runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner

This makes me think of Star Trek,
Fasers on stun :-)

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yes they certainly do look like that.lmao They could also be mistaken for one of those Star Trek communicators perhaps. They did a episode once where they used 2 communicators to blow up a mountain cliff, the radio waves or whatever, tuned into a particular frequency broadcasting a high pitch sound that destroyed it... One example of why you might consider NOT using a cell phone 157918

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
wow i will have to double click that one and send out the url in email to friends, gee and u have seen in the news alot now on what it does ot ur brain on ppl that use cells alot,

Moose

Moose
I agree with Marc, you can't always believe everything you see, it was a trick using misdirection.

http://mooses-site.tripod.com/

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Here's a couple more good ones for you. It seems these video clips are everywhere right now. People are uploading there own videos doing this. Is it all a fake? Maybe, but it certainly looks real in some of them.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I did a little investigating to check this out, and here is the general consensus I believe:

"A new handful of YouTube videos supposedly show cell phones popping popcorn. The method: Surround kernels with a few cell phones and call the phones. When they ring, the kernels pop. The videos have gotten a couple million combined views, and they've seemingly convinced many commenters to fear phones, despite the several obvious signs that they're fake.

So is it possible for a cell phone to have more power than a microwave oven? Or conversely, is it possible for a microwave oven to less powerful than a cell phone?

Truth is that cell phones use and emit less than one thousandth the power that of a microwave oven. So for a cell phone to cook pop corn in less than 1 tenth the time is more than 5 orders of magnitude out of the realm of possibility. This would be roughly similar to trying to pass off a basketball as a golf ball."

Heres more on it:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008/06/10/cell-phone-popcorn.htm

Moose

Moose
Microwave ovens requier a Magnitorn (At least that's what I think its called) to produce and amplifiy the microwaves enough to cook any foods, without it the oven wont work. Those buggers are a bit bigger than any cell phones so......

Moose

Moose
Besides according to research that I did, the company that started the whole thing finally admitted that it was faked.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yes I know, I read that too. Its a fake, no question. But it took some reading up on it to find out. But I think the issue now here is, after the fact, is that the creators of these videos are making the public doubtful the things are safe. People have to go read up on it to be absolutely sure what was happening. Like myself..lmao But stunts happen everywhere so its not surprising that another video hit the internet.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
That makes a lot of sense Marc, and might be what they did, I'm wondering how long it will take YouTube before they think they should remove it from public view. I'm wondering if they're getting negative feedback about it and are asked to remove it.

One example of why you might consider NOT using a cell phone 381659

We'll know if the three videos in here quit playing.

You guys are telling me that Johnny Cochran's brain tumor was NOT caused by his constant use of a cell phone. Damn! I was hoping we had found an effective way to eliminate lawyers.

One example of why you might consider NOT using a cell phone 67629

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
meemoon wrote:I disagree for three reasons. (a) The demonstrations (I saw 3) were not science and more closely resembled a magic trick. Did you notice the presence of other objects in ALL THREE demonstrations such as glasses,cups, and bottles? Props. (b) The AMA has said, after serious study, that cellphones pose no health risk. (c) People who frequently use and LOVE cell phones appear to be stupid because they were born that way. I hate cellphones and wish they had never been invented, but what we saw was urban myth.

i also agree with mark, on the right , it said u can cook an egg, this can be checkd out on , about.com
urban legends ,, they tryed the eggs and it was false, i did not get into the popcorn but sure it is there ,,

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
here is another link that speaks to the falseness of this all
http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
hey now marc , i have to make dr appointment after leaving work some as i diid yesterday, lol, and check on my kids, lol , i dont talk in the workshop, but im the only one that does not, as i said we have one mex that at lunch talks ot his wife but he then talks mex, i tell him i know he talking sex adn trash to her, so speak englishso we want to listen, lol but he is a citizen and his young wife, and he is a smart worker, that works on things that take along time to learn how to get them so they pass the inspectors that check them we have check everything and paint the end green when they pass, yellow is a failure, and has to be corrected,

My nephew, who is finishing his degree in Electrical Engineering, wrote, "Auntie, let me s'plain something to you." He went on and on explaining to me why the videos were bogus. (I answered him with, " I don't need a dissertation on the topic!") Razz

The year I finished my BS degree, the only mobile communication we had was two way hand held "walkie talkies". One example of why you might consider NOT using a cell phone 503179 Sorta

He said, "oh, I forget how old you are!" (He ain't getting peach cobbler the next time he comes to visit! )

Guys, thanks for the heads up in this forum !

gypsy

gypsy
Figi...i i love that, Good for u Girl~~ lol

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
meemoon wrote:
rosco 357 wrote:hey now marc , i have to make dr appointment after leaving work some as i diid yesterday, lol, and check on my kids, lol , i dont talk in the workshop, but im the only one that does not, as i said we have one mex that at lunch talks ot his wife but he then talks mex, i tell him i know he talking sex adn trash to her, so speak englishso we want to listen, lol but he is a citizen and his young wife, and he is a smart worker, that works on things that take along time to learn how to get them so they pass the inspectors that check them we have check everything and paint the end green when they pass, yellow is a failure, and has to be corrected,
My first job after graduating was as a tech writer for Avco-Lycoming and I had to monitor the QC in the shop. (I was just one of many such drones) I quickly learned that tool & die guys could do much more than chew gum and walk at the same time. They also took great pleasure in pointing out how truly ignorant I was about machine work. Speed,feed,temp, lube flow, etc. Sheesh. Writing manuals was a lot easier and safer.My hat is off to you and your colleagues for making us the most productive worker force in the world.

I had a year and a half of college, then i had to go to basic training at fort polk LA, the armpit of the army, lol all vietnam training was all that went on there, and then AIT< there in light weapons, 50 cal on down, and explosive, c-4 and claymore mines , and grenades and launcher, but , when i got back home,. i did not go back to college, everyone said learn a trade , learn a trade, so i got a job in a machineshop that the owner was well known, the machinist there said if u ever work for him , ppl know him in the machineshops here , that u could always find a job, i do wish in a way i had gone back and learned xray tech, and got into the medical field sometime and learn and advance in it , in radiology,, . i told my forman i would go the the jr college, and take machine shop, he said no, that the owner will not even hire anyone that has been to machineshop school , that they come out thinking they are machinist, and he had rather be trained there in the shop, well i got choosen to work with the tool and die maker, along with general machining as we did not always have dies to make,after 5 years a large union company here wanted a tool and die maintence man, but we did machine work also but kept the dies running, i worked there for 5 years then things changed there and i got layed off they went from 4 tool and dies to one, so i was layed off, i never missed a day, i made one phone call to the tool and die man i worked with that was a forman at a tool and die shop that kept the new dies and ran them for the ppl and sold them the parts from the dies,for 5 years . and i learned more there than anywhere, we never once had a print on a die, they either handed me a sample part, or a drawing of the part, but never prints of a die, they just told me to make a die that will make this part, most were progressive dies, that had several progressions in it before the finished part came out, but then the large company called me adn i had lost my seniority, and said they cant call me back from lay off since i was offf longer than i worked, but could hire me back, so i knew it was a great place to work, so i went back,and was there 15 years, till it closed, it was here 50 years but they had some non union places around the united states, they had a plant in saudi arabia and still do , and built one in mexico, , NAFTA<,,and now one or two in china,, so it closesed here, but while i was there for those 15 years, machining changed, to cnc, computer contoled machining , and tool and die changed to wire edm, machines which also use carbon electodes cut to a a shape but electronicaly, cut already hard steel into part s of the die, so i missed all that, i was offered a job a couple years ago, from the company that bought the building which covered 40 acres, where i was for the total of 20 years, 5 +15.. to machine carbon to burn in edm machines , they had the edm man but needed someone to make carbon electrodes in shapes to make the dies they used, but where i work now had cheeper insurance ,adn better benefits, adn more money, i do manual machining, they have cnc machines which pay a bit more , but i run manual ones, but these are large machines ,i take cuts that are up to 16 ft, 6 inches long,
some of my cuts last 45 minutes . its railroad parts, and a good place to work, or the one i work at is, the other one in town is bigger but it sucks, iwas there 3 years and did not like it, but they neeed a manual machiest at the other plant, and they had me move to teh one i am at now, i have been here 18 months, the cnc ppl cant do lots of things, like they have me sharpen drill bits for them. but most all machining even mine is done with carbide inserts, i have been hurt some mostly cut tendon in my hands, mainly on top of fingers so u cant lift ur finger and one thumb but they have plasic surgeons do surgery, and then it all up to teh therapist, who amase me in the contraptions they fabricate to put ur hand in, the surgeon actually sews the ends of the cut tendons together,and for weeks u can close ur finger then slowly they have progression to start closing ur finger and thumb, a bit more each week, making sure u dont break the surgery, they have to streach the tendon so u eventually can close ur finger into a fist, it takes like 12 weeks to finish all that, they always say ur better off to break ur finger than cut a tendon into, well sorry to run on, right now, rail is a cheep way to move freight, so we have tons of work, ok i will hush u take care marc,

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i hear ya also as i was an hour late this morning, but worked 8 hours but the bastards still gave me a point on being late,it a dumb rule.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
when i have time i will tell u some stories where i worked for 20 years, man we had it made there, i made so much stuff, for home and the lake,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum