You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
my words, well its in the article but conan got 32.5 million bucks from nbc as a settlement to leave,
Fox ready to swoop in on Conan

By MICHAEL SHAIN
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/fox_ready_to_swoop_in_on_conan_dnDxLiRzyGOJAc6xufoIfJ

Last Updated: 2:29 PM, January 25, 2010

Posted: 1:31 AM, January 25, 2010

FOX is set to move fast to pick up Conan O'Brien for a rival late-night show, according to sources.

Talks between O'Brien and Fox could start as early as this week.

"Chances like this don't come around very often," says the source with knowledge of the situation.

"If Fox wants to be in late night, now's the time."

That Fox is interested in Conan is no secret.

"He's one of the few guys on the planet who has demonstrated he can do one of these shows every night," Kevin Reilly, Fox's entertainment president, said last week.

What is new is word that Fox wants to complete a deal with Conan quickly.

Fox has long wanted to create a late-night show -- and a morning show -- to compete with NBC, ABC and CBS.

"Today" and "Tonight," for instance, are cash cows for NBC -- bring in around $800 million a year in revenues.

But starting flagship shows like those has been next to impossible.

"The Chevy Chase Show," Fox's last attempt to crack late night, was canceled in 1993 after just four weeks.

Joan Rivers lasted less than a year on Fox late night in 1986-87.

But more things are in Fox's favor now than in the past, sources explained.

O'Brien's young appeal is a better fit at Fox than at NBC, which was used to the larger-but-older audience that Jay Leno had been getting at 11:30.

Fox is the top-ranked network now -- it was No. 4 then -- thanks to shows like "American Idol," and it has the clout to promote Conan better.

And, most attractive of all, Conan's salary will be paid in large part by NBC -- thanks to the $32.5-million settlement he received last week to get out of his "Tonight" show contract.

Indications are that Fox execs began quizzing local affiliates last week to see if time at 11 p.m. -- now reserved mostly for reruns of comedies -- can be cleared.

"If they don't jump now, they'll have to wait another five years for another opportunity like this to come along," says the source.

Offers from cable TV channels and TV syndication are also expected to come in this week, sources close to Conan said.

At the center of talks with Fox will be whether Conan, like David Letterman, will be allowed to own his show -- or split ownership with Fox.

"One things for sure," says a Conan source. "He won't do anything that is not a high-quality show."

Translation: Any new show will be expecting a "Tonight" show-type budget.

A spokesman for Fox could not be reached yesterday.

2Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 pm

gypsy

gypsy
good for Conan, except I won't be watching Fox~ LOL I will stick with Jay Leno and the english guy, or maybe he is Australian.. you know me an unbalanced/unfair Fox, don't jive Fox ready to swoop in on Conan 440643

3Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:02 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:good for Conan, except I won't be watching Fox~ LOL I will stick with Jay Leno and the english guy, or maybe he is Australian.. you know me an unbalanced/unfair Fox, don't jive Fox ready to swoop in on Conan 440643

well im at work when he is on but actually conan drives me up the wall, i dont like him, maybe i have not given him a chance, i grew up as we all did with johnny carson. he is a hard act to follow. leno is ok but carson was just so good,

4Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:31 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I don't care for Conan either I really don't watch Leno either, I
like Johnny Carson best .I just don't watch much tv period

5Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i always was an x-files junkie, now the closest show to x files in my opinion is "FRINGE" i think i spelled that correct, if u have followed it , it is very good shows and well written, thursdays, 8 central, on fox,

6Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:54 pm

gypsy

gypsy
oh ok I never watched x files Jer watches something regularly but can't remember what it is, he says its good it may be the one your talking about~

7Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
there are many good shows on, i just dont have time, i also record HOUSE the dr show, and smallville about when superman was a kid, and it follows his growing up on the farm the ppl found him and addopted him, he came in a small space craft, in a meteor shower. its on friday at 7 central, i forget the station, i know my channel number but not sure of the network,

8Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I used to watch HOUSE everyday when I was in the hospital. The Nurses liked it also. We would talk about the show a little. But when I got out I for some reason stopped watching it. I like the main character that uses a cain to walk, I forget his name. Its a good show. I also watched ER which I liked a lot also. We talked about that show too. But I don't watch that anymore either. But it was good. It kinda depresses me now to watch medical shows.

Smallville I've never seen. Sounds good thou, I like the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve. He was the ultimate superman I think. Sad how he died and what happened to him. I was a fan of his.

I'll have to check out Smallville, sounds interesting.

9Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Empty Re: Fox ready to swoop in on Conan Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I loved Christopher Reed so sad how his life became..
I enjoyed him in all of his movies~ I use to read the heck out of superman comic books when I was growing up we use to trade comic books with neighborhood kids ,and friends a hobby and pass time~ I liked wonder woman comics,dracula also ,but mostly romantic ones as I got older

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum