You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tampa's Welcome sign Empty Tampa's Welcome sign Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 pm

gypsy

gypsy

The GOP’s not-so-friendly welcome sign from neighborhood Democrats

Posted: Aug 22, 2012 4:21 AM CDT Updated: Aug 22, 2012 4:21 AM CDT
By: Jeremy Campbell, FOX 13 News - bio

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/19338469/2012/08/22/the-gops-not-so-friendly-welcome-sign-from-neighborhood-democrats?a
TAMPA (FOX 13) -

It's the drive down I-275 every delegate will travel to get from the airport to downtown.

When they do, they'll see a full-size billboard welcoming them to Tampa.

Or is it?

"This doesn't speak at all for unity and the things that we want to do, and the way that we want to represent Tampa," said Robin Vosler of Adonai Communications.

The real message is clear.

The billboard states Tampa "is a city where the mayor and all council members are Democrats."

It's not exactly the welcome wagon for the GOP.

"It just really undermines all the efforts from Democrats and Republicans that has been from the residents of this city to put this on," Vosler said.

That's not true, according to the co-founder of Ruth's List Florida.

That's the pro-women-in-politics group that paid for the ad.

"It was done, I think, politely and civically, and we certainly didn't mean anything mean spirited but rather just a statement of fact," said Ellis Robinson.

It is a fact Tampa's top political spot is held by a democrat who happens to be one of the biggest cheerleaders in supporting the bipartisan benefit of hosting the RNC.

"This our coming out party, we are going to make Tampa proud, and we are going to shine," said Mayor Bob Buckhorn on Aug. 10.

The sign, sure to be seen by thousands, may not be a bright spot for Republicans, but many say all is fair in politics.

"We felt that it was important that they realize they are clearly in the largest swing state in the country and one good way to do that is to recognize the Democrats in Tampa are the ones in charge of making Tampa a wonderful town," Robinson said.

"There are plenty of democrats helping put this thing together," said Mike Hammonds.

He's a Democrat doing his part by actually volunteering at the Republican Convention.

"I want to showcase what Tampa has to offer and help establish something that maybe people are visiting us have never experienced before," he said.

2Tampa's Welcome sign Empty Re: Tampa's Welcome sign Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:23 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Tampa's Welcome sign 19239 Oh my a Fox post from Gypsy...

3Tampa's Welcome sign Empty Re: Tampa's Welcome sign Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:39 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
LOL, I seen this on the news this morning. Quite frankly I don't think its much of a welcome, more like a slap in the face to Republicans. It is in no way representative of Florida or Tampa, because this is a swing state with just as many Republicans as Democrats. So obviously a lot of people in FL object to this sign. But Tampa is run by Democrats, but I think its a bit of a stretch for Democrats to take full responsibility for the city's success. They need Republicans too. They do not run the state, the state of Florida is a swing state. And if you go to Miami you'll see a bunch of swingers..lmao

4Tampa's Welcome sign Empty Re: Tampa's Welcome sign Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I agree Tyler seems to be disrespectful and a black-eye on all the preparations being made to welcome the Republicans , but then Biden is planning a stop during the convention in Tampa also. Maybe a hurricane will blow him in another direction..lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum