You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What is wrong with our country ? Empty What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
This should be on the front page of every newspaper.

Charley Reese's Final column!

A very interesting column. COMPLETELY NEUTRAL.
Be sure to Read the Poem at the end..

Charley Reese's final column for the Orlando Sentinel... He has been a journalist for 49 years. He is retiring and this is HIS LAST COLUMN.

Be sure to read the Tax List at the end.

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

545 vs. 300,000,000 People
-By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.. ( The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.)

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House?( John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. ) If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to. [The House has passed a budget but the Senate has not approved a budget in over three years. The President's proposed budgets have gotten almost unanimous rejections in the Senate in that time. ]

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it's because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan ..

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.
Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses. Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees... We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

What you do with this article now that you have read it... is up to you.
This might be funny if it weren't so true.
Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the heck happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
I hope this goes around THE USA at least 545 times!!! YOU can help it get there!!!

GO AHEAD. . . BE AN AMERICAN!!!

2What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Good last entry I enjoyed the poem, it really makes you wonder what went wrong. Taxes for every damn thing you do now when before there wasn't and we were fine financially.

3What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I disagree with most of this,not all of it ,but most.
,Congress is your spenders they appropriate money, and where it goes..of course the President can veto it..
I also disagree that the senate has not passed a bill,it also has to pass in congress, who rejects most of the Democratic Senates bills

your congress headed by Boehner has less approval, as a root canal!! their approval is around 4.8% now

I think there were no taxes when Lincoln was president, I will check for sure,I think FDR is the President who introduced Taxation..

a question? how would the country work with out taxes as revenue?

4What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Gypsy this is aimed at BOTH parties, they BOTH have screwed up things so bad it will take decades to correct.

5What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

gypsy

gypsy
ok on the screw up,what did democrats screw up?? do you know?
after all the Dems did not cause this mess.. The congress( Repubs) has filibustered 386 bills,since 2006!!
were they functioning then? and are they now??

we have a very smart president ,who has been treated very poorly,lies,mostly from republicans
to bring this country back to good,,what do we get from republican/congress! to get rid of him? that didn't work!!

They don't approve anything he does,they did it with Clinton, they will continue to do it..
I have to also say you Southern state,,get rid of your prejudice,,the South is beautiful!
your beliefs past, and now are hurting our country,it will never be slaves again

The Grudge is gone..

Last edited by gypsy on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

6What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
They had control for 2 years in Obama's first term, what did they accomplish ? Not a damn thing. When Dems learn to remove pork and stick to the real issues then a compromise will work, but as long a honey bee studies, turtle bridges and concord grape research funding is added it will never happen. Now with the new taxing on BlueCross and a 20% increase on insurance premiums and medical procedures that big cost of living raise isn't gonna be a drop in the bucket for what will be coming out of peoples pockets , you know the middle class that wasn't suppost to be hurt by any of this.

7What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Read!! SSC, it is called Filibustering>> those you mention is nonsensical
The republic bluff,you continue it without thought! it is time to wake up Southerns

8What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:55 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Sucks to be A Democrat then I guess.
What the heck is the racial pity train doing in your post ? and where did that come from ??? Really Gypsy another low for you....SMH

9What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

gypsy

gypsy
nope!! doesn't suck!! we the people it is called.. we won,the ability to make American strong again.
.America Spoke!Voted,even after all the Repugs did to stop it..

Good for the people will prevail..it will continue..

10What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Avoiding your racial slur ???

11What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 pm

gypsy

gypsy
nope didn't make one.. it is a wake up call.

so are you going to bully me to shut up?

Truth Hurts? so if I don't you ban me?

12What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:21 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
You have been told once We The People is not just Democrats, Obama won not by a landslide and honestly the Republican candidate lacked something to be desired, but there are millions of citizens who are not happy with the way this country is headed, the time to blame Bush is over, now Obama must stand on his own failures and be held accountable, especially as he tries to rewrite the constitution to suit him. Taxes, lost jobs, now the report more have died during the Obama watch in Afghanistan than under Bush, not looking good for your boy for sure.

13What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 pm

gypsy

gypsy
HAHA yes he did.now your living In nether world!! of course there are people that don't agree.,but we move forward to work together,you republicans don't seem to have that ability,,we lived through bush/cheney,two wars .. maybe you should give, and learn a bit..

14What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I pay more in taxes than you make on SS in a year so don't tell me about giving.
I don't intend to ban you, but I will issue another warning if you continue to drag politics on every subject on this board.

15What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm

gypsy

gypsy
haha so now were moving into What?? I paid more taxes from working/inheritances than you can think of! Fair is not called republican..
if you continue with politics,on every topic,,why can't I respond?? is that the typical republican shut down?
in the 52 years we have paid in,we have the right to call your republicans out
.They tax us working class way before the rich,you and your republicans, have no solutions..period

Look back!! the proof is there, the republican party hurts more than helps

16What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
You and your democrats only can write hot checks this country can't cover.
It is your democrate president that is taxing you, but I thought he said he wouldn't tax middle class, you keep avoiding that subject. Impossible to deny it, the new SS payroll taxes shocked millions, Obama swore there would be no taxes. So that makes him a liar simple, that fell out of his mouth.

17What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 pm

gypsy

gypsy
No! Bush did that, and the US credit cards..you know ssc thought you smarter than this..it is interesting!

taxes on the rich!! not us middle class..we will fight for middle class,you know
they are trying to eliminate us.. are you middle class SSC? what bracket do you fall into?

18What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:47 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
No my income is not in middle class, why would that matter.

19What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:59 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Because it does!! on who should be supported.. the middle class pays and supports our country,,Simple fact..

20What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
But your president wants the top 2% to foot the bill with 49% taxes, remember tax the wealthy and no tax on middle but he lied and is taxing everyone. You just don't seem to understand that, and if you have a 401K hold on to your socks the taxes on them is going out of sight, you will have increased property tax and I'm sure you file your taxes wait till you see the deductions you won't be getting. Investments unless it is property are useless in this country, shifting to the Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden is the way to go if you want to protect your money.

21What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 am

gypsy

gypsy
No,you need classes! our president wants the richest to pay their fair share,which they aren't big corp's to not get loop holes, pay their fair share..

do you think ,mind frame.

Republicans are born republicans?? LOL

22What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:46 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Envy is a horrible emotion and it now seems you as a Democrate want people to be as miserable as you are. Thank god I am republican and aware of saving and investing and assuring myself of a very comfortable life.
You don't understand the concept of how this will cripple small businesses, the tax plan is based on gross profit. Many make a large amount but after payroll, taxes, insurance, maintance , the profit line is much lower but the gov. will still cripple them till they close down and put more people out of work, this is the Dem. mind frame they can't see the end results are destroying the very heart of this country.

23What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 am

gypsy

gypsy
AHA is that all you got
!Envy!!
I assure you I don't.
is that the best fight you have for people hurting?
I have nothing to envy from your like..
no empathy,love for others?
your true colors show,SSC Shame on you and your ilk

I know you can delete my response..I am ashamed of y.
,I thought you better. no anger here, just sorrow..

24What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
LMAO...I need nothing from you but civility, what I have and what I do with it is none of your business. If you are content to live on what the gov. wants you to have monthly go for it, cut corners, sweat medical bills, worry about groceries being so over priced you can't afford extras, worry about future medical procedures your gov. might just deny you because of your age. Worry about death and inheritance taxes , worry about being a burden on your family when nursing homes become so over priced your gov. money won't cover it. I refuse to live that way. I don't care if your gov. is driving up milk to $8.00 a gallon. I planned many years ahead and have nothing that concerns me. Believe me I pay my fair share and then some, the true middle class will survive but the lower class will sink into oblivion and turn to the streets or the meager hand outs your gov. sees fit for them to live on. But it is ok to give your legislatures a pay raise and the very best insurance ( not what they are cramming down the middle class throat )If you think your gov. cares for you think again, the middle class is a thorn in the gov. side and they will make it as hard to survive as possible. Those with health problems both mental and physical will be pushed aside, how do you honestly think your gov. can pay for all the ones to be added to medicare and medicaid, by cutting back services, limiting what is accepted and giving minimal service to others.
Why are doctors already refusing to see medicare patients, medicaid patients being refused, they are now a burden your gov. can't handle. Your gov. may not be able to issue medicare or military checks next month and tax refunds are now in jeopardy. But remember your gov. is working for the people but maybe not in the ways it should be.

25What is wrong with our country ? Empty Re: What is wrong with our country ? Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I can say the same to you..civility. you have to earn it., you have never showed me any.. I have tried over and over..
I don't live on what I earned for fifty years..I have my savings.
some people have to live on their Social security,it isn't a government hand out they earned it..
I have not seen n anyone turned away here in Kentucky, that have medicaid or medicare..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum