You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SSC

SSC
Admin
State health chief predicts problems with revamped health care system .
http://www.wwltv.com/news/State-health-chief-predicts-insurance-problems-with-revamped-health-care-system-131790063.html

wwltv.com
Posted on October 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Updated today at 10:18 AM

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- Louisiana's health chief says President Barack Obama's health-care program will result in the "cannibalization" of private health insurance by 2014.

State Department of Health and Hospitals Secretary Bruce Greenstein said the national health-care revamp would increase Louisiana's Medicaid rolls by 467,000 people -- about 187,000 of them covered by private insurance plans today.

The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/ng3Dna ) Greenstein told the Rotary Club of Baton Rouge on Wednesday some 1.2 million people are enrolled in Louisiana's health insurance program for the poor today -- most of them children, pregnant women, the elderly and disabled.

He says the federal changes expand that by 40 percent.

He says access to primary care is already challenging today and it will only become more so.

As time goes by, it will be apparant that we went from a system of people who were insured with Medicare and Medicaid to a system of people sitting in long lines waiting, waiting, waiting...in hospital waiting rooms. Exactly as predicted.

Is that prediction based on "Obamaphobia" or the representitive facts in the above post? What difference does it make? The results will be the same. Obama and Obamacare will be rejected.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Already we are seeming the fallout here doctors are refusing to take new Medicare patients without the visit being paid for in cash, Medicaid is limiting prescriptions to 4 a month unless you get a medical override from your Dr. Health clinics are closing at a rapid rate. The explanation is FEDERAL cutbacks, and this is just the beginning. Three friends plus my daughter have tried to get in to see a Dr. in the last 2 weeks, the earliest appointments are 3 MONTHS away. Is this the dark side of just let Grandma die ? Now medicine shortages. Something has to give and soon. This wasn't a problem before the last 3 years and the Doctors are telling patients it will only get worse.

To hell with grandma, I'm worried about ME. I've always been healthy,but I'm not now and I don't think I'll be getting any stronger. When all these people supported Obamacare, they must not have envisioned what would happen. They will hear about it soon enough. Some doctors are holding out and running up their billing now and will drop SSA and SSI patients after the 30th. Then the fun will start.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:To hell with grandma, I'm worried about ME.
Amen.

1000 days of Obama:

1) The national debt has increased $4.2 trillion.

2) The USA spends more than it takes in $4.2 billion every DAY.

3) 2.2 million jobs lost (That's 2,200 every DAY) but new jobs for gov't employees: 140 new 'crats.

4) 3 million more people under the poverty line.

5) 4 million bankruptcies.

6) 2.4 million home forclosures.

7) Gas prices up by 80%

8) Health insurance premiums up by 13%

I know,I know, faux news by the Repub controlled FOX news. So, what is false? What is true? I would add that he has given us an AG who has a question mark floating above his head wherever he goes like some kinda cartoon.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Fox isn't the only one quoting these figures, they are all over the place even newspapers.
I just read where the long range health care plan is axed by Obama, the premiums were going to be almost impossible to pay plus the 5 yr. waiting time to use the plan and the 75 year wait for it to be able to stand on its own were more than even Sebelius could support.

SSC wrote:Fox isn't the only one quoting these figures, they are all over the place even newspapers.
I just read where the long range health care plan is axed by Obama, the premiums were going to be almost impossible to pay plus the 5 yr. waiting time to use the plan and the 75 year wait for it to be able to stand on its own were more than even Sebelius could support.
? Can you clarify this?

SSC

SSC
Admin

Obama Pulls Plug on New Long-Term Care Insurance Program in Health Care Law

Published October 14, 2011
| Associated Press

The Obama administration Friday pulled the plug on a major program in the president's signature health overhaul law -- a long-term care insurance plan dogged from the beginning by doubts over its financial solvency.

Targeted by congressional Republicans for repeal, the long-term care plan became the first casualty in the political and policy wars over the health care law. The program had been expected to launch in 2013.

"This is a victory for the American taxpayer and future generations," said Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., spearheading opposition in the Senate. "The administration is finally admitting (the long-term care plan) is unsustainable and cannot be implemented."

Proponents, including many groups that fought to pass the health care law, have vowed a vigorous effort to rescue the long-term care plan, insisting that Congress gave the administration broad authority to make changes.

Known as CLASS, the Community Living Assistance Services and Supports program was a longstanding priority of the late Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Edward M. Kennedy.

Although sponsored by the government, it was supposed to function as a self-sustaining voluntary insurance plan, open to working adults regardless of age or health. Workers would pay an affordable monthly premium during their careers, and could collect a modest daily cash benefit of at least $50 if they became disabled later in life. Beneficiaries could use the money for services to help them stay at home, or to help with nursing home bills.

But a central design flaw dogged CLASS from the beginning. Unless large numbers of healthy people willingly sign up during their working years, soaring premiums driven by the needs of disabled beneficiaries would destabilize it, eventually requiring a taxpayer bailout.

After months insisting that problems could be resolved, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, finally admitted Friday she doesn't see how that can be done.

"Despite our best analytical efforts, I do not see a viable path forward for CLASS implementation at this time," Sebelius said in a letter to congressional leaders.

The law required the administration to certify that CLASS would remain financially solvent for 75 years before it could be put into place.

But officials said they discovered they could not make CLASS both affordable and financially solvent while keeping it a voluntary program open to virtually all workers, as the law also required.

Monthly premiums would have ranged from $235 to $391, even as high as $3,000 under some scenarios, the administration said. At those prices, healthy people were unlikely to sign up. Suggested changes geared at discouraging enrollment by people in poor health would have opened the program to court challenges, officials said.

"If healthy purchasers are not attracted ... then premiums will increase, which will make it even more unattractive to purchasers who could also obtain policies in the private market," Kathy Greenlee, the lead official on CLASS, said in a memo to Sebelius. That "would cause the program to quickly collapse."

That's essentially the same conclusion that one the government's top experts reached in 2009. Nearly a year before the health care law passed, Richard Foster, head of long-range economic forecasts for Medicare warned administration and congressional officials that CLASS would be unworkable. His warnings were disregarded, as Obama declared his support for adding the long-term care plan to his health care bill.

The demise of CLASS immediately touched off speculation about its impact on the federal budget. Although no premiums are likely to be collected, the program still counts as reducing the federal deficit by about $80 billion over the next ten years. That's because of a rule that would have required workers to pay in for at least five years before they could collect any benefits.

"The CLASS Act was a budget gimmick that might enhance the numbers on a Washington bureaucrat's spreadsheet but was destined to fail in the real world," said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

Administration officials said Obama's next budget would reflect the decision not to go forward. Even without CLASS premiums, they said Obama's health care law will still reduce the deficit by more than $120 billion over 10 years.

Kennedy's original idea was to give families some financial breathing room. The burden of long-term care is growing. Most families cannot afford to hire a home health aide for a frail elder, let alone pay nursing home bills. Long-term care is usually provided by family members, often a spouse who may also have health problems.

Sebelius said Friday the administration remains committed to that larger goal, and wants to work with Congress and supporters of the plan to find a way. But it appears unlikely that CLASS can be salvaged in the foreseeable future. Congressional Republicans say they are committed to its repeal.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/14/obama-pulls-plug-on-new-long-term-care-insurance-program-in-health-care-law/#ixzz1aok1LX1i

Thanks, I was lost.

" Long-term care is usually provided by family members, often a spouse who may also have health problems"

As the population ages, this will be an overwhelming problem without planning. At present, you cannot own property and get Medicaid. SSA doesn't support long term care at all. So, what to do?

I don't know, but we cannot and will not let our old people rot away in warehouses for dying people. We saw the "Russian examole" and that is a nightmare.

At some point in the near future, 10 to 20 years when the "boomers" are all on the skids grave-wise, communities will be forced to come up with solutions tailored to that communitiy's needs and standards. I've seen a few of the local houses and facilities and they are primitive and gloomy. This is something I will face and I don't have a fortune socked away. Although state standards of care must be established and monitored, any centrally funded plan will automaticakky reduce the recipient to a factor in an economic calculation. An "X" in a faceless equation.

I hate to say it,but we may have reached a point where ANY fed plan would not be sustainable if that means it must be self supporting. There will be a time when we will either provide adequate and decent facilities for old people or accept the ugly consequences. There will never be less old people; only more.

gypsy

gypsy
runawayhorses wrote:
meemoon wrote:To hell with grandma, I'm worried about ME.
Amen.
you better be worried ,if the repugs win!

SSC

SSC
Admin
Moon, the whole situation on health care has become a nightmare. People in our age group are struggling to find suitable and affordable care. In this area the Dr. are leaving in droves a scary and very dangerous scenario. Today I called for a routine check-up for my daughter with her primary, the earliest appointment is in late December. ER visits are not the answer for long range care but it seems to be the only way to get care at times and then you wait for hours while Hispanics have the waiting room filled to capacity.
Insurance premiums are on the rise placing yet another burden on the elderly and ill. Something has to give , a reasonable health plan maybe but one that doesn't cripple the very ones it is intended to help.

SSC wrote:Moon, the whole situation on health care has become a nightmare. People in our age group are struggling to find suitable and affordable care. In this area the Dr. are leaving in droves a scary and very dangerous scenario. Today I called for a routine check-up for my daughter with her primary, the earliest appointment is in late December. ER visits are not the answer for long range care but it seems to be the only way to get care at times and then you wait for hours while Hispanics have the waiting room filled to capacity.
Insurance premiums are on the rise placing yet another burden on the elderly and ill. Something has to give , a reasonable health plan maybe but one that doesn't cripple the very ones it is intended to help.
It absolutely AMAZES me that adult human beings cannot do simple arithmetic. Obamacare adds at least 20 million more people to the patient llists without adding one single doctor,nurse,lab tech, medical transcriptionist, hospital bed, and any of the many thousands of support personnel required. How can people be so stupid as to not see the disaster this will be? Do they think their hero, Obama, will make these missing components suddenly appear magically? I've asked this question before, and I have NEVER seen one person explain or even attempt to explain how these shortfalls in infrastructure will be addressed! This is just another case of "belief" being substituted for common sense.

SSC

SSC
Admin
It is becoming very clear with the demise of parts of the health care plan due to obstacles of astronomical funding Obama has it in his head to split the bill tie in his so call job bill and try to push it through in segments, each with hidden taxes . How clever to wait until he would be OUT of office for many parts to take effect. As he refers to it now as Bite Sized Pieces, why not just say mini-stimulus, more wasted funding.
Things like 126 million of the previous stimulus money going to inmate health care in one state, $419,000 in stimulus money wasted during the Wall Street protests on sod in a park that was destroyed, the number are just now emerging $225,000.00 as of yesterday for overtime and extra duty for NYPD for the crowds in NYC.
With people struggling to obtain health care how can these three examples be explained or justified ? And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

There were two driving motives for "healthcare reform" as I remember. One was the realization that healthcare costs were escalating much faster than the inflation rate. The other was the knowledge that old people needing long term care were being forced into marginal facilities paid by Medicaid. When it was shown that Obamacare would save nothing but would increase premiums, Obama issued hundreds of waivers exempting large corps from providing full coverage. Now the long term care provisions are unsupportable and have been abandoned.The two "raison d'etre" are gone and we are left with a monstrosity that few want and nobody knows how to pay for. As we conservatives said: Pelosi rammed this bill through because the bill was based on bad numbers,bad planning, and bad politics. Reading it woulkd have doomed it, so now that we've read it, let's put it down like the bloated, bleeding pig it is.

I personally don't see how we can endeavor to provide universal, low cost healthcare without some form of subsidised healthcare. We can't simply tell providers to "stop charging so much" can we? But we can't afford the rates either,so alternatives must be found. Obamacare ain't it. It is a sham intended to saddle the taxpayer with the same-o system that has fed insurance companies and tort lawyers and supported ever increasing costs.

Allowing a BIG direct income tax deduction for the purchase of health insurance may be a possibility. We may not see Medicaid as "dignified" but it may be our only benefit for the poor that we can afford. The tax plan would allow the feds to establish minimum coverage standards for those who provide it and could streamline the system overall.

I see it like this: Right now, you can buy a cheap brand new car for about half the $24,000 average purchase amount. That car will be small, slow, and have only basic equipment but it will have a full warranty and it will be safe. But not everybody buys them do they? Some want more car just like some will demand more health coverage.

And what about auto insurance? The rates vary wildly and I've received quotes from one major company for rates nearly twice the amount quoted by a basic "minimum coverage" provider ($566 vs. $1024). Why? Because some insurers target a specific insurance need and structure their policies and services to provide that level of coverage. Why not this for health insurance?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum