You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:29 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice

6/23/2010 11:19 PM ET By Greg Couch
http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/06/23/wimbledon-does-serena-royal-disservice/?icid=main

Greg Couch
National Columnist
WIMBLEDON, England -- This is an insult. Serena Williams was even practicing her curtsy in preparation for playing tennis in front of the Queen, who will attend Wimbledon Thursday for the first time in 33 years.

It's a special moment for a special tournament, but the most special women's player going Thursday, Williams, was pushed out to Court 2. The Queen will be watching at Centre Court.

This is just wrong. And I can't stand it when players grumble about the indignity of being put out on far away courts, as if they deserve more. But this time, with the Queen coming in, court placement matters. And Serena Williams deserves the honor.

To move the best player in the world and defending champion who, with her sister Venus, has dominated Wimbledon for a decade, is not an accident. It is a message, but I don't know, and am even a little afraid of, what that message is.

"I'm definitely going to work on it a little more," Williams said about her curtsy after her first-round match. "I'm trying to tone down my wrist action.

"But my curtsy is really fun. It's something that she'll definitely never forget, if I ever even get a chance to meet her. We really don't do that so much in the United States, so I'm really working hard on it.''

Share How embarrassing for Williams that she would show such giddiness for the Queen, only to be sent away where she can't be seen.

Instead, Andy Murray, the only player left in the draw from Great Britain, will be first on Centre Court. He should be. In the third match there, Rafael Nadal, the No. 1 men's player will be there. Fine again. And in the middle match? Caroline Wozniacki.

What?

Now, I know how this is going to look to many Williams fans, so I'm just going to say it bluntly: A black woman on an outer court while a pretty, white blonde woman who has never won anything major, plays for the Queen.

That is the last kind of thought tennis needs. And I even doubt that that's what this is about.

I would guess the biggest factor is the image of Williams at the U.S. Open last year, threatening and bullying a line judge, with f-bombs on worldwide TV, to shove a ball down her throat.

Not a scene to place in front of the Queen. It was a one-time thing for Williams, but it's also stuck in a lot of minds.

Understand that there is still plenty of snootiness here. And while the club wouldn't care for that word, it would probably freely acknowledge to believing in everything Americans would consider the definition of it.

People don't like to hear the truth about this, but the problem is that feelings about race and the Williams sisters and tennis are touchy. They will never be resolved. A snooty, old-fashioned club starts with one foot in the middle of a stereotype.

That's not to say that Williams should play on Centre Court to keep away calls of racism. She should be there because she has earned it.

The other stuff becomes a side issue, an anger and a suspicion that will grow, whether justified.

The All England Club decides who plays where, and last year it became clear that rights-paying TV network BBC has a huge hand in it. That's when Gisela Dulko and Maria Kirilenko were placed on Centre Court without any credentials beyond their looks. A BBC official admitted that yes, looks do factor into it.

If they were after looks and TV ratings, though, then they would have put Maria Sharapova, another former Wimbledon champ, on Centre Court.

Venus and Roger Federer, who have won far more Wimbledon titles than anyone else here, are off Thursday.

Meanwhile, Serena, who has not grumbled about her court placement, eats the words she said the other day, promising to dress conservatively for the Queen, and to make sure she curtsies nicely.

"I want it to be more natural," she said. "Right now, it feels really forced. Seems like I've never done a curtsy before, which may be true. But I'm looking forward to nailing it.''

Don't bother.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I think they wanted white people on the court for the Queen. She may be racist and they knew it.

I agree with this part "The All England Club decides who plays where, and last year it became clear that rights-paying TV network BBC has a huge hand in it. That's when Gisela Dulko and Maria Kirilenko were placed on Centre Court without any credentials beyond their looks. A BBC official admitted that yes, looks do factor into it."
----

Obviously looks do play a factor, and white girls are prettier than black girls (in my opinion) and obviously in many other peoples eyes too. Ratings is the name of the game for TV.

3Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Re: Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:54 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i dont watch or follow tennis, i think this was on aol welcome screen or charter cables, i forget, i thought it was interesting, but actually i could care less, as they say there is no bad publicity,, so Serena got some publicity out of it. that queen cant live much longer, lol,,

4Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Re: Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
rosco 357 wrote:that queen cant live much longer, lol,,
LMAO, I agree.

But lets face it and be honest about this in an open fashion, with no discrepancy or racial issues intended, plan and simple and to the point facts; White girls are prettier than black girls, you know it I know it. Everybody knows it. The staff at Wimbledon "All England Club" knows it too, and they wanted white players for the ratings. Its so clear. I don't personally care the reasons really, but it seems so obvious that played a part in the decision to remove the negro. Also and more to the subject at hand, they removed the Negro Serena Williams to another court so the Queen wouldn't see it. lmao

OK, I know I'm being silly, just having fun. Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice 503179

5Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Re: Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
hey have fun its why we are here, thats why i teased about the queens age, ,lol

6Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Re: Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:33 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I think it is a shame, that racism is still happening, and I mean that from all sides,or angles Just my thought on it!I also have seen many Beautiful Black women/and very Handsome black men.

7Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Empty Re: Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 pm

gypsy

gypsy
It is amazing, how many Presidents the Queen has met, i think it goes back to FDR~

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:It is amazing, how many Presidents the Queen has met, i think it goes back to FDR~
I think it goes back to George Washington Wimbledon Does Serena Royal Disservice 503179

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum