You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SSC

SSC
Admin
Charlie Brown Embroiled in Christmas Controversy

Nov 19, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A stage version of the beloved holiday classic “A Charlie Brown Christmas” has sparked a constitutional controversy at a Little Rock, Ark. grade school.

Students at Terry Elementary School had been invited to attend an upcoming performance of the show at Agape Church. Teachers sent home letters informing parents that a school bus would shuttle children to and from the school-day show.

Pamela Smith, the communications director for the Little Rock School District, told Fox News that students were not required to attend the performance and as far as the district is concerned – there is no controversy.

“The teachers wanted to provide an opportunity for cultural enrichment for students through a holiday production and are supported by the principal,” Smith said. “Because it will be held at a church, as some public events often are, a letter was sent home with students so parents who took exception and wished to have their children remain at school could do so.”

She said to date no parent has expressed an concerns to the school principal.

However, at least one parent objected to the field trip and contacted the Arkansas Society of Freethinkers, a self-described community of atheists, agnostics and humanists.

“The problem is that it’s got religious content and it’s being performed in a religious venue and that doesn’t just blur the line between church and state — it oversteps it entirely,” attorney Anne Orsi told Arkansas Matters. “We’re not saying anything bad about Charlie Brown.”

Orsi is vice-president of the organization. She told television station KNWA that the concerned parent did not want to be identified.

“The parents that we know in this this situation are reluctant to speak up because they are concerned about their kids being singled out and bullied,” she told the television station.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” was the first prime-time animated television special featuring the Peanuts characters. It touched on the over-commercialization of Christmas and reminded viewers of the true meaning of the season.

The show features a poignant moment when Linus recites passages of scripture from the Gospel of Luke — noting the birth of Jesus Christ.

“And that’s what Christmas is all about,” Linus said.

“While everyone loves Charlie Brown, the religious content of the program is a problem, as is the trip to a church to see it,” Orsi wrote on the group’s Facebook page. “Oddly enough, not all kids at the school are Christian, and their parents don’t want them singled out as ‘different.’ Who’d a thunk it?”

Smith told Fox News the school district does not “promote or encourage students to support any religious affiliation.”

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well that makes sense, I can understand the being held in a Church issue, but personally I would just think of it as a building and nothing else. I would be thrilled for my kids to see Charlie Brown Christmas in a Church. But the Schools have to be careful not to 'require' the kids to go to a Church as part of there lessons, I can understand there position on that. Its a fun thing to go see Charlie Brown in a Church and should not be confused as a lesson taught in schools, so therefore I agree with the Principle not making it a requirement. The parents that have a problem with it need to lighten up, it should not be a requirement and its not. So they have nothing to complain about.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum