You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Patriotic Songs in Country Music Empty Best Patriotic Songs in Country Music Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
my words, it nicer to see this on the url, but i posted the article, but it has pics of all the artist at each song, take care,

http://www.theboot.com/2011/06/30/patriotic-songs/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C217566

Country music and patriotism have always gone hand-in-hand. Whether in time of war or peace, American anthems have been fan-favorites for decades. The Boot counts down our 10 favorite country music tributes to the U.S.A.

Bill Steber, Getty Images
10. 'Only in America,' Brooks & Dunn

Proudest Lines: "Only in America/Where we dream in red, white and blue/Only in America/Where we dream as big as we want to"

This song was released just before the 9/11 terrorist attacks and became a patriotic pick-me-up afterward. It resurfaced in 2004 as President George W. Bush's re-election campaign song.

Listen to 'Only In America' | Download it

Jeffrey Mayer, WireImage / Getty Images
9. 'Ragged Old Flag,' Johnny Cash

Proudest Lines: "So we raise her up every morning, take her down every night/We don't let her touch the ground, and we fold her up right/On second thought, I do like to brag/'Cause I'm mighty proud of the ragged old flag"

This flag has several badges of honor: A hole was from Washington crossing the Delaware; one rip was from the Battle of New Orleans and another from Vietnam.

Listen to 'Ragged Old Flag' | Download it

Ebet Roberts, Redferns / Getty Images
8.'Some Gave All,' Billy Ray Cyrus

Proudest Lines: "All gave some and some gave all/And some stood through for the red, white and blue/And some had to fall/And if you ever think of me/Think of all your liberties/And recall, some gave all "

Billy Ray sang this title track to his nine-times platinum debut album for troops on a battleship in Norfolk, Va., in a performance the singer calls one of the highlights of his career.

Listen to 'Some Gave All' | Download it

WireImage / Getty Images
7. 'Bumper of My S.U.V.,' Chely Wright

Proudest Lines: "Yes, I do have questions/I get to ask them because I'm free/That's why I've got a sticker for the U.S. Marines/On the bumper of my S.U.V."

Chely was inspired to write this song after a woman flipped her off in traffic, cursing the singer for her U.S. Marines bumper sticker.

Listen to 'Bumper of My S.U.V.' | Download it

AP
6. 'America,' Waylon Jennings

Proudest Lines: "It don't matter where I may roam/Tell you people that it's home sweet home/America, America "

In this song, written by Sammy Johns, the late country legend praises the unity of his fellow countrymen and asks them to respect the Native Americans who occupied the land first.

Listen to 'America' | Download it

Paul Hawthorne, Getty Images
5. 'Arlington,' Trace Adkins

Proudest Lines: "I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property/I'm on sacred ground, and I'm in the best of company/I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done/I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones/I made it to Arlington."

Trace sings this poignant tune from the perspective of a fallen American soldier, now buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Listen to 'Arlington' | Download it

Redferns / Getty Images
4. 'In America,' Charlie Daniels

Proudest Lines: "We'll all stick together, and you can take that to the bank/That's the cowboys and the hippies, Rebels and the Yanks"

Charlie wrote this song in reaction to the 1979 Iran hostage crisis. Ever the proud American, the famed fiddler also wrote a song called 'This Ain't No Rag, It's a Flag,' in response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Listen to 'In America' | Download it

Rick Diamond, Getty Images
3. 'Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagles Fly,' Aaron Tippin

Proudest Lines: "I pledge allegiance to this flag/And if that bothers you, well, that's too bad/But if you got pride and you're proud you do/Hey, we could use some more like me and you"

Aaron wrote this post-9/11 anthem a decade after writing what was the unofficial theme of the Persian Gulf War: 'You've Got to Stand for Something.'

Listen to 'Where The Stars and Stripes and Eagles Fly' | Download it

Kevin Mazur, WireImage / Getty Images
2. 'American Soldier,' Toby Keith

Proudest Lines: "I will always do my duty, no matter what the price/I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice/Oh and I don't wanna die for you, but if dyin's asked of me/I'll bear that cross with honor, 'cause freedom don't come free"

An outspoken and dedicated supporter of U.S. troops, Toby could fill this entire countdown. In another of his classic patriotic songs, 'Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue,' he tells terrorists, "We'll put a boot up your ass/It's the American way."

Listen to 'American Soldier' | Download it

Hope Powell, Getty Images
1. 'God Bless the USA,' Lee Greenwood

Proudest Lines: "I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today/'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land/God bless the USA"

Though Greenwood wrote this song in 1983, it didn't become a big hit until Desert Storm in 1991, when radio stations embraced it to help boost patriotism. The song re-entered the country charts in 2001 after 9/11.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum