You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gypsy

gypsy
STRASBOURG, France - Welcomed with thunderous cheers, President Barack Obama pledged on Friday to repair damaged relations with Europe, saying the world came together following the 2001 terrorist attacks but then "we got sidetracked by Iraq."

"We must be honest with ourselves," Obama said. "In recent years, we've allowed our alliance to drift."

The new U.S. president said that despite the bitter feelings that were generated by Iraq, the United States and its allies must stand together because "al-Qaida is still a threat."

Speaking before a French and German audience at a town-hall style gathering, Obama also encouraged a skeptical Europe to support his revamped strategy for rooting out terrorism suspects in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and said Europe should not expect America to should the burden of sending in combat troops by itself.

"This is a joint problem," Obama said on the cusp of the NATO summit. "And it requires a joint effort."

He opened his appearance with a 25-minute prepared speech in which he set a dramatic, long-term goal of "a world without nuclear weapons." He said he would outline details of his nonproliferation proposal in a speech in Prague on Sunday, near the end of a European trip that is spanning five countries in eight days.

"Even with the Cold War now over, the spread of nuclear weapons or the theft of nuclear material could lead to the extermination of any city on the planet," Obama said.

Reaching out to young foreigners
He held the campaign-like event in the midst of his first European trip as president as he sought to strengthen the United States' standing in the world while working with foreign counterparts to right the troubled global economy.

Obama said the United States shares blame for the crisis, but that "every nation bears responsibility for what lies ahead — especially now."

Back home, his administration was trying to weather the fallout of another dismal monthly jobs report that was announced as Obama spoke in France. The jobless rate jumped to 8.5 percent, the highest since late 1983, as a wide range of employers eliminated a net total of 663,000 jobs in March.

Obama in Europe
President Obama heads to continental Europe after attending the G-20 summit in London.

Overseas, Obama invited questions from his French and German audience heavily made up of students in a sports arena. Even though Obama talked about the event as a way to interact with young foreigners, he did most of the talking and took only a handful of questions.

He acknowledged "my French and German are terrible" but noted that translators were on hand. Much like during his presidential campaign, Obama paced the stage with a microphone, like a talk show host.

'America's shown arrogance'
In his opening remarks, he underscored European and American ties and appeared intent on improving the U.S. image abroad, which suffered under George W. Bush. "I've come to Europe this week to renew our partnership," Obama said, bluntly claiming that the relationship between the United States and Europe had gone adrift, with blame on both sides.

"In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world," Obama said.

Allies talk
April 3: President Obama and France's Sarkozy hold a joint news conference in Strasbourg.

NBC News
Instead of celebrating Europe's dynamic union and seeking to work with you, Obama said, "there have been times where America's shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive."

"But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual, but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans chose to blame America for much of what's bad," Obama said.

He added: "On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common. They are not wise. They do not represent the truth.

click on link to read rest of news

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30025192

I repeat: The euros are a bunch of ass-kissing cowards who will get their due when their muslim inhabitants start murdering them in the streets. The muslims don't DARE do that here because the American people would rise up and obliterate them in the millions. They know that because that was Bush's message, well delivered. Obama can sink to his knees in euro-land all he wants to, but the American people (other than hopeless cry-baby liberals) could care less if the euros "like" us. Screw them.

gypsy

gypsy
I thought since your trip to Europe,/England you couldn't sing their praises enough, how smart,generous and all they were..
I have to say my English/European friends are very smart, and I respect them very much

gypsy wrote:I thought since your trip to Europe,/England you couldn't sing their praises enough, how smart,generous and all they were..
I have to say my English/European friends are very smart, and I respect them very much
You're a goddamn liar.

gypsy

gypsy
My mistake>> I thought sure you told you visited a friend in England? and what gracious/smart people they were` maybe i misunderstood~ sorry

gypsy wrote:My mistake>> I thought sure you told you visited a friend in England? and what gracious/smart people they were` maybe i misunderstood~ sorry
No you're not sorry. You are now implying I didn't go see Cheryl and her family in Blackpool 2 years ago. There was no "couldn't say enough good things" about the Brits after I got back either,and you know it. I had good things to say about the BRITS,not the euros,and you know THAT. My post yesterday was about the euros,not about you. Your quick,personal attack on me was typical. You can lie all you want to;everyone knows who and what you are. But when you start making shit up,leave me out of it.

gypsy

gypsy
I said my mistake, yes i know you visited cheryl, I thought euros/brits were all the same~

gypsy

gypsy
gypsy wrote:I said my mistake, yes i know you visited cheryl, I thought euros/brits were all the same~
I meant to include ,this also..I never intended it to be an attack on you, but your attack on me are vicious and uncalled for.if I wanted to attack you you would know it~ all this viciousness is uncalled for i apologized long ago for any misunderstandings we had, you have never apologized for your meanness`.so instead of making this forum a fighting arena surely we can be adults and control ourselves?
I sure don't know what your talking about everyone knows what i am` but you belive what you want~ i am not going to fight with you here or anywhere, your a very childish man~

What? Here we go again! I didn;t say a damn thing about YOU in my post, did I? I attacked and ridiculed the euros,did I not? And YOU brought me into it personally with your comments about my previous statements concerning the Brits, did you not? And once again, you drag me personally into a discussion and then claim to be the "aggrieved" party. It's all there for anyone to read. I am "childish"??? Sure. I get that way when my honesty is questioned. I'm not used to it.

gypsy

gypsy
whatever meemoon, again i did not attack u, I am commenting on everything i post u have a negative response,I am not questioning your honesty, don't knowwhere you got that, I did think Europeans and Brits were all considered the same group, I know it is france,germany britian combined.. the brits also praised OBama~as i said any misunderstanding on my part I apologize for

SSC

SSC
Admin
What country wouldn't have been side tracked but the events of 911, if that is he opening to a meeting of the world leaders then it is a sad showing. Iraq is very real , and to pursue the terrorists who violated our home land was 100% correct, and to continue hunting them down is the only possible way to make believers of the rag heads.
Is fashion the basis of their appearances ? It seems the press is more worried what Mrs. O is wearing than what the out come of the trip is about. The Euros are not jumping up and down to commit to anything. Nor are other countries. Obama may not be able to sell his high dollar plans .Time will tell , but his outrageous spending and much wasted monies already are not a good beginning.

gypsy wrote:whatever meemoon, again i did not attack u, I am commenting on everything i post u have a negative response,I am not questioning your honesty, don't knowwhere you got that, I did think Europeans and Brits were all considered the same group, I know it is france,germany britian combined.. the brits also praised OBama~as i said any misunderstanding on my part I apologize for
No, not "whatever". You damn right I attacked the information offered in your post and will do so again and again if it contains material I disagree with. That is not attacking YOU. I did not mention your name or hold you accountable for it's content. YOU addressed your response to me PERSONALLY when you started yer crap about my visit to England. You don't want anyone to attack your posts? DON'T POST! You don't wanna be called names? Don't address personal comments my way! I can't and won't speak for Tyler, but I'm sure that policy is within the rules.

SSC wrote:What country wouldn't have been side tracked but the events of 911, if that is he opening to a meeting of the world leaders then it is a sad showing. Iraq is very real , and to pursue the terrorists who violated our home land was 100% correct, and to continue hunting them down is the only possible way to make believers of the rag heads.
Is fashion the basis of their appearances ? It seems the press is more worried what Mrs. O is wearing than what the out come of the trip is about. The Euros are not jumping up and down to commit to anything. Nor are other countries. Obama may not be able to sell his high dollar plans .Time will tell , but his outrageous spending and much wasted monies already are not a good beginning.
Even the liberal press recognize that this euro-passion for Obama is based on a hatred of all things Bush. They called for unending and fruitless negotiations with Saddam, and were OUTRAGED when Bush didn't buy Saddam's or their bullshit. And just as silly as that hatred is,so is their love affair with all things Obama. A silly and disgraceful people who live in a dream world of bunnies and kittens.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum