You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1McCains running mate? Empty McCains running mate? Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:10 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Bobby Jindal of La, may be McCains runing mate, i like what he stands for, so far~ what do others think?

2McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:06 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Jindal is in the list, he is having a few ethic issues, I don't feel he has the experiance yet to be VP.

3McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:07 pm

gypsy

gypsy
just one out of many comments on Jindal

VicePresidents.Com
www.vicepresidents.com/mccain-veepwatch-who-bobby-jindal - 20k -

McCain VEEPwatch: Who Is Bobby Jindal?
By Jennn - Posted on May 23rd, 2008

When I first caught the buzz about Bobby Jindal, I thought it was nothing more than a pipe dream. "Who is this guy anyway?" I wondered. "And who is he to really compete with the likes of Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee for the #2 spot?" I was reading the India Times and thought it just sounded like more of the same "Wouldn't it be COOL if we had a black president or a woman president?" chatter.

However, after closer inspection, there are a few qualifications that'd make him the right McCain VEEP at the right time...

* He was appointed secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH) in 1996, where he turned the $400 million DHH defecit into a $220 surplus. This shows that he knows the ins and out of the health care system, which the American public so desperately wants reformed. This also shows that he's a conservative spender and knows how to balance a budget.
* In 1998, he was appointed executive director of the National Bipartisan Commission where he investigated the Future of Medicare (another area we'd want the next administration to fix).
* In 2001, he worked as the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
* In 2005, he spent a term in the House of Representatives. There he worked on several worthwhile committees: Homeland Security, Resources and Education & the Workforce. (Since McCain is "tough on terror," the Department of Homeland Security credentials complement the ticket nicely.)
* As governor of Louisiana, Jindal ran on a platform of "ethics reform" (which is very much akin to what McCain is running on now with his "straight-talkin, pork-cutting" agenda). Jindal passed his reform measures regarding transparent financial disclosures, eliminated lobbyist-funded meals/sporting event tickets for public officials and earned Louisians a 99/100 score from the Center for Public Integrity.

As far as policy goes, he sees eye to eye with McCain on a number of issues. He's Hindu by birth but a Roman-Catholic convert with staunchly conservative pro-life views and could help draw undecided Evangelical voters. Imagine -- Rush Limbaugh called Jindal "the next Ronald Reagan!" (Squeezing a compliment out of that guy is like getting the Democrats and Republicans to actually agree upon and pass a law.)

Some people say that Jindal's been busy with the McCain camp and cite his absence from the governorship as evidence that he's campaigning for VP. Ruminations intensified when John McCain took a trip down to Louisiana on April 24th and spoke alongside Jindal. If you feel one's Internet presence is indicative of their ambitions, just take a gander at Jindal's website and how surprisingly in-depth and professional it is. (Adding a "Jindal for VP" customization would be a quick and easy edit.)

Although, only one year into his first term as governor, it seems that Jindal would be making a hasty exit from his responsibilities when Louisiana needs him most. Some speculate that running for the #2 position could destroy his chances for a future presidential run too. Jindal has already lost a bid for governor (2003) and if a McCain-Jindal ticket were to bomb, he'd probably have to kiss his political future goodbye.

Last edited by gypsy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 am; edited 3 times in total

4McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:17 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Jindal attended several meetings with McCain at his own expense, only one was taken from his funds , also the Gov. of Florida was courted as were several others, this all took place several weeks ago, not real current news.

5McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:17 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Recall fever spreads to Jindal
by Robert Travis Scott, The Times-Picayune
Friday June 27, 2008, 8:09 PM
In a sign that the public frustration about the legislative pay raise has spread to Gov. Bobby Jindal's base, a political novice and former Jindal supporter from Jefferson Parish has filed a recall petition against him.

Ryan and Kourtney Fournier of Jefferson submitted paperwork to the secretary of state's office that allows them to attempt to collect the nearly 1 million signatures needed during the next 180 days to force a recall election of the governor. The papers were mailed Thursday and arrived Friday.

Ryan Fournier, 32, said he is a registered Republican and was "a huge supporter for Bobby."

"Everybody feels a little frustration with the governor right now," Ryan Fournier said. "He's not doing what we elected him to do."

Fournier said he was the one behind the effort and that his wife, Kourtney, has been shocked at the news media attention for their recall petition.

Public anger about a legislative pay raise has bubbled up in the past two weeks, with several House members targeted with recall petitions. Lawmakers during the recent legislative session raised their annual base salary from $16,800 to $37,500 effective Tuesday.

Jindal has been criticized for his inability to stop the raise before it was passed and his refusal since then to veto the pay raise bill. He pledged during his gubernatorial campaign last year to prohibit an immediate legislative pay raise, but he now appears to be willing to let that happen. The governor has until July 8 to veto the bill or it will become law.

The Fourniers have no special financing or organization to conduct a recall campaign. And they have a tall task ahead: They have to collect verified signatures from at least one-third of the registered voters in the state. With nearly 2.9 million registered voters in Louisiana, they need more than 959,000 signatures to trigger a recall election.

If Jindal vetoes the bill, the recall will be called off, Ryan Fournier said.

"Jindal himself can make it easy for me, or he can make it hard," he said.

A recall election would be a statewide referendum voting up or down on whether to depose the governor. If a majority voted for a recall, Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu would become governor for the remainder of the term, according to the secretary of state's office.

Landrieu "wouldn't be my choice," Ryan Fournier said. "I don't feel that would be my fault. If Jindal had done what he had told everyone he was going to do, that wouldn't be a question."

Jindal released a statement in response to the recall petition:

"The voters of our state are angry that the Legislature more than doubled their own pay, and I agree with them. It was excessive, and they should reverse it. I'm sure more voters will take extraordinary steps to show their anger over the pay raise before this is all said and done -- that's how a democracy works."

A territory manager for a technology company, Fournier said he has no political experience, but he realizes the immense challenge of gathering so many signatures. The effort is a way "to get my point across," he said.

He plans to set up a Web site to assist the effort.

Any registered voter in Louisiana can file a recall petition for free. The law allows several recall campaigns against the governor simultaneously, but they cannot share signatures

6McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:14 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Jindal vetoed the pay raise this morning

7McCains running mate? Empty Re: McCains running mate? Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:29 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i could go and find this, adn i may, but on fox when i got home. it was being discussed, that macCain , is also flirting with the idea of a female running mate, whos was i think the previous govenor of alaska, she is not well known but kinda good looking and smart, lol said to be smart on energy,,adn i think is for drilling in anwar, as macain is not, and i think i heard that drilling in anwar would not be but in a small area of it and not in some off the most pristine places there, the funny thing is i dought most ppl even knew there was a place in alaska called anwar till the oil issue made it famous.. they all say on all new places it will take like atleast 5 years to get oil but if u read how much more oil the world will be using in 5 years i say drill anywhere it is safe, i dont know the former alaska gov name but will find it, and post, adn try to find an article about it, ,it was only on fox when i got home as a possiblity for macain,
i believe i heard she is fairly conservative, and strong pro life, not sure but macain may have met with her or not,lol take care

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum