You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Obama drops iffy line on health plan Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
FACT CHECK: Obama drops iffy line on health plan

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20090909/articles/909099845
CALVIN WOODWARD and ERICA WERNER
Associated Press Writers

Published: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 7:58 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 7:58 p.m.
WASHINGTON — The change was subtle, but significant.

In his speech to Congress on Wednesday night, President Barack Obama gave a more accurate — and less reassuring — account of the impact of his proposed health care overall than he has done in the past.

It went by in a blink.

He told Americans that nothing he is proposing will force businesses or consumers to change their existing insurance coverage. That much is true.

It's also true that nothing in his plan guarantees that policies people have now will continue to be available in the same form. In earlier accounts, he spoke with unmerited certainty in saying people who are happy with their current insurance can simply keep it.

Other parts of his speech repeated some of the oversimplified claims that have marked his salesmanship. A look at some of his assertions Wednesday night:

OBAMA: "Nothing in this plan will require you or your employer to change the coverage or the doctor you have. Let me repeat this: Nothing in our plan requires you to change what you have."

THE FACTS: That's correct, as far as it goes. But neither can the plan guarantee that people can keep their current coverage. Employers sponsor coverage for most families, and they'd be free to change their health plans in ways that workers may not like, or drop insurance altogether. The Congressional Budget Office analyzed the health care bill written by House Democrats and said that by 2016 some 3 million people who now have employer-based care would lose it because their employers would decide to stop offering it.

In the past Obama repeatedly said, "If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period." Now he's stopping short of that unconditional guarantee by saying nothing in the plan "requires" any change.

He's dropped the "period."

___

OBAMA: Requiring insurance companies to cover preventive care like mammograms and colonoscopies "makes sense, it saves money, and it saves lives."

The facts: Studies have shown that much preventive care — particularly tests like the ones Obama mentions — actually costs money instead of saving it. That's because detecting acute diseases like breast cancer in their early stages involves testing many people who would never end up developing the disease. The costs of a large number of tests, even if they're relatively cheap, will outweigh the costs of caring for the minority of people who would have ended up getting sick without the testing.

The Congressional Budget Office wrote in August: "The evidence suggests that for most preventive services, expanded utilization leads to higher, not lower, medical spending overall."

That doesn't mean preventive care doesn't make sense or save lives. It just doesn't save money.

___

OBAMA: "If you lose your job or change your job, you will be able to get coverage. If you strike out on your own and start a small business, you will be able to get coverage."

THE FACTS: It's not just a matter of being able to get coverage. Most people would have to get coverage under the law, if his plan is adopted.

In his speech, Obama endorsed mandatory coverage for individuals, an approach he did not embrace as a candidate.

He proposed during the campaign — as he does now — that larger businesses be required to offer insurance to workers or else pay into a fund. But he rejected the idea of requiring individuals to obtain insurance. He said people would get insurance without being forced to do so by the law, if coverage were made affordable. And he repeatedly criticized his Democratic primary rival, Hillary Rodham Clinton, for proposing to mandate coverage.

"To force people to get health insurance, you've got to have a very harsh penalty," he said in a February 2008 debate.

Now, he says, "individuals will be required to carry basic health insurance — just as most states require you to carry auto insurance."

He proposes a hardship waiver, exempting from the requirement those who cannot afford coverage despite increased federal aid.

2Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:43 am

If the American people were saying "We know this is gonna cost a lot but we want it", that's fine with me. But the American people are saying "we cannot afford this NOW". The notion that the Fed Gov, now wasting an estimated $80-$120 billion in SSA expenditures alone, is somehow,magically, gonna end THAT wastage and SAVE the additional billions needed for his "new vision", is absurd. It cannot happen. It will not happen. And the people know that. If we can be hustled into this travesty,we will deserve the results. If the Demos force it using chicanery, they will pay the price.

3Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:35 am

gypsy

gypsy
meemoon wrote:If the American people were saying "We know this is gonna cost a lot but we want it", that's fine with me. But the American people are saying "we cannot afford this NOW". The notion that the Fed Gov, now wasting an estimated $80-$120 billion in SSA expenditures alone, is somehow,magically, gonna end THAT wastage and SAVE the additional billions needed for his "new vision", is absurd. It cannot happen. It will not happen. And the people know that. If we can be hustled into this travesty,we will deserve the results. If the Demos force it using chicanery, they will pay the price.
where are the American people saying this? where is this evidence ,that it won't end that wastage? do you have figures, or just opinions? chicanery//trickery,u mm another opinion?

4Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:29 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
oh he is just playing car salesman, he starts with a high price but knows he will have to deal, a tad at a time, he just puts it all in knowing he may wind up just getting the invoice price as a bill. its the games they play,, but its fun to watch,

Last edited by rosco 357 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total

5Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:32 am

gypsy

gypsy
ahh yes! like the song.

Games people play

6Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 am

rosco 357 wrote:oh he is just playing car salesman, he starts with a high price but knows he will have to deal, a tad at a time, he just puts it all in knowing he may wind up just getting the invoice price as a bill. its the games they play,, but its fun to watch,
Concise and accurate.

7Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:48 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
meemoon wrote:If the American people were saying "We know this is gonna cost a lot but we want it", that's fine with me. But the American people are saying "we cannot afford this NOW". The notion that the Fed Gov, now wasting an estimated $80-$120 billion in SSA expenditures alone, is somehow,magically, gonna end THAT wastage and SAVE the additional billions needed for his "new vision", is absurd. It cannot happen. It will not happen. And the people know that. If we can be hustled into this travesty,we will deserve the results. If the Demos force it using chicanery, they will pay the price.

its was said on some sight, rahm is telling the dems they paid a steep price when clinton did not pass a bill, so something needs to pass,or he will see they pay a price, plus even the repubs, are saying the status quo cant remain, but if u want to mail ur gov. check back to help out the social security fund, i will send u a stamp, all i have are the forever stamps,, lol take care, ,

8Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:04 am

gypsy

gypsy
***Control*** a GOOD >>word//think about it Obama drops iffy line on health plan 592180

9Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:30 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Gypsy since you are so much in favor of this so called health care reform, just what do you anticipate it doing for you ?

10Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Roscoe wrote: "its was said on some sight, rahm is telling the dems they paid a steep price when clinton did not pass a bill, so something needs to pass,or he will see they pay a price, plus even the repubs, are saying the status quo cant remain, but if u want to mail ur gov. check back to help out the social security fund, i will send u a stamp, all i have are the forever stamps,, lol take care" // What price will Demos pay? R.E. may withdraw political support in members' re-election efforts but so what? If they use the reconcilliation procedure to ram this through, they will lose massively in 2010 regardless. I disagree that the staus quo cannot remain. We are witnessing the gradual insolvency of SS and every Congress has FAILED to address that. If they can't even be counted on to provide healthcare security for the elderly/disabled, why should we expect them to effect real healthcare reform for 307,000,000 people? The Dems wrote off SS reform and supported universal healthcare instead. Something,in my opinion,the people don't want to buy. BTW,my gov is a disgraced fool and gov's don't have a say in this. I have written (e-mailed) my Congressmen,but send me $100 in stamps anyway.

11Obama drops iffy line on health plan Empty Re: Obama drops iffy line on health plan Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:11 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
gypsy wrote:***Control*** a GOOD >>word//think about it Obama drops iffy line on health plan 592180

Control is a scary word when it comes to invasion of privacy, the rate the Gov. is going now we will all have chips and be herded like cattle . They need to practice control on banks, insurance companies and and the oil industry first before they tackle health care. So far they are batting 0..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum