You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1with the election Empty with the election Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:54 pm

gypsy

gypsy
coming closer, tension mounts,
but so far,I don't think it has gotten to ugly in mud slinging..

2with the election Empty Re: with the election Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:09 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
with the election 729264

3with the election Empty Re: with the election Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:11 pm

gypsy

gypsy
with the election 393252

4with the election Empty Re: with the election Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 pm

gypsy

gypsy
it is funny how things have changed,50 years ago we would never challenge,or voice our views about the president, private yes,public no~~ we can now,,,,I think that is good,it is patriotic

5with the election Empty Re: with the election Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Well that is a new term ..Patriotic ...I always associated that with flag waving and supporting troops , flying a flag on the appropriate holidays not cutting a President up in shreds.
I really believe that comes under the heading of Freedom of Speech and I do think that has been around for quite a few years.

6with the election Empty Re: with the election Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:it is funny how things have changed,50 years ago we would never challenge,or voice our views about the president, private yes,public no~~ we can now,,,,I think that is good,it is patriotic
im not downing ur post , just wanted to say, we did voice public our views 50 years ago,almost 50 years ago was the kennedy , nixon television debates, i was a kid but i remember my dad and uncles arguing politics on that election, my uncles were for kennedy since they were in the steel workers union, my dad usually voted republican and voted for nixon, i guess since my dad was kinda in a business and was his own boss, i remember the debate, nixon did not take makup, on his face and sweated alot, kennedy took makup and looked much better on camera, was a big factor in the election, but that issue of that tv debate has been talked about for years, i was in the 5 grade adn we voted in the class room on elections even the govenor, and debated for mainly the govenors race when i was in the 5 grade, it was degraffenred, the republican and george wallace the democrate, of course wallace won , ran for a second term, then could not run, but his wife ran in his place and she won, she later had cancer and died, someone else was govenor, then wallace could run again and he did after he was shot, he never was the same, he was in constant pain but he won,,,, probably the most popular govenor our state has ever had or will ever have, he changed, adn even got heavy black vote, in his later elections, and he put more blacks into state office, than anyone had, oh well im rambling. i do remember talk radio, as i had a small transistor radio that santa brought at christmas,, and listen in bed at night when all the racial stuff happened here, it was a a call in show called " the ppl speak" dave cambelll was the radio host, all this from a kids memory,

7with the election Empty Re: with the election Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
rosco 357 wrote:
gypsy wrote:it is funny how things have changed,50 years ago we would never challenge,or voice our views about the president, private yes,public no~~ we can now,,,,I think that is good,it is patriotic
im not downing ur post , just wanted to say, we did voice public our views 50 years ago,almost 50 years ago was the kennedy , nixon television debates, i was a kid but i remember my dad and uncles arguing politics on that election, my uncles were for kennedy since they were in the steel workers union, my dad usually voted republican and voted for nixon, i guess since my dad was kinda in a business and was his own boss, i remember the debate, nixon did not take makup, on his face and sweated alot, kennedy took makup and looked much better on camera, was a big factor in the election, but that issue of that tv debate has been talked about for years, i was in the 5 grade adn we voted in the class room on elections even the govenor, and debated for mainly the govenors race when i was in the 5 grade, it was degraffenred, the republican and george wallace the democrate, of course wallace won , ran for a second term, then could not run, but his wife ran in his place and she won, she later had cancer and died, someone else was govenor, then wallace could run again and he did after he was shot, he never was the same, he was in constant pain but he won,,,, probably the most popular govenor our state has ever had or will ever have, he changed, adn even got heavy black vote, in his later elections, and he put more blacks into state office, than anyone had, oh well im rambling. i do remember talk radio, as i had a small transistor radio that santa brought at christmas,, and listen in bed at night when all the racial stuff happened here, it was a a call in show called " the ppl speak" dave cambelll was the radio host, all this from a kids memory,
I'd say rosco pretty much blew Gypsy's theory out of the water about how things have changed.. lol!

8with the election Empty Re: with the election Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:42 pm

gypsy

gypsy
yep, he did, I had forgot that epic,but he was fixing to be impeached so I guess that got the ball rolling, maybe i should have said 100 years ago, but I wasn't here yet LOL then it would have been called treason? wasn't Bush trying to get that law brought back?

9with the election Empty Re: with the election Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:24 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:yep, he did, I had forgot that epic,but he was fixing to be impeached so I guess that got the ball rolling, maybe i should have said 100 years ago, but I wasn't here yet LOL then it would have been called treason? wasn't Bush trying to get that law brought back?

that epic had nothing to do with impeachment since kennedy won,in that tv debate election after eisenhower was the pres,,,, , but when nixon was president after johnson, i think ,, i know he had to go but actually i liked him as a president, he made some good strides with china, and with russia, oh well nite, in fairness i may have not understood ur post, nite,

10with the election Empty Re: with the election Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 am

gypsy

gypsy
doesn't matter,..

11with the election Empty Re: with the election Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:14 pm

reminiscing with Archie Bunker
I always thought he was simply meant to be funny, but apparently he represents the average American :-)

12with the election Empty Re: with the election Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I think "average" is a stretch to assume, more like 30% I would say. But we all know, of course, that Archie is an exaggeration occupying all the ridiculous qualities of a bigot. But in all reality most people, even less than 30%, are as extreme as Archie is. People that mirror Archie are at a low 5% I would say. But of course, those are just my guesses based on my experiences.

13with the election Empty Re: with the election Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 pm

runawayhorses wrote:I think "average" is a stretch to assume, more like 30% I would say. But we all know, of course, that Archie is an exaggeration occupying all the ridiculous qualities of a bigot. But in all reality most people, even less than 30%, are as extreme as Archie is. People that mirror Archie are at a low 5% I would say. But of course, those are just my guesses based on my experiences.
The funniest episodes were the ones with Archie and Jefferson.
Marvellous, prejudiced from both sides. :-)
I take your word for the mentioned 30 percent; it sounds like a reasonable assumption.
My neighbour often sounds like Archie Bunker, LMAO

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum