You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
TAMPA -- President Barack Obama is slated to host a town hall meeting here Thursday, one day after he put jobs at the top of his 2010 agenda in his State of the Union speech.

Obama, along with Vice President Joe Biden, aren't coming empty-handed to the job-hungry state. They are expected to announce $1.25 billion to help build a high-speed rail system from Orlando to Tampa and, eventually, to Miami. The project is heavily supported by both Democratic and Republican elected officials.

Gov. Charlie Crist is planning to meet Obama on the airport tarmac but will not stand by him at the town hall meeting, as he did one year ago when Obama campaigned in Fort Myers for his $787 billion spending plan. Crist's support for the plan sullied his image with conservative Republicans, who condemn the administration's economic policies.

So this time, with his U.S. Senate campaign flagging, Crist is casting his face time with Obama as an opportunity to set him straight. He said in a written statement on Wednesday: ``I look forward to seeing the president tomorrow to tell him myself the direction I believe our country should move toward, not just in talk but in action: a commitment to lower taxes for families and small businesses; to pay down the deficit and stop out-of-control federal spending; to provide a real solution to the growing unemployment rate; and to, once and for all, put an end to a government-run healthcare plan.''

Appearing on NBC's Today Show, former Gov. Jeb Bush was asked if he would have joined the president as Crist did one year ago.

``I would go when the president comes to the state,'' Bush said. ``I think it's more than appropriate. It's not a sign of support. I wouldn't have necessarily embraced the stimulus plan that did not have support in the state and campaign for it and put Republicans in a vulnerable position.''

Bush also echoed Obama's call for bipartisanship but suggested that the president wasn't practicing what he preached.

``I think that leaders on both sides of the aisle need to figure out where there is common ground and at least focus on that,'' Bush said. ``It's one thing to give a good speech. The other thing is to invite people that don't agree exactly with your point of view to build consensus.''

It's no accident that Obama picked Hillsborough County to reinforce the message from his State of the Union Speech. The political battleground has reflected the must-win state's vote in every presidential election since 1964.

But since Obama carried Florida in 2008, his popularity subsided as the recession lingers. Florida's unemployment rate climbed to 11.8 percent in December.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1450689.html

gypsy

gypsy
Do you think Jeb may run for president? I read somewhere that his son (Jeb) well George jr lol nephew is into politics or is thinking about it

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
No I don't think so, but Jeb did a good job here in FL.

I think Obama will get things done that needs to get done the best he can. If he can't get it done, we're in bad shape. I mean, Obama is logical and practical, he makes sense, if it doesn't work out and he doesn't get a second term, God help us as a nation. Yes I believe strongly Obama is really trying to help this country without any hidden agenda.

Anyone that disagrees I can't help that, thats how I feel. Obama will go down as one of the greatest Presidents of all times. Mark my words.....

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i agree i dont see Jeb running, and i really never have, things will get very interesting, i was at work and missed the state of the union speech it probably will be replayed on one of the news networks, of cspan,

gypsy

gypsy
I agree Tyler that Obama will be recorded as being one of the greatest president.

Rosco the State of the union was a good speech, and the Republicans sit on their hands through the complete speech never once standing or applauding even made rude mutters as did Alito
but Obama was as cool as an early spring day.and made his points with high approval from his party, and the independents..especially also from the public.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:I agree Tyler that Obama will be recorded as being one of the greatest president.

Rosco the State of the union was a good speech, and the Republicans sit on their hands through the complete speech never once standing or applauding even made rude mutters as did Alito
but Obama was as cool as an early spring day.and made his points with high approval from his party, and the independents..especially also from the public.

well that sittin on the hands always goes on, with both sides, months ago our bosses talked about rail in florida, in the stimulus, but said something about the state, i imagine the conservatives in the state were not embracing, the money for rail, as did several conservative states turned down money from the stimulus, i think Mississippi was one . but i hope this goes through, it would be work for me, maybe if we bidded and got some of the work. i hope the state governement in florida, does take the money and get this underway, but u know the games they all play , lots of states,

gypsy

gypsy
yes I hope it goes through, and other avenues open up also`

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum