You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:57 pm

gypsy

gypsy
interjected

please forgive~~://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-06-08/joe-scarborough-can-save-the-gop/yes it is a blog

Christopher Buckley
Joe Scarborough Can Save the GOP

by Christopher Buckley
Info
RSS
Christopher Buckley

Christopher Buckley's books include Supreme Courtship, The White House Mess, Thank You for Smoking, Little Green Men, and Florence of Arabia. He was chief speechwriter for Vice President George H.W. Bush, and is editor-at-large of ForbesLife magazine. His new book is Losing Mum and Pup, a memoir. Buckley's Daily Beast column is the winner of an Online News Association award in the category of Online Commentary.

well I think I have found the new face of the Republican Party. It’s not a new one, entirely, and it’s been hiding out on national television every weekday morning from six to nine.

There’s been a lot of talk lately among Republicans about the need to find a new face for our party. Rush Limbaugh’s and Dick Cheney’s are, let’s face it, a bit scary. John Boehner’s looks like it wants to sell you a used car. Mitch McConnell’s looks like that of the accountant who’s explaining to you why you can’t afford the car that Mr. Boehner is trying to get you to buy, no money down.

So we Republicans have a Face Gap with the Democrats, who—let’s face it—have the best one of all in Mr. Obama.

Well, I think I’ve found the new face of the Republican Party. It’s not a new one, entirely, and it’s been hiding out on national television every weekday morning from six to nine.

Joe Scarborough.

I say this because I have just read his new book, The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise. It’s not a perfect book by any means. It’s a bit preachy here and there, a bit speechy here and there, a bit cutesy here and there, and occasionally repetitive. That said, it is a thoroughly honest book about the largely, if not entirely, self-inflicted wounds the Republicans have visited upon themselves over the last eight or more years. And his argument that we are heading to certain fiscal disaster is quite calmly and dispassionately made. Into the bargain, Joe Scarborough comes across as a profoundly likeable and reasonable man. Reagan Lite, you might even say. Could we do better? I’m open to suggestions.

One truly senses that Scarborough, who went out of his way as a congressman to befriend such lefty firebrands as Ron Dellums and Maxine Waters, doesn’t have a mean bone in his body.

(Full disclosure: He repeatedly invokes William F. Buckley, Jr. in more or less hagiographical terms; and I was recently on Morning Joe, during which, if I recall, Mr. Scarborough said pleasant things about the book I was on to promote. If that makes me out to be in the tank, fine—but read the book and decide for yourself.)

He is unsparing about the disaster wrought by George W. Bush and the Republican majority. At times, indeed, it reads like an indictment co-authored by Michael Moore and Paul Krugman. Iraq, reckless spending, the works. His insight is that Bush and the Republicans were not in any sense “conservative,” but rather radical and ideological. In foreign policy, they tossed aside the Powell and Weinberger doctrines of restraint and went pell-mell into every quagmire in sight.

At home, Bush accumulated more debt that the country had amassed from the presidency of George Washington’s to Ronald Reagan’s.

“Big-government conservatism? Woodrow Wilson Republicans? Really. Is it any wonder that the Republican Party got slaughtered at the ballot box over the last two elections?”

Joe Scarborough was one of 74 Republicans elected to the Congress in 1994, in response to the missteps of the early Clinton era. He was the first Republican elected to Congress from his northern Florida district since the 1870s, and handily won re-election three times. He takes credit, legitimately, along with his fellow conservative young Turks, for forcing Clinton to balance the budget, reform welfare and cutting taxes. (Odd how Mr. Clinton claims credit himself for those accomplishments.)

Then things went to hell (as Lord Acton would say) and we got Newt Gingrich’s tantrums and Ken Starr’s unmagnificent obsession. Then we got George W. Bush, Iraq, Katrina, and mind-boggling deficits.

Scarborough—who left Congress in 2001 to go into TV—became a pariah in his own party for his Cassandra-like warnings against the fiscal excesses of the Bush era. He was actually blackballed by the Bush White House in 2006 for writing a caustic Washington Post op-ed. (Op-ed pieces seem to be the modern equivalents of medieval gauntlets.)

2Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty Re: Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
why is ur url not clickable, if i copy and paste are some of those word urs, at the end, oh nevermind,

3Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty Re: Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 pm

gypsy

gypsy
ok why is not clickable,an if it is never mind why mention it?

4Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty Re: Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
ar u drunk,.. ur asking me why, its ur url, i said nevermind in disgust.. i will not waist more time on it,

its clickable if it a color, ur is not clickable , make the next one work, OK

5Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty Re: Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:28 am

gypsy

gypsy
rosco 357 wrote:ar u drunk,.. ur asking me why, its ur url, i said nevermind in disgust.. i will not waist more time on it,

its clickable if it a color, ur is not clickable , make the next one work, OK

no u ask me? I put the the link if it didn;t show its not my fault~

6Prolific laughter!! Sorry the devil Empty here is the link again Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 am

gypsy

gypsy
from my above topic//don't know why it didn't show as click able~

an no I was not, or am not drunk

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-06-08/joe-scarborough-can-save-the-gop/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum