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/cases/civil/caa/kucompany.html

(Washington, D.C. – Feb. 3, 2009) Kentucky Utilities (KU), a coal-fired electric utility, has agreed to pay a $1.4 million civil penalty and spend approximately $135 million on pollution controls to resolve violations of the Clean Air Act, the Department of Justice and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced today.

"Today's settlement sets the most stringent limit for nitrogen oxide emissions ever imposed in a federal settlement with a coal-fired power plant," said Catherine McCabe, Acting Assistant Administrator for EPA's Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. "EPA is committed to ensuring our nation's coal-fired power plants comply with the Clean Air Act. Pollutants from these facilities can cause severe respiratory problems, contribute to childhood asthma, and contribute to smog and haze. "

“This settlement will result in the substantial reduction of harmful emissions, and will benefit air quality in Kentucky and downwind areas,” said John C. Cruden, Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division. “The Justice Department will spare no effort in its pursuit of emission reductions from power plants across the country to achieve the benefits envisioned by the Clean Air Act.”

MY WORDS: this is not what is in congress but the old clean air act that has been in effect for many years, we may have the same problem i dont know, but in the news i have not heard of any settlement we have made but will check,

Last edited by rosco 357 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

2kentucky coal power Empty Re: kentucky coal power Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:16 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
oh sorry we do have one nuclear plant, shows what i know but i have heard of it, just did not register, Joseph M. Farley Nuclear Generating Station. i think i counted 14 hydro plants,s but will put the url , im the black warrior river, smith dam,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Power_Company#Nuclear_Plants

MY WORDS well we did have a legal thing, but it looks like we beat the wrap lol same url
In 1999 the United States Environmental Protection Agency commenced an enforcement action against Alabama Power under the Clean Air Act. In 2006, the EPA announced that Alabama Power had agreed to spend more than $200m to upgrade pollution controls as a partial settlement of this action.[3] The settlement did not include claims regarding five coal fired plants.[4] Those claims proceeded to trial, and Alabama Power prevailed. However, the Southern Environmental Law Center (SELC) has stated that they intend to appeal the ruling. SELC was involved in a case against Duke Energy that was appealed to the Supreme Court in 2006.[5]

3kentucky coal power Empty Re: kentucky coal power Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
We have one close to me Taft, it is always in terrorist protection and has been shut down several times
If the coal industry does the venting as was suggested recycling the air then it will be purified to a standard probably better than the air it will be emitted to. Coal can be the answer and we aren't paying another country for our fuel.

4kentucky coal power Empty Re: kentucky coal power Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am

gypsy

gypsy
yes Rosco i meant our area is on TVA,
I didn't realize that 95% were coal burning ones. I remember the big clean up our companies/.state went through to get coal burning safer./cleaner.

5kentucky coal power Empty Re: kentucky coal power Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:yes Rosco i meant our area is on TVA,
I didn't realize that 95% were coal burning ones. I remember the big clean up our companies/.state went through to get coal burning safer./cleaner.

well as i have stated the lake place even thou its on a alabama power lake the electricity i get up there is from a co -op, and is tva , i wish i was on tva here at home i think its is some cheeper than alabama power , thanks and take care,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum