You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Obama to visit Indian Nation Empty Obama to visit Indian Nation Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:57 pm

gypsy

gypsy
http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/06/05/obama-indian-country-today-standing-rock-sioux-tribe-north-dakota/10004205/

President Obama announced Thursday he will be making his first visit to Indian country since moving into the White House.

In an op-ed for Indian Country Today, the president said that he and first lady Michelle Obama will travel June 13 to Cannonball, N.D., to visit the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

"I'll announce the next steps my Administration will take to support jobs, education, and self-determination in Indian country," Obama wrote.

Obama, who visited the Crow Nation in Montana during his 2008 presidential campaign, also wrote:

"As I've said before, the history of the United States and tribal nations is filled with broken promises. But I believe that during my Administration, we've turned a corner together.

"We're writing a new chapter in our history -- one in which agreements are upheld, tribal sovereignty is respected, and every American Indian and Alaskan Native who works hard has the chance to get ahead."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum