You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1gypsys ice storm,, Empty gypsys ice storm,, Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:42 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy is going on 5 days without power, this is sat the jan 31st, but said they all are fine, i saw the ice storm now on the news, it covered alot of states, take care

2gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:12 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Nice to know you heard from her, I am sure as we all do who live in storm susceptible areas , they were well prepared, plus the advance notice of the ice storm coming.

3gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:00 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I am at my daughters for a bit. will see everyone, when my power is back

4gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:02 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Good to see you're back Gypsy, is your power back or are you at your daughters house?

5gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Hi Tyler our power is on after two weeks..what a great job our repair men,here,from neighboring states and other places, and national guards are.. how people come together to help each other. what a wonderful country..
I was at my daughters, so Jerry and Christie could watch super Bowl~ lol
we don't realize how thankful we should be, until we have to live without electricity,water ,phones, and computers lol~

Thank you, for the welcome back..

6gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:48 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yeah I know what its like to go without electricity, it happens often here in Florida. I have my computers on a battery backup so when the electric goes out they don't shutdown, it buys me time to logout correctly and reserve power if I want to power back up again with the power still out. Everything else in the house is dead if the electric goes out..lol

Glad you made it through alright.. cheers

7gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:02 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I got a lot of reading done, Thank Goodness for Coleman lanterns~
it takes a lot of creativity ,and imagination during a power outage.. Whoohoo!lol!

8gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:39 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Been there done that..6 weeks during Katrina with no power, I learned to bake a cake on the BBQ pit.. cheers

9gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Yeah I know what its like to go without electricity, it happens often here in Florida. I have my computers on a battery backup so when the electric goes out they don't shutdown, it buys me time to logout correctly and reserve power if I want to power back up again with the power still out. Everything else in the house is dead if the electric goes out..lol

Glad you made it through alright.. cheers

i was advised by a tech to use a battery backup on my pc as i was loosing my ip address, he thought it might be power glitches, but no that did not fix it or a new modem did not, it must have been on the polls because it just fixed itself, i may have told this, but i did not mind the battery backup, when the power does go out for a few seconds, like if im typing on this forum or elsewhere, i don't loose it, but the tech told me a battery backup is one of the best power surge protectors, but i use a surge protector also as i had one, so i run the battery backup off the power surge strip, ,,

10gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
My battery backup is also a surge protector all in one, its made for computers. It gives me about 20 minutes of continuous power if the electric goes out with no fluctuation in the current. Also, if your computer just snaps off from a power outage it doesn't allow you to log out of windows correctly, and that can cause damage to software on your pc, plus its just plain not good for it. so the battery backup basically allows me to log out and shutdown the computer correctly. I've powered back up before when the electric was out to check email real fast. But after 20 minutes or so it will lose power so I use it conservatively.

11gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have one of those, mine has about 45 min. of back up time, only used it once but it is nice to have just in case.

12gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i dont think mine will last that long, but not sure, the tech told me not so spend alot, for what i need one for, i know its not strong enoughto run the tv fan for enough time, , the tv is suspose to be on one that will run the fan till the bulb cools down, this one my son in law said is not enough, i think he has the same one,

13gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:33 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have a converter I use in my truck for the laptop, but like tonight with tornados everywhere , I can at least back down the other computers .

14gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
SSC wrote:I have one of those, mine has about 45 min. of back up time, only used it once but it is nice to have just in case.
45 min beats my 20 minutes backup, wanna trade? lol

This one I have is about 4 years old and it weighs a ton, and its never failed yet. I don't know how many years I should expect it to continue working, before it can't hold a charge anymore, but I'll never go without a battery backup for a pc ever again. I've booted the PC up when nothing else in the house would work, and I found it useful that I could still use the computer to contact the outside world via email after or during a hurricane when the power was out, but of course the cable company or telephone lines must be working to get online. I also have my cable modem on the battery backup as well, and my monitor. I have 2 desktop computers, one on dialup and the other on cable modem.

I don't have a laptop but would like one someday.

15gypsys ice storm,, Empty Re: gypsys ice storm,, Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:55 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Mine weighs a ton also, we have 3 laptops and a desk top in the house. The desk top is an antique but still functions. We look like a family of obsessed cumputer users in the evening. G-baby has hours of homework on line every night, I my games and my daughter is just learning to navigate the net, when she learns patience it will be easier for her...lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum