You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
this is not a email, its on a major news sight,

Thousands of online banking customers have accounts emptied by 'most dangerous trojan virus ever created'

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:41 PM on 11th August 2010
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1302062/New-trojan-virus-Zeus-v3-empties-online-bank-accounts.html

Thousands of British online banking customers have fallen victim to a sophisticated attack by cyber criminals who have stolen thousands of pounds from their accounts.

About 3,000 online banking customers have been victims of a computer virus attack that empties their accounts while showing them fake statements so the scam goes undetected.

Experts have described the attack using a 'trojan' virus as the most sophisticated and dangerous malware program ever created.

The cyber criminals stole an estimated £675,000 between July 5 and August 4 and the attack is still progressing, experts warn.
Out of action: The new trojan virus can empty bank accounts without their owners knowing about the theft

Out of action: The new trojan virus can empty bank accounts without their owners knowing about the theft as it shows them fake statements

The latest virus is a variant of the Zeus trojan banking virus which first emerged three years ago and is called Zeus v3.

M86 Security said: ‘We’ve never seen such a sophisticated and dangerous threat. Always check your balance and have a good idea of what it is.’

The scam was discovered after M86 gained access to the command-and-control server in Eastern Europe running the thefts.
How to protect yourself from trojans when banking online

* Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.
* Keep firewalls set to the highest level.
* Never open an e-mail attachment from someone you don't know.
* Never double-click on an e-mail attachment that ends in .exe. It is an 'executable' file and can do what it likes in your system.
* If you think your machine has already been infected, contact your bank immediately. If the bank thinks you are a genuine victim of fraud it will reimburse you.

It collects data such as passwords and even transfers money out of accounts automatically, but only after checking if there is at least £800 available.

Bradley Anstis, M86 vice-president of technology strategy, said: 'This is an extremely sophisticated version of the virus and it cannot be detected by traditional security software.'

The company said it was the most-sophisticated and dangerous virus yet seen and advised online banking users to check their balances regularly and have a good idea of what it should be.

British high street banks do not believe they have become victims of the cyber criminals.

A spokesman for HSBC said: 'There are millions of viruses and other malicious software.

'We urge people to take basic measure to protect themselves from virus attacks.

'Any customer who is a victim of fraud will be reimbursed by HSBC.'

However, M86 said it believed one high street bank was breached and failed to act quickly after warnings last month.

More than 100,000 PCs in Britain have been infected with other forms of the trojan virus.

McAfee Inc, the security software maker, said production of software code known as malware, which can harm computers and steal user passwords, reached a new high in the first six months of 2010.

McAfee said total malware production continued to soar and 10 million new pieces of malicious code were catalogued.
What is a trojan?

* A trojan is a type of computer virus that infects your PC.
* It is called a trojan (derived from the Trojan Horse of Greek mythology) because it will disguise itself as a useful application but when installed can take control of a user's computer.
* It can let a hacker take control of your computer or simply wipe the hard drive.
* It can also be used to install keylogging software which will let the hacker know what you are typing and give him access to your passwords.
* Trojans are now the most popular form of computer virus or 'malware'.

It also warned users of Apple's Mac computers, considered relatively safe from virus attacks, that they may also be subjected to malware attacks in the future.

'For a variety of reasons, malware has rarely been a problem for Mac users. But those days might end soon,' a spokesman said.

'Our latest threat report depicts that malware has been on a steady incline in the first half of 2010,' Mike Gallagher, chief technology officer of Global Threat Intelligence for McAfee, said in the report that was obtained by Reuters.

Last year £59.7million was lost to online banking fraud, according to Financial Fraud Action UK.

Another £440million was lost to credit card fraud.

And the problem is said to be on the rise, with criminals attacking banks' customers rather than the banks themselves as they are seen as softer targets.

A Financial Fraud Action UK spokeswoman said: 'The idea that criminals are targeting people by using malicious software or Trojans is nothing new.

'Bank systems are hard to attack so they're having to go through the easier link in the chain, which is the customers.

'They're hoping customers aren't taking security precautions. We've been seeing this for the last few years and we're constantly urging people to protect their computers to try to mitigate the risk of becoming a victim.'

Victims of online banking fraud are generally refunded the money.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1302062/New-trojan-virus-Zeus-v3-empties-online-bank-accounts.html#ixzz0wK4yvl00

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I don't do my banking online, and that is one of the reasons.

Sounds like a bad virus, the US may be hit soon, I think I'll run a scan with my anti-malware program anyway today. All my other scanners and real-time protection programs like Anti-virus and anti-spyware are set to automatically scan late at night when I'm sleeping.

gypsy

gypsy
My computer has been running mighty slow~ I did a clean up with c cleaner, if it doesn't shape up,I am going to ship it out to the nearest tech//which would be WKT

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
CCleaner does not remove malware viruses, spyware or anything like that. The program is not designed to do that. You need real programs designed to do a specific job. CCleaner is designed to clean your computer of old files you don't need anymore. It also will clean your registry. It has noting to do with malware or spyware.

My guess is your computer is infested with spyware, the most common thing to slow down a computer.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Here, download the free version of "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition". Its the second link on the page you'll see. It will say "SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition"

Download it, run a scan, let it delete anything it finds.

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

SSC

SSC
Admin
I can't get on Google Chrome at all uninstalled it and reinstalled and still getting an error page, any ideas Tyler

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yes, get on Internet Explorer and download SUPERAntiSpyware. I don't think you have Firefox (which is the best and safest browser) but use IE, keep Google chrome uninstalled is my advice. I've seen it, and I'm not that impressed. The best thing you can do is download the Firefox browser. Just ask rosco.

But for now use Internet Explorer to download ""SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition'. Just close the browser your using now, and come back to this site on IE, and click the download link in this topic.

Here's the Firefox browser download page, Its free:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html

SSC

SSC
Admin
OK thanks Tyler

gypsy

gypsy
runawayhorses wrote:I don't do my banking online, and that is one of the reasons.

Sounds like a bad virus, the US may be hit soon, I think I'll run a scan with my anti-malware program anyway today. All my other scanners and real-time protection programs like Anti-virus and anti-spyware are set to automatically scan late at night when I'm sleeping.
how do u detect it? what happens?

the post is long LOL

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:
runawayhorses wrote:I don't do my banking online, and that is one of the reasons.

how do u detect it? what happens?

the post is long LOL
The program will detect it for you, it will display after the scan what it found, then from there it will present you with a "remove" button, click it, let it do its job. Then reboot/restart your computer.

gypsy

gypsy
ok.Thanks to Ros/and you I am umm getting,, computer smart//well ~!!!

maybe!

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:ok.Thanks to Ros/and you I am umm getting,, computer smart//well ~!!!

maybe!
Well do what I said then you'll be smart, for now you still have a computer full of spyware. Do the work, get it done.

gypsy

gypsy
I love the Blue collar comedy!

Get er done

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:I love the Blue collar comedy!

Get er done
lol. well its not a joke, eventually your computer will crash unless you address the issue. Download the program and let it go to work. Otherwise your computer will just get worst. Its unsafe too, people can be tracking your every move with spyware. It can do all sorts of things. Get rid of it now is my advice, or suffer the consequences.

You are most likely being tracked with undesirable tracking cookies, and it is watching you.. lol affraid

Last edited by runawayhorses on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

15'most dangerous trojan virus ever created' Empty WOW! Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:27 am

gypsy

gypsy
Rosco/ I lost interest//well Duh

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:Rosco/ I lost interest//well Duh
I'm talking to you, you are not talking to rosco. You lost interest? Fine, you'll be sending your computer off in a month or so after its unusable to let someone else remove the spyware.

I'm done here.

gypsy

gypsy
I was talking about Roscos post

so loong!!

gypsy

gypsy
well I downloaded, everything looks clear,..

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:I can't get on Google Chrome at all uninstalled it and reinstalled and still getting an error page, any ideas Tyler

i read in the news paper tech page i think , that google keeps a record of all the places an ip address has ever gone, and they recommended using, " startpage.com as the search engine that it does not record ur history, it does not even put a cookie on , i have checked and it does not put a cookie on checking foxfire tools options, anyways ,its just .,,, startpage.com i keep a icon on my desktop for it, and but i also use google too, but try it, its simple,

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Yes, get on Internet Explorer and download SUPERAntiSpyware. I don't think you have Firefox (which is the best and safest browser) but use IE, keep Google chrome uninstalled is my advice. I've seen it, and I'm not that impressed. The best thing you can do is download the Firefox browser. Just ask rosco.

But for now use Internet Explorer to download ""SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition'. Just close the browser your using now, and come back to this site on IE, and click the download link in this topic.

about FIREFOX . over a year ago.. when i took my pc to the local computer repair place close to me for a tune up,, . he put on firefox, he did not ask , he put it on and told me to run it,

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:well I downloaded, everything looks clear,..
Now you need to install the program, then run a full scan with it. Just downloading it isn't enough.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
rosco 357 wrote:
runawayhorses wrote:Yes, get on Internet Explorer and download SUPERAntiSpyware. I don't think you have Firefox (which is the best and safest browser) but use IE, keep Google chrome uninstalled is my advice. I've seen it, and I'm not that impressed. The best thing you can do is download the Firefox browser. Just ask rosco.

about FIREFOX . over a year ago.. when i took my pc to the local computer repair place close to me for a tune up,, . he put on firefox, he did not ask , he put it on and told me to run it,
Yeah I remember, that's why I said just ask rosco. I downloaded the Google chrome browser once when it first came out to take a look at it, but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it.

gypsy

gypsy
I downloaded and run the scan it found lots of crud LOL it is all cleaned up now, thanks Tyler.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:I downloaded and run the scan it found lots of crud LOL it is all cleaned up now, thanks Tyler.
OK you're welcome :)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum