View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Lou Dobbs leaving CNN for 'new opportunities'

Nov 12, 7:26 AM (ET)

By DAVID BAUDER
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091112/D9BTVTRG1.html

NEW YORK (AP) - CNN's Lou Dobbs, a lightning rod for criticism following his transition from a business journalist to an opinionated anchor on such issues as illegal immigration, told viewers on Wednesday that he was quitting his nightly show to pursue new opportunities.

"This will be my last broadcast," Dobbs said after giving the day's headlines. Dobbs, who hosts a daily radio show unrelated to CNN, said the network had allowed him to be released early from his contract.

Dobbs was a CNN original, signing on when the cable network started in 1980. For much of that time, he hosted a nightly business broadcast that became one of the most influential shows in the corporate world, and CNN's most profitable show for advertising revenue.

But Dobbs said his world view changed after the 2001 terrorist attacks and corporate corruption scandals, and he began to more freely express his opinions. He was particularly persistent in bringing the immigration issue to the fore, winning him both higher ratings and enemies. Latino groups had an active petition drive seeking his removal.

His presence became awkward for CNN, particularly as it began emphasizing reporting and non-opinion shows. He angered management this summer by pressing questions about President Barack Obama's birth site after CNN reporters determined there was no issue.

Dobbs said the decision came after months of discussion with CNN U.S. President Jon Klein. Dobbs said he wanted to concentrate on his role as a commentator and on advocacy journalism.

Klein hailed Dobbs'"appetite for big ideas, the megawatt smile and larger-than-life presence he brought to our newsroom."

"With characteristic forthrightness, Lou has now decided to carry the banner of advocacy journalism elsewhere," Klein said. "We respect his decision."

Dobbs said he was proud of his role in helping to build the first cable news network. He said some leaders in media, politics and business "have been urging me to go beyond my role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem-solving."

Seated at an anchor desk in front of a screen with a fluttering American flag, Dobbs mentioned his interest in issues such as health care, jobs, immigration, climate change and the wars.

"Unfortunately, these issues are now defined in the public arena by partisanship and ideology rather than rigorous empirical thought and forthright analysis and discussion," he said. "I will be working diligently to change that as best I can."

His resignation was hailed by activists who were seeking his ouster.

"Our contention all along was that Lou Dobbs - who has a long history of spreading lies and conspiracy theories about immigrants and Latinos - does not belong on the most trusted name in news," said Roberto Lovato, co-founder of Presente.org. "We are thrilled that Dobbs no longer has the legitimate platform from which to incite fear and hate."

Tom Saenz, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, the leading Latino legal organization, said, "The Latino community can and should celebrate that Lou Dobbs is no longer on CNN."

U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, a Democrat from Dobbs' home state of New Jersey and the Senate's only Hispanic member, called it "addition by subtraction" for CNN.

Dobbs did not immediately return telephone and e-mail messages to talk about his critics.

Although he joined CNN in 1980, Dobbs left the network for two years in 1999, after angrily complaining on the air about a decision by then-CNN President Rick Kaplan to switch away from his show to a live news event. An Internet venture failed and when Kaplan left CNN, Dobbs returned.

Dobbs' ratings had cooled from the height of the immigration discussion. But his 879,000 viewers on Tuesday still eclipsed MSNBC's Chris Matthews (Fox News Channel's Shepard Smith had more than double the audience) and even beat Campbell Brown's CNN show, which followed Dobbs at 8 p.m. ET in prime-time, according to the Nielsen Co.

A decision on who will replace Dobbs is expected to be announced Thursday.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Wonder if the fact his house was shot had anything to do with his leaving ??

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:Wonder if the fact his house was shot had anything to do with his leaving ??

MY word, i have seen nothing about that as to why.i dont think he would be intimidated he seems like a pretty tough cookie , here is another report that was out today, about his leaving, but anyway, here is another new article that may shed some light on it,,, take care, article as follows, i think this one explains it much better, take care

Dobbs gave up on $9M

By MICHAEL SHAIN & DAVID K. LI
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/dobbs_gave_up_on_3EsCWZGeRuYrPsFuzm8YoJ

Last Updated: 12:55 PM, November 13, 2009

Posted: 4:23 AM, November 13, 2009

Lou Dobbs walked away from more than $9 million when he quit CNN, ending a long-running clash that boiled over during a debate about President Obama's birth certificate, sources said yesterday.

Dobbs, who will be replaced on the network by veteran Washington political correspondent John King, abruptly announced his resignation on air Wednesday night and offered no clue about what he planned to do next.

But the beginning of the end really came in July, when CNN President Jonathan Klein told Dobbs' staff in a memo to drop so-called birther stories about conspiratorial doubts that Obama was US-born, sources told The Post.

"It seems this story is dead because anyone who still is not convinced doesn't really have a legitimate beef," read Klein's memo to employees of "Lou Dobbs Tonight."

Klein's move incensed Dobbs, who wasn't shy about telling off his boss.

"They have been talking pretty regularly since then," a source said. "And it's been pretty bad."

CNN had also long been asking Dobbs, known for his tough stance on immigration, to tone down his harsh rhetoric.

Last month, Dobbs' William Morris agent, CNN sources said, bluntly told Klein: "You're unhappy, he's unhappy. Let him go."

Dobbs told Klein in recent weeks he wanted to go "the opinion route," laying the final groundwork for his departure.

CNN had been unlikely to renew Dobbs' contract in 2011 anyway, sources said.

CNN is pushing hard to position itself as a middle-of-the-road news source, between left-leaning MSNBC and conservative Fox News Channel.

"Lou was polluting the CNN brand," said a TV insider.

The departure came at significant personal cost to Dobbs, who still had 1½ years left in his back-loaded, five-year, $35 million contract. Dobbs' final year would have brought him $9 million.

A Fox News Channel spokeswoman insisted her network wasn't interested in hiring the veteran.

CNN yesterday named King to take Dobbs' 7 p.m. slot, with a production starting in January.

Dobbs, on his syndicated radio show yesterday, thanked callers for their praise. When a caller from New Jersey urged him to run for the US Senate, Dobbs said: "All right, Josh. I'm taking notes."

Additional reporting by Reuven Fenton and Michael Starr

I think this will be good for Dobbs and CNN. I like and respect CNN. I remember long ago when we could see news reports from the old Soviet Union (PRAVDA) and hear about us "imperialists", etc. I still count on HLN for quick updates. MSNBC has sunk into oblivion. I don't mind them being leftist in outlook; someone should be,but they seem not to be able to get the right combo. The FOX haters ignore the fact that FOX has a number of liberal commentators and doesn't hesitate to include them on panel discussions,but Hannity's presence is just plain goofy and his discussion panels a joke. I know this is a bigoted statement but I refuse to watch Olberman. I simply will not trust the news judgement of a man who will have sex with another man. This "gay" issue came up the other day with Tyler,so I may as well lay it all out: In my opinion, gay people are,to some degree,mentally ill.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
meemoon wrote:I think this will be good for Dobbs and CNN. I like and respect CNN. I remember long ago when we could see news reports from the old Soviet Union (PRAVDA) and hear about us "imperialists", etc. I still count on HLN for quick updates. MSNBC has sunk into oblivion. I don't mind them being leftist in outlook; someone should be,but they seem not to be able to get the right combo. The FOX haters ignore the fact that FOX has a number of liberal commentators and doesn't hesitate to include them on panel discussions,but Hannity's presence is just plain goofy and his discussion panels a joke. I know this is a bigoted statement but I refuse to watch Olberman. I simply will not trust the news judgement of a man who will have sex with another man. This "gay" issue came up the other day with Tyler,so I may as well lay it all out: In my opinion, gay people are,to some degree,mentally ill.

well mark i dont think i could have wrote my opinion on the news stations any more close to my opinion that u just did. i agree on hannity, but i have started watching cnn. marc im not home much between driving to work and work itself eats up 12 hours , then there is sleep and chores around the house. so i dont have much time, so cnn does not have as many shows like hannity and does more plain news, so i have left fox to watch cnn more, i know they repeat many news items several times a day, but ppl like me that does not have time to watch it long, works for me just fine. i wish cnn well, and hope they do well with not being a commentary station,but they have some, and a more central leaning news station. as u have seen i post lot from the middle , which is kinda my felling, i have said im conservative on the military and many things, but to the left on some fiscal things, i consider myself a centralist. i read and listen to the left and right with a cautious eye and dont take what is said as gospel from both sides..take care

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:This "gay" issue came up the other day with Tyler,so I may as well lay it all out: In my opinion, gay people are,to some degree,mentally ill.
I agree,, to a degree. Something about homosexual people I don't understand either, the mannerism among other things, but that's probably because I'm a heterosexual (normal - I have a preference and desire for the 'opposite' sex.)

I would like to also make mention of the fact I don't like my name being used in the same sentence as the word "Gay".

However, I guess that was my payback time so I deserved it. Lou Dobbs leaving CNN for 'new opportunities' 440643

Link to topic:

https://runawayhorses.forumotion.com/general-thoughts-f3/palin-s-red-menace-t4645-15.htm#21252

gypsy

gypsy
I really lean more to the center.I guess a little more liberal than hard core center

I do bash Fox, for several reason , they do not have both version of opinions, there are not many on there that aren't biased, also they lie, an misconstrue the truth.
I Think the White house /real news stations should treat them as entertainment, not news. one problem is none of them entertain me,..so I don't watch it..
I will say for Olberman he does give both opinions an both parties equal time, I have never seen Fox have a dem on for discussion ,or for their opinion.an the constant bashing of the democrats is obvious from Fox,I have never seen Olberman bash the Republicans like that..

Signed LB Very Happy

"However, I guess that was my payback time so I deserved it." // No payback intended and I was floored that you would even ask me about my "orientation". I can't remember that ever being asked of me. As you suggested previously,it is socially irrelevant.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yes it was, and to be honest, I was basically just joking around. I know its hard to tell sometimes with my Lou Dobbs leaving CNN for 'new opportunities' 37361

But I really was just kidding around if the truth be known. I know damn well your not a homosexual.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I'd like to say I have no problem with someone being Gay, it happens to some people, they can't help it, its like a "disease", some are born with it. Make no mistake about it, in my opinion, they don't really want it if the truth be known, I don't think so anyway. Its like, do you want cancer? Of course not. They don't really want that homosexuality syndrome. I seriously can't believe they are actually happy with their sexuality, that's not reasonable to think that they are. They might kid themselves into believing it, that's possible, but at the end of the day they don't want it. The fact is they want to be normal, but they aren't.

What needs to happen is, they check themselves into a hospital and get a shot in their bottom that will cure it.

ok, enough about homos... lol

I've posted on this before at IYT and it got me hollered at. My mom was in the bar bizz for years and Charleston had a large and obvious homo population. I met and drank with a number of them. For all their "gaiety", they were an unhappy lot and tended toward alcoholism and drug addiction though most were honest in their business transactions.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well, let me jump in even though tyler said enough, and marc in a post up a bit i spelled ur name wrong , sorry>>>i think i may have posted this long time ago, i hear ppl say being homosexual is a choice, and they can change, i never really thought about it, till i got to thinking ,, i believe for the vast majority, homos are born with a gene or something that makes them that way, and i will tell u why i think this.. like when i date or back when i was with my wife, and when i dated her, we would go parking every weekend,or to the drive in movie, as ppl did back then. well u know when that happens and i got turned on , certain things took over and blood went to a part of my body, u know what i mean, and i could not control it or stop it, i got a hard on,,, so i got to thinking if a homosexual does not get a hard on with a women but does with a man, and cant control it no more than i can with a women, it has to be in his biological makeup and not a choice. and something in his genes or whatever. i know i said this long ago, but will again , i was watching larry king show on cnn, and he had someone i respect probably more than anyone i know of, he had Billy Graham on and larry flat asked him does he think sexual orientation is a choice or something ur born with, Billy Graham to my surprise said he though ppl were born with it.. i was shocked because many religious ppl dont think that and think its a choice they make, but if u cant control what ur brain does to the blood flow in ur body, how can it be anything else but being born with it...but i do think there are exceptions, this statement will bring controversy i know but king asked billy graham , well what should a homo do, if its something they are born with, billy answered to abstain from any sex in that case,,

SSC

SSC
Admin
For the life of me I cannot understand the concept of being gay..What can possible be the pleasure in a relationship such as that. Then they have the nerve to want to either adopt or in the lesbo case go for in-vitro, so now we have children with two females or two males..Then to make it worse California introduced a book into PUBLIC school about two male penguins raising a baby penguin (mandatory reading in grade school )
This has to be a genetic flaw...Well lucky I was born straight and have remained so to this day. lol!

Well, as long as we are still discussing this....I have no problem accepting homosexuality as a "from birth" condition although no genetic connection has been established. I see Roscoe's argument as irrefutable. Getting a hard on at the sight of a naked child may also be unavoidable to some, but we don't,and shouldn't, allow the marriage of children to adults.I also have no problem with gay couples getting married in states that allow that. I have no objection to gay couples establishing contractual relationships either since that right appears to be constitutionally protected. But......marriage is STRICTLY an agreement defined by state law. Either work to change that law or move. And sociopathy is also an "inborn" condition as well yet that does NOT excuse sociopaths from expressing their condition with illegal behavior.Maybe we shouldn't care what these anomolous personalities do as long as it doesn't violate the laws. Individual freedom should always rise to meet it's constitutional guarantee. To enforce a "freedom" on a population isn't a freedom at all. Ever hear of the "dicatatorship of the proletariat"?

gypsy

gypsy
I believe sexually attracted to children by Adults, is sick/twisted an they need to be put away, pedophilia can't be cured is my belief.

I also think the desires between man an woman are natural, an God given,but the abnormal desires are the evil.
where there is God/Good there is the other Side also Satan/Devil,something we all fight continuously every waking minute of the day,I firmly believe this

I have no problem with Gay people, I do have issues with them raising a child.something there just doesn't strike me right..a child is very impressionable,it would also cause a lot of conflict within this child as far as friends/peers

as for as freedoms, as long as it doesn't hurt the ones who choose not to participate in that certain freedom/like Smoking..

I also at first was ticked off at wearing a seat belt/but i think it is a good thing/many of my friends lives were saved by wearing the seat belt..

Sociopaths.an other criminal acts should be prosecuted fully by the law
you do the crime you do the time..

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
how did we get on this, is Lou Dobbs gay, lmao, just teasing, im totally against same sex marriage, i understand its a state law issue, i dont think that will be an issue in alabama, lol, as we are probably one of the most conservative states amoung a few others, as the saying goes, its GUNS AND GOD here, lol,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum