You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Light bulbs ??? Empty Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:35 am

As an old conservative, I'm expected to oppose everything the government does except execute people or wage war. Maybe not. The incadescent light bukbs we have used for a century are incredibly inefficient. 95% heat,only 5% light. Not so bad during the winter when the extra heat may cause your heating system to run a little less time. But during the summer, this heat is not wanted,is wasted, and must be removed by your A/C system.

How much is wasted? These numbers are average: Most houses have the equivalent of 8 100W bulbs burning 12 hours per day. That's 8 X 100 X 12 = 9.6 KWH per day. That's about 300 KWH per month. Around here, That's about $40.00 a mo. just for a convenience.

The new flourescent bulbs would use only about $5.00 but one might say, "So what?. I can afford it !"

Fine, but as a conservative, I suggest that we,as a nation, cannot. I will even go so far to say that using the new curly bulbs is a patriotic act and I have replaced all my bulbs. OMG ! you say. Get out for some fresh air, moon! Well,fresh air or no, I believe my acts to be rational and relevant. We are dancing on the ends of strings being worked by people who hate us. Every dollar we send them for oil is a dollar spent for our destruction. The primitive murderous arabs feed themselves pretty much so their oil revenues are free for them to buy Phillipino slave girls,Mercedes vehicles they throw away like worn-out go carts, and WEAPONS.

Does this give the government the right to cause the end of the manufacture of incandescent bulbs? No, but they have, somehow. What amazes me is the number of people who are upset about that. 100 years ago,a person without smallpox scarring was fairly rare. Now,the disease is moribund and gone in any modern society because of mandated innoculations. Should we bitch about THAT? Should we protest the flouridation of our drinking water?

In my opinion,we have the right,as individuals,to drink any water,use any lightbulb, or evade innoculations of our children, if we want to. And some do. But this society and any society can legitimately task our governments with ending practices that injure us, and wasting electricity does that. Innoculate the kids; flouridate the water, and make imported, old fashioned lightbulbs more expensive than using the new bulbs. On those old bulbs, people can waste all the money and electricity they want to. We should always retain the right to be stupid. I'm proof of that.

2Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 am

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Does this give the government the right to cause the end of the manufacture of incandescent bulbs? No, but they have, somehow. What amazes me is the number of people who are upset about that. 100 years ago,a person without smallpox scarring was fairly rare. Now,the disease is moribund and gone in any modern society because of mandated innoculations. Should we bitch about THAT? Should we protest the flouridation of our drinking water?

hmmm i am annoyed by the ending of incandescent light bulbs...
we can buy 40watt not so easy to buy 60w. not sure we can buy 60w now.

energy efficent and curly bulbs are horrid.....are we to live as moles.

i remember gas light mantles...very dangerous.

hardly use the 100watt, but sometimes we need to see better when sewing ect.

if i am not in the kitchen i leave a very small strip light on.

table lamps are used in my home often.

there is talk of having every street light alternating to not be switched on.

there are not many A/C systems running in our homes.

you have bought up more than one debatable question mooni.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

3Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:56 am

Candy Cottingham wrote:Does this give the government the right to cause the end of the manufacture of incandescent bulbs? No, but they have, somehow. What amazes me is the number of people who are upset about that. 100 years ago,a person without smallpox scarring was fairly rare. Now,the disease is moribund and gone in any modern society because of mandated innoculations. Should we bitch about THAT? Should we protest the flouridation of our drinking water?

hmmm i am annoyed by the ending of incandescent light bulbs...
we can buy 40watt not so easy to buy 60w. not sure we can buy 60w now.

energy efficent and curly bulbs are horrid.....are we to live as moles.

i remember gas light mantles...very dangerous.

hardly use the 100watt, but sometimes we need to see better when sewing ect.

if i am not in the kitchen i leave a very small strip light on.

table lamps are used in my home often.

there is talk of having every street light alternating to not be switched on.

there are not many A/C systems running in our homes.

you have bought up more than one debatable question mooni.
What is there to debate? One can hate the flourescent light's effects on colors, complexions, etc., but that is a matter of personal esthetics. Have I misrepresented the costs? Have I overemphasized the importance? That can be debated. Feel free to do so. Tell me where I am wrong or misguided.

4Light bulbs ??? Empty A correction: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:37 am

"The new flourescent bulbs would use only about $5.00..." should have read "..only about $10.00..."

5Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have tried the curly bulbs , they don't last long in ceiling fan lights and since I have 11 -3 bulb fans in my house it is not working for me . I know at one time they contained mercury and if broken (you were told to call haz-mat to clean it up) you had to be careful. I have broken enough thermometers in my life to chase mercury balls on the floor, guess this wouldn't kill me. I use 40 watt bulbs except in reading areas.

6Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 am

SSC wrote:I have tried the curly bulbs , they don't last long in ceiling fan lights and since I have 11 -3 bulb fans in my house it is not working for me . I know at one time they contained mercury and if broken (you were told to call haz-mat to clean it up) you had to be careful. I have broken enough thermometers in my life to chase mercury balls on the floor, guess this wouldn't kill me. I use 40 watt bulbs except in reading areas.
Eleven fans? ELEVEN?!? Your haouse is too big. You need to buy my house so I can come stay at your house for free.

7Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I have 5 ceiling fans in our house..lol they all have the 3 light bulb kits on them. They all have regular bulbs in them. I think 60 watt. I do have some table lamps with fluorescent bulbs in them. They last a very long time. I really prefer the fluorescent bulbs over regular light bulbs, I like the illumination they give. I rarely use the ceiling fan lights.

8Light bulbs ??? Empty Re: Light bulbs ??? Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Lol..when and if the market gets right I will sell the monster, there are only 3 of us here with 13 rooms and 5 bedrooms..a true pain

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum