1just a good story, Empty just a good story, Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
MY WORDS, u get such email and most, or half really is not true, i could have checked this but i did not, it does have several facts that email check sights would know its truth easy, but i hope it is,and i have got it years earlier,,for me i remember my mom, would come to my bedroom door when i was like 8 . me knowing it was time for Sunday school and i would act like i was so hard asleep, lol, sometimes she would close the door, and in about 15 minute when it was to late to get ready i would get up, but some Sundays she would just say get up its time for church, i remember in our first older church dodging wasp on a warm day with windows open till they finally built a new and air cond one, next to it ..by the way the older church was the one my grandparents had raised my mom and aunt and uncles in since there were 8, it was nice to have had all my moms family all raise in the same community, we had cousins on every block, we even could walk home from school for lunch, , just some thoughts of a child,
_______________________________________________________________________________________Near the turn of the century

A little girl stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it was 'too crowded.'
>

> 'I can't go to Sunday School,' she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by.
>

> Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday school class. The child was so happy that they found room for her, and she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship in sunday school.
>

> Some two years later, this child lay dead in one of the poor tenement buildings. Her parents called for the kindhearted pastor who had befriended their daughter to handle the final arrangements.
>

> As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled red purse was found which seemed to have been rummaged from some trash dump.
>
>

Inside was found 57 cents and a note, scribbled in childish handwriting, which read: 'This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday School.'
>

For two years she had saved for this offering of love.
>
>
When the pastor tearfully read that note, he knew instantly what he would do. Carrying this note and the cracked, red pocketbook to the pulpit, he told the story of her unselfish love and devotion.
>

>
>He challenged his deacons to get busy and raise enough money for the larger building.
>
>
> But the story does not end there...
>
>
> A newspaper learned of the story and published It. It was read by a wealthy realtor who offered them a parcel of land worth many thousands.
>
When told that the church could not pay so much, he offered to sell it to the little church for 57 cents.
>
> Church members made large donations. Checks came from far and wide.
>
Within five years the little girl's gift had increased to $250,000.00--a huge sum for that time (near the turn of the century). Her unselfish love had paid large dividends.
>
>

When you are in the city of Philadelphia , look up Temple Baptist Church, with a seating capacity of 3,300. And be sure to visit Temple University, where thousands of students are educated.
>
Have a look, too, at the Good Samaritan Hospital and at a Sunday School building which houses hundreds of beautiful children, built so that no child in the area will ever need to be left outside during Sunday school time.
>

> In one of the rooms of this building may be seen the picture of the sweet face of the little girl whose 57 cents, so sacrificially saved, made such remarkable history. Alongside of it is a portrait of her kind pastor, Dr. Russell H. Conwell, author of the book, 'Acres of Diamonds'.

2just a good story, Empty Re: just a good story, Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:24 pm

gypsy

gypsy
That is a lovely story, I had read it years ago, but is good to read it again.

I remember those days with no air conditioning in church in the summer we always had those fans on a stick and I still have a few of them.
one wednesday night during prayer meeting, five of us girls sing, and it was funny to see all those older women fanning themselves.. A sea of fans lol

thanks for sharing that Rosco

3just a good story, Empty Re: just a good story, Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Nice story rosco it must be great living in a small town like that, I think its great having your family all raised in the same community.

Here's a song with some pretty powerful words that somehow seem relevant:

Artist: Paycheck Johnny
Song: The Outlaw's Prayer

You know, I worked the Big Packet show in Fort Worth, Saturday night,
We had all day Sunday to rest and relax, before I caught another flight.
So I decided to walk down town an' get myself a little fresh air.
Before long, I found myself in front of a big church on the corner of the square.

Boy, I could hear that singin' way out in the street, sure was a beautiful sound.
So I just walked up the steps an' opened the door an' started to go inside an' sit down.
But before I could, a young man walked over to me an said: "Excuse me, Sir,
"But I can't let you in with that big black hat, those jeans, that beard an' long hair.

So I just left, went back outside, sat down on that kerbing, an I thought to myself:
That's the house of the Lord. That guy's got the hell of a nerve.
Tellin' me I can't worship anywhere I please.
So right there, in front of that Church, I just knelt down on my knees.

I said: "Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind.
"I just wanted to be with your people, Lord: it's been a long time.
"A while ago, a saw a wino over there in the alley, all bent over in tears,
"An' I thought how one stained glass window, from this Church, would feed his family for years."

"Then there's those fine cars parked outside: too many for me to count.
"Made me think how people walked for days to hear your sermon on the mount.
"Then there's those fine ladies in the choir, Lord, singin' like they really love it.
"Hell, last night, they were dancin' on the front row of my show: drinkin' beer, screamin: 'Sing Shove It.'

"You know, even John the Baptist wouldn't be welcome in this place,
"With his coat made of Camel hair an' sandals on his feet an' a long beard on his face.
"You know, Lord, when you come back to get your children, an' take 'em beyond the clouds,
"To live forever in Heaven with you: well, I'd sure hate to be in this crowd.

"You know, Lord, I'm not perfect; some even call me no count.
"But I'll tell you: I believe a man is judged by what's in his heart, not what's in his bank account.
"So if this is what religion is: a big car, a suit an' a tie,
"Then I might as well forget it Lord, 'cause I can't qualify.

"Oh, by the way, Lord, right before they kicked me out, didn't I see a picture of you?
"With sandals an' a beard. Believe you had long hair too."
"Well, this is Paycheck, signing off.
"I'll be seein' you Lord, I hope."

4just a good story, Empty Re: just a good story, Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:39 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Tyler I love that song,what truth, it speak volumes.