1Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Empty Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Dies

Obituary: MARY TRAVERS OF PETER, PAUL AND MARY DIE...
9/17/20

Interview: ROBERTO ORCI TALKS 'FRINGE', 'STAR TREK...
9/17/2009

Obituary: MARY TRAVERS OF PETER, PAUL AND MARY DIES

Travers joined up with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey in the '60s

By CHARLENE CHENG, News Editor
Published 9/17/2009

THE SKINNY: Mary Travers, of the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary passed away of leukemia at the age of 72.

The group, which also included Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey, first came together in the early '60s. They were known for their liberal political beliefs, as displayed in their version of "If I Had a Hammer," which won them Grammys for best folk recording and best performance by a vocal group.

Peter, Paul and Mary first debuted at the Bitter End in 1961, with their debut album coming out in 1962. In addition to "If I Had a Hammer," it also featured the single "Lemon Tree." They went on to win five Grammy Awards.

They were also credited for helping bring Bob Dylan to the forefront, with their 1963 album IN THE WIND featuring the then 22-year-old singer's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" and "Blowin' in the Wind.

2Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Empty Re: Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:25 pm

fastdrummer

fastdrummer
I was sad to hear about Mary..
"The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind"...

3Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Empty Re: Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:57 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I loved their sound, especially her voice~

4Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Empty Re: Mary of Peter Paul an Mary Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:28 pm

fastdrummer

fastdrummer
Yep, me too...