You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

SSC

SSC
Admin
U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration
Soybeans, wheat and medical supplies -- all considered humanitarian items exempt from U.S. trade sanctions -- are among the top exports this year.
www.foxnews.com
AP
Sunday, June 21, 2009
WASHINGTON -- Iran spent nearly twice as much on U.S. imports during President Barack Obama's first months in office as it did during the same period in 2008, showing that despite trade penalties and tense relations, the two countries are still doing business.

The U.S. exported $96 million in goods to Iran from January through April, according to an Associated Press analysis of U.S. government trade data compiled by the World Institute for Strategic Economic Research in Holyoke, Mass. U.S. exports to Iran totaled $51 million during the same period in 2008 and $27 million over those months in 2007.

Soybeans, wheat and medical supplies -- all considered humanitarian items exempt from U.S. trade sanctions -- are among the top exports this year.

The latest trade figures reflect an increase in Iran's agricultural imports over the past year due to poor harvests there, said Bill Reinsch, president of the National Foreign Trade Council, a business group in Washington.

"I wouldn't read too much into it as far as trends are concerned," Reinsch said.

Reinsch said he is hearing from more businesses interested in Iran. But beyond an effort by the Obama administration to encourage talks with Iran, he hasn't seen any policy changes that would lead to more opportunities for U.S. businesses.

Humanitarian shipments are an example of the tricky line the United States has walked in dealing with Iran -- even more so during Iran's election protests.

Obama has proceeded carefully when commenting on uprisings in Iran over President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed re-election, saying he shared the world's "deep concerns" but that it wouldn't be productive "to be seen as meddling."

In allowing exports of necessities such as grain and medical supplies, the U.S. has tried to send a message to the Iranian people that it is a friend to them and has no interest in punishing them for their government's policies. At the same time, by helping Iran feed and provide medical care to its population, Washington can't help but provide an unintentional benefit to the Tehran government.

U.S. penalties seek to undermine that government far more than aid it, by withholding technology, equipment and money that would allow it to build its military and industrial base, particularly the oil industry.

There is a long-running debate in Congress and among trade experts over the degree to which sanctions work. The U.S. has tried both the carrot and the stick approaches over the years.

Last year, pleased when North Korea finally produced an accounting of its plutonium production for nuclear weapons, President George W. Bush lifted trade penalties. That gesture didn't stop North Korea from pursuing its nuclear ambitions. Last month it conducted its second nuclear test.

On the other hand, penalties against South Africa are credited with helping to lead it to eliminate apartheid, a policy of racial segregation.

Several countries have been more than willing to do business with Iran. Those exporting more than $1 billion in goods to Iran last year included China, $8 billion; Germany, $5.7 billion; Italy, $3.2 billion; France, $2.6 billion; and Japan, $1.9 billion.

That compares with about $747 million in exports to Iran by Britain, $689 million by Belgium, about $685 million by Spain and $683 million by the U.S.

It can be difficult to stop even sensitive goods and technology from making their way to another country. It is common for Iran and other sanctioned countries to use transshipment points such as the United Arab Emirates to try to obtain U.S. goods undetected.

The value of U.S. exports to Iran rose exponentially under Bush, even as he called the country part of an "axis of evil." In 2001, Bush's first year in office, they totaled just $8.3 million, a tiny fraction of last year's number.

Exports during the Bush years included a range of agricultural products and medical supplies, but some more surprising items also made it to Iran: brassieres, fur clothing, sculptures, perfume, musical instruments and military apparel.

This year, besides medical and dental supplies and agricultural products such as grain and bull semen, U.S. exports to Iran included about $154,000 worth of dead horses, pigs and related products, possibly for bone meal; $87,000 worth of household and toilet articles; about $25,000 in instant print film; $8,790 in newspapers; and about $2,800 in books. The sanctions exempt certain cultural items.

The publicly available government trade data doesn't identify exporters or say exactly what they shipped. The AP requested that information under the Freedom of Information Act in 2005 and still is waiting for the Treasury Department to provide it.

gypsy

gypsy
Yes Obama, very smart, no meddling is good,as i have stated many times he(Obama) is methodical,he is not quick on the trigger.but if he has to be i think he will be ready to do what is right..

SSC

SSC
Admin
Lets just hope he doesn't portray the US as weak as other major countries are responding much more forceful in statements.

gypsy

gypsy
I don't think he is portraying America as weak. Good let the other countries take the lead for a change, that is what Obama asked of Britian and others to do~ i like that approach.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Time will tell, we are a dominating force in the world, a position held for many many years, lets just hope Obama doesn't have us protrayed any different.

gypsy

gypsy
we have been portrayed in past, as not so good, he is Obama) already changing that~for the better.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Gyp we are a super power country..do you know what that means > If not google it and learn.

gypsy

gypsy
,I know we are a super power, but the last few years our super powers slipped, we are again gaining them back` thanks for your concern on my learning~ I would not worry if i were you, or concern yourself~~ lol!

SSC

SSC
Admin
It makes debating so much easier when you know what you are talking about, only drawing that conclusion from your admiting only lately you listened or read the news.

gypsy

gypsy
yes but i do debate my point~ and sometime it is accurate just as yours or anyones here~ not looking for a fight~it might me easier also if you would not constantly remark on my learning, or abilities about politics~or my difference of opinion being wrong.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Just trying to make the debates a little more comprehensible, it helps when the opponent understands the subject and can post credible rebuttal..

gypsy

gypsy
I don't have trouble,comprehending// maybe you do. my/rebuttal is very adequate

SSC

SSC
Admin
Glad you understand what you post, confirming my position you don't have a clue on most things so you are posting replys that go in circles .

gypsy

gypsy
Really? well you seem to respond..only your so negative on everything~ many times I have been right and my posts are just as good as yours or anyone's .if you have trouble comprehending,or I bother you so, put me on ignore~ simple? right? weren't you commenting joyously about what a good feature it is? I suggest you put me on ignore, if I disturb you so~

SSC

SSC
Admin
Always keep an ace in the hole, but thanks for reminding me about the feature, for now I will continue to get my daily laugh.
Sorry you are getting testy but you'll have a better day.....chow

gypsy

gypsy
not getting testy at all ,that is your department..if i entertain you, then quit complaining~ :laughf:ace in the hole,, i am an ace for sure, I like that> thanks for the compliment~

SSC

SSC
Admin
The ace in the whole is the ignore button...........please don't flatter yourself

gypsy

gypsy
as I said i am an ace, I am not the one jumping onto someones case, you are~and again as I said if you can't stand my posts ignore them/me ~ what was it you said, was put here in the nick of time?

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
MY Word, lol,, actually us being what is called the last super power has more to do with russia military rusting away, than our building up, but we do out tech countrys big time and i think we still are, i do fear one day china will get close, , but still think that down the road a good ways, take care

SSC

SSC
Admin
My you do hang on to my words...they must impact you...lol
Yes the time in question was one of you less than lucid moments, that is the plus here when you get to confused and really only need to talk to yourself...pooffffffffffff you're gone in my world...

gypsy

gypsy
rosco 357 wrote:MY Word, lol,, actually us being what is called the last super power has more to do with russia military rusting away, than our building up, but we do out tech countrys big time and i think we still are, i do fear one day china will get close, , but still think that down the road a good ways, take care

yes we have to rebuild, but the structure of Super power is still there, we all need to work together, and it should be that way in washington, maye it will be someday~ only way to accomplish that is>> UNITED!

gypsy

gypsy
SSC wrote:My you do hang on to my words...they must impact you...lol
Yes the time in question was one of you less than lucid moments, that is the plus here when you get to confused and really only need to talk to yourself...pooffffffffffff you're gone in my world...
: /// .. cheers U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration 729264 U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration 592180 U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration 393252

SSC

SSC
Admin
hitting the bottle again I see.....

gypsy

gypsy
Roses are red violets
are blue SSC has lost a screw~ U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration 440643

SSC

SSC
Admin
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
A special fuck off
Just for you U.S. Exports to Iran on the Rise Under Obama Administration 729264

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum