3 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped 3 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced 1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped 1/2 pound fresh small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup cooked rice 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning Salt to taste
1/2 pound lump crabmeat 1/3 to 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
Lemon slices and chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Melt 1/2 cup butter in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in eggplant, bell pepper, onion, garlic, green onion and celery. Continue to cook about 15 minutes, stir-ring occasionally. Add shrimp, rice, parsley, Italian seasoning and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is pink and translucent, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add crabmeat to eggplant mixture with enough bread crumbs to absorb remaining butter. Spoon into individual ramekins. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and dot with butter. Bake until tops are browned. Garnish with lemon and parsley. Serve immediately. Serves 4-6

2Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:16 pm

gypsy

gypsy
SSC that sounds good, I will try this~ thanks~

3Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:12 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Gypsy, I will look up a few more , I have mountains of cookbooks and made dishes as the garden produced, for years I wrote them in the backs of my books

4Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:18 pm

gypsy

gypsy
My Garden has gone crazy, eggplant out the gazoo` lol everything ,but tomatoes haven't done well.. I do that too,then have to try to remember which one i wrote it in..I do it at random`

5Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
This sounds really good "Cajun" style!

Have you ever had whats called "Blackened" fish. Its one of my favorite ways to eat seafood, its a grouper seasoned with cajun seasonings and cooked on a very high temp skillet. Thats all I know about it but I get it at a seafood restaurant in Vero Beach. I need to get back over their for a weekend sometime.

6Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:05 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
We do blackened redfish and catfish..you use a cast iron skillet it must be in a well ventilated area as it smokes, Emerill has the best blacken seasoning I have used.

7Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 pm

gypsy

gypsy
that is how I do my blackened fish` I agree with emerils seasoning~ is the best~

8Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:09 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Oh yes you're right it's "redfish" that they used, and I guess that's the most common fish to use for that blackened style. I don't know why I was thinking grouper.

9Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:12 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Tyler i think u can blacken any type fish,I may be wrong though,I have blackened catfish`

10Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:16 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yeah I guess any type fish would work..lol I was thinking along the lines of 'seafood' when I said grouper but then I remembered it was redfish I had, but yes catfish would be great too I would think.

11Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:13 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Any fish with firm meat texture can be used, catfish works very well

12Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:51 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:We do blackened redfish and catfish..you use a cast iron skillet it must be in a well ventilated area as it smokes, Emerill has the best blacken seasoning I have used.

wow, this goes back so many years, i forgot how many, but when blackened redfish was so popular, ok on shear memory, the cajun chef, paul prudhommes i think , was he not one of the first to make blackened redfish so popular. i remember this being said, that the dish was so popular, they were worried about over fishing the redfish, i dont remember if they suggested a limit on them or not, i do remember that being said even if it were not true, but it could have been and probably was atleast 20 years ago, i remember the first blackened fish i had. it was in a resterant in panama city, not sure of the name , i think the tresure ship, anyway, it was made like a ship, gosh my kids were kids,now they blacken so many things not just fish but yalll know that, take care

13Cajun Eggplant Empty Re: Cajun Eggplant Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:17 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Rosco you are right, the blackened fish became such a huge hit there were limits placed on redfish , there is still a length limit and catch limit today

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum