You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Social security 75 th anniversary Empty Social security 75 th anniversary Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 am

gypsy

gypsy
Dear linda,

Tomorrow, we will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Social Security, a landmark achievement for the middle class and one of the best things the Democratic Party has ever accomplished.

Over my career, I've taken on a lot of tough fights. But none has been more important than the fight to protect Social Security and keep it in place for future generations. That's why I stood up to President Bush when he tried to privatize it, leaving the economic security of millions at risk based on the rise or fall of the stock market.

And that's why Social Security has become such an important issue in this campaign. My opponent's latest TV ad features the claim that she wants to "save" Social Security. But that's not true.

She's said she wants to "phase out" Social Security, said it violates the First Commandment, even called it "welfare!"

Social Security isn't welfare. It's a promise, made from one generation to another. And trusting my opponent to keep that promise would be like trusting the fox to safeguard the henhouse.

Tomorrow's anniversary is a chance for us all to reflect on the millions of American families whose economic security has been protected by Social Security. And it is a reminder that, with strong leadership, that tradition can continue for another 75 years and beyond.

Do you have a personal story of how Social Security helped your family to weather tough times, or retire in comfort and dignity? We want to hear about it! Share a note on Twitter by clicking here, or add your story on Facebook by clicking here. We'll be re-tweeting and posting all day.

Together, we'll fight hard to protect Social Security so that future generations can tell stories like the ones we'll be seeing all day online. Thank you for joining me in that fight.

Sincerely,

Harry Reid

2Social security 75 th anniversary Empty Re: Social security 75 th anniversary Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well bush flirted with the very young ppl just getting into the social security, and letting them put the money in the stock market, and not the social security reserves, but when the market crashed this last time, i think that idea went out the window.. i still do the 401, even with the market low, only means u can buy more shares for ur money, it all depends on where its at when u start drawing it out, it would be great to buy now while its down and then later years down the road, it be up, but with the money u save on income tax, on ur payroll, and the money the company matches , i would be crazy not to be in it, the government is paying 25 percent of it now, in the tax i save, thats my top bracket, and when i retire, i will not be in that bracket, i may not have to pay any tax, my mom paid no income tax while retired,

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum