You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SSC

SSC
Admin
Silicon Valley Company Busted for Paying Workers in Mexican Pesos

Published February 06, 2013

Fox News Latino

Bloom Energy, a Silicon Valley start up, introduced the "Bloom Box," a solid oxide fuel cell device that can generate electricity at a cost of 8 to 10 cents per kilowatt hour using natural gas. (2010 Getty Images)

A major clean energy manufacturer based in Silicon Valley has been found guilty of paying 14 workers, brought in from Mexico, in Mexican pesos to the equivalent of $2.66 per hour, according to a U.S. Labor Department investigation.

A U.S. District Judge ruled Monday that Bloom Energy Corporation violated the minimum wage, overtime and record-keeping provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Bloom Energy, a manufacturer of clean energy power generating systems for companies like Google, Walmart, Coca-Cola, FedEx and eBay, must now pay the Mexican nationals $31,922 in back wages, an equal amount in liquidated damages, as well as $6,160 in civil money penalties.

"It is appalling that this was happening right in the heart of Silicon Valley, one of the wealthiest per capita areas in the U.S.," said Ruben Rosalez, regional administrator for the Wage and Hour Division in the West, in a Labor Department statement.

Bloom Energy is a private company with an estimated value at $2.7 billion.

The specific jobs the 14 workers completed is unknown, but the Labor Department has ordered Bloom Energy to not ship the goods produced in violation of the FLSA.

According to the FLSA, nonexempt employees must be paid at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25.

"The department remains vigilant in protecting the rights of vulnerable workers," Rosalez said. "And to ensuring they are paid the wages they have rightfully earned."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2013/02/06/silicon-valley-company-busted-for-paying-workers-in-mexican-pesos/#ixzz2K92eCIcH

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
What a disgrace Bloom Energy is, that is so typical of big business to crap all over the poor and vulnerable. I do not condemn the other companies that were in business with them especially Google, because its very possible and probable they didn't know, its not there place to oversee how Bloom Energy pays there employees.

I can guarantee you one company that is appalled over this, is Google, I have never seen a company that treats there employees as well as them, they have top-notch employee benefits. If you work for Google you have it made, if you're an employee you get free haircuts, free gourmet food for lunches and dinner, on-site doctors.

Here's a small example of Google's benefits:

Google Benefits

• Fun stuff around the office, including bocce ball courts, bowling alleys, and a giant climbing wall

• Free gourmet food

• On-site medical care

• Travel insurance, even for personal vacations

• Paid maternity leave, for moms and dads (18 weeks & 6 weeks, respectively)

• Reimbursement for classes and degree programs completed while an employee

• Free legal advice and low-cost legal representation

• Occasional product giveaways, like customized Galaxy Nexus smartphones

They even have a death plan. "If you are a Google employee and happen to meet your end, your spouse or domestic partner will continue to receive 50% of your salary for an entire decade. Not only that, but there’s no tenure requirement to be eligible for this perk. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been working for the company, you’ll receive the same death benefit as everyone else. That’s a big commitment to Google’s 34,000-odd employees."

It’s nice to hear that Google takes care of their own in life and in death.

SSC

SSC
Admin
All I can say is WOW, I had no idea Google was such a caring company for their employees that is good to know.

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Tyler you made it a lol! ll up

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
what? I don't understand your comment. If you're suggesting I made it up well no I didn't, its fact, just search the information yourself to find out.

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:what? I don't understand your comment. If you're suggesting I made it up well no I didn't, its fact, just search the information yourself to find out.

Well it ain't gonna happen here in little old England.

Will you be visiting the very old and the rather large John & Mable Ringling mansion.
On the estate in Sarasota, FL,

All right for some...

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
So you were shocked into disbelief at how Google treats there employees to the extent you thought I made it up, I love it when that happens..lol

No I'm not gonna visit that mansion in Sarasota I didn't even know about it.

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:So you were shocked into disbelief at how Google treats there employees to the extent you thought I made it up, I love it when that happens..lol

No I'm not gonna visit that mansion in Sarasota I didn't even know about it.

The amenities are mainly in their Zurich Switzerland offices. Also, the employees are the cream of the crop.

The above has been subjected to exstensive research.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
No, every employee gets all those benefits, and its main offices are in the United States.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Maybe this video news report will help convenience you. This office in the video is in Silicon Valley in San Francisco California, in the United States.

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Only for intellergent Nerds ....

and for Top Notch Personnel...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/google.asp

The applications are 50feet high.

So as I said the Cream of the crop ... so Google can squeeze what it can out of them.

So Mountain View is only for the hand picked people.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Ok Candy have it your way it makes no difference to me what you think.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum