You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Senator Kennedy Empty Senator Kennedy Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 pm

gypsy

gypsy
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/business/article_212252278.shtml?rssfeed

Edward Kennedy's successor chatter in Washington and in the great state of Massachusetts
in increasing in volume. Kennedy, known as the "Lion of the Left" has indicated to Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick that his days are numbered and wants political favors now.

The ailing liberal leader wrote his home-state governor, Deval Patrick, and state legislative leaders, asking them to alter the method by which his successor might be chosen.

Kennedy's health, 77, has been the subject of intense speculation in Washington. He has rarely been seen in the Capitol this year, even as the Senate
has taken up one of his lifelong causes, a revision of the nation's healthcare system.

According to Massachusetts succession law, Edward Kennedy's successor is not appointed immediately by the governor of his state. Unlike most states, the state constitution requires that a special election be held to determine a new senator.

Kennedy's letter to Patrick went as follows:

"I am now writing to you about an issue that concerns me deeply -- the continuity of representation for Massachusetts should a Senate vacancy occur,' he says, adding: 'As I look ahead, I am convinced that enabling the governor to fill a Senate vacancy through an interim appointment followed by a special election would best serve the people of our Commonwealth and country should a vacancy occur."

Now would'nt it be ironic if the ghost of Ted Kennedy is unable to deliver the 60th vote needed to break a filibuster in the U.S. Senate.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum