You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1out of action Empty out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
My hard Drive has packed up after 6 years...no idea why
There was plently of room on it..still had 40gigs
I bought expansion drive recently..but had not backed everything up.

Have to access mail through my Virgin home page mail box.
Using a small spare 20 Gig hard drive at the moment.
so might not be on so much
not thought of my next move yet.
I had XP professional....might buy windows 7
or do some other alternative.
(definately not a lap top)

Sir Knight has been in hospital with Flue.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

2out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:56 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Hmmm, I never had that problem so I don't think I can help you. I wish you all the best. I would need more details as to what your problem with your PC is to help advise you in any way. Good luck, post when you can.

rosco is good with hard drives so maybe he can help you.

I have a rather big hard drive it was one of the special features with this computer among other things. I will never have a space problem. But if I were you and was running your PC, I would look into possible spy-ware infections. Just a thought. That would be my first coarse of action to take into fixing your PC. But I don't have enough facts to really base that on. I don't know your computer configuration.

3out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Candy?????are u talking about a new pc with window 7, if not u will probably need more RAM to run 7 depending on how much u have now, u sure ur not eat up with spyware, and malware, my daughters got so much spyware on it , the pc would not even go online, they had to take it to the pc store, and they reformated the hardrive.. but that was a few years ago,

Last edited by rosco 357 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

4out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i only have a 80 GB hardrive, but im only using 20 GB of it, i still have 60 free, but i dont keep alot of music on it, i have pics on it but i guess i dont have stuff that takes up alot of space,

5out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
well I have 229 GB as you know, and I have a lot of music and videos on my computer and still haven't put a dent in it. I still had a lot of space I will never be able to use..lol Like I said that was a selling features of this PC was its big hard-drive. The duel core processors was too. It wasn't cheap, Its perfect for what I do. I don't need anything more or do I want anything more. This computer does everything I want it to do. I don't have to worry about hard drive space or RAM either. I have 4 sticks of RAM, I maxed it out in that department. lol

6out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yes hardrives keep getting bigger and bigger, i know i saw one with 320 like at walmart, i just dont use alot, and as u know i added ram, from 560 mb to 2 GB which dell said was more than enough for xp. but if i bought 2 i would get free shipping, i know we both run XP , i have XP media edition, and have dells XPS edition pc. and as u know i got it before duel core, but it has hyperthread which was the forerunner of true duel core, mine is software duelcore, hyperthread makes the pc think its duel core, but its not as good as true duel core. but this has been my 4th pc, and the best and longest lasting one i have ever had, there is a bowl game on, i may go check it out, since some are on when i work, im not sure what all media edition does, i dont have much time. i do have my music albums on the media edition place,

7out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Thanks for replies
Brian does not think it was virus. Power surge from power supplier (which might have packed up)...went into hard drive.
I doubt if the drive can be reformated...not sure.
Plug fuse blown. hard drive is not operational on another computer but exspansion drive and small Corsair drive ok.
I had virus A.V.G. & Macafee both operational...I believe Microsoft has a Virus scanner in operation as well.
incredimail stopped any spam ..i did not rec. those
found a few about 12 in my server mailbox which server stopped.
I think I had a lot of Ram..but will discuss that with Brian.
In U.S.A. everything you have is larger....I had 80 gig hard drive.
Brian just knew my computer was about to give up....
I can afford new computer which would be windows 7 ...Vista was rubbish.
So I hope I would like Windows 7 over xp prof. Some people don't, they say they cannot control Windows 7 like they did XP prof. I am not sure what they mean by that.
How old is your computer Tyler....I do know my large external fan gets hot so I turned off at night...it got noisy. Also my cabinet is near the floor which collects dust when hoovering. I said to brian I would like it high next time.
My computer was running well and fast.

8out of action Empty Re: out of action Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Candy Cottingham wrote:My hard Drive has packed up after 6 years...no idea why
There was plently of room on it..still had 40gigs
I bought expansion drive recently..but had not backed everything up.

Have to access mail through my Virgin home page mail box.
Using a small spare 20 Gig hard drive at the moment.
so might not be on so much
not thought of my next move yet.
I had XP professional....might buy windows 7
or do some other alternative.
(definately not a lap top)

Sir Knight has been in hospital with Flue.

well it may not be a to full hardrive problem, it may be that hardrives just crash sometimes and wear out, but i have never had that problem, , or could the spyware like me and tyler said. i would put my money on a virus type problem, but i cant tell,

9out of action Empty Re: out of action Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:38 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Candy Cottingham wrote:
How old is your computer Tyler
My computer I'm using now is about 3 years old. I bought it brand new from the factory. Its a DELL computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I got it just before Windows switched to vista. If I had waited 2 more months I would not of had the option of buying a new computer with Windows XP. I would have had to get Vista. I made damn sure when ordering it I was getting XP. I have another computer that is a Hewlett Packard, it has windows XP Home Edition also. It was my first computer. It still works fine so I kept it. Its just not as good as my DELL I use now. The hard drive on the Hewlett Packard is not nearly as big as this computer. It doesn't have a duel core processor either like my DELL has. I don't use it very much at all. In fact its been about 5 months since I turned it on..lol Its still hooked up I just have no reason to use it. This DELL is far superior and my favorite computer.

Good luck working your problem out. You might need to take it to a PC shop and let them look at it.

10out of action Empty Re: out of action Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
I have no idea why..but I clicked on this link...dattract ect ect
they export all kinds of digital products and offer really competitive and reasonable price and high quality goods. And they will provide the best sales-after-service. I bought a digital camera with very low price, you can buy from them and you may find more surprises there...It began dear friend

I am an idiot...but was tired and had too much mail to read.
These people are very clever.

I do not know if it was responsible for my computer crash.

Because it did not happen straight away,.

But my power supply and hard drive is no good (Broken)
Un repairable.

I am using a small hard drive..from another computer.

Copied and pasted...Trend Micro says it is untested It is never safe to click on these untested links ...It is spam and could well contain spyware and or a viris.

This warning came too late from the site I belong to.
The link was sent through the site from a Member.

I thank you for your support..opinions .. information is always helpful.
My computer may have just worn out..I do not know...6 years old approx.

I think Trend is microsoft's own virus catcher.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum