You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Black Gold Empty Black Gold Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:22 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Anyone watching Black Gold ? New episode tonight.!!!

2Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yeah this series looks like it might be really good, especially since they created Deadliest Catch, but I'll miss it tonight's episode but maybe I can start setting my VCR to record it.

There are lots of these Deadliest Catch episodes at youtube.

Deadliest Catch (Original and Genuine Trailer)

3Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 pm

gypsy

gypsy
is that a new series? I don't watch much tv,it looks like it is about oil? is it a soap?

4Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:24 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
now gypsy let me guess, deadiest catch ppl made it so i would imagine the show would be about oil wells and the dangers workers encounter, and i have not seen it, only a guess, anyone know, correct me,

5Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:30 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
This explains the show better than I could.

Bubblin' Crude: Black Gold, from the
Deadliest Catch guys

More danger TV
By ROBERT ABELE

http://www.laweekly.com/film+tv/surf-report/bubblin-crude-black-gold-from-the-deadliest-catch-guys/19113/

The Texas oil-derrick show Black Gold, debuting this week on truTV, is the latest example of too-tough-for-you reality programming — following executive producer Thom Beers’ hit shows Deadliest Catch on Discovery and Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel — in which a job (crab fishing in the Bering Sea; driving semis over lakes of frozen ice) is presented as fit for only the bravest, most rugged and usually rowdiest of souls. On Black Gold, we meet three über-macho teams of West Texas drilling crews vying for the same potential pool of crude thousands of miles below the surface, and, as you can imagine, There Will Be Peril. But apart from the physical kind — falling from the tops of derricks, getting crushed by pile-driving iron, losing limb or life from a fast-unraveling, high-speed-snapping hunk of chain — there’s the management kind: the thousands of dollars lost by the hour when any snafu halts drilling, the worm (slang for a rig newbie) who can’t seem to show up on time and the hard partiers (an understandable sort given the backbreaking work) who simply don’t show up at all the next day. Of course, an average viewer’s appreciation of the danger depicted on Black Gold will surely be tempered by his or her own apprehension pulling up to a gas station to fill up on the wallet-shredding output from these sweaty, foulmouthed, well-paid men and the millionaire wildcatters who hire them. At the very least, watching this entertaining series, you can tip your hat to the grimy laborers out in the field who seriously earn their pay, and still reserve your disdain for the wealthy oilman who talks of his homeland-drilling operation as if he were a savior in the effort to wean us off foreign oil. Sell me old energy, fine. Just don’t try to sell me new bullshit.

6Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I love that show, the episode with the rattle snakes all over the derrick was hair raising. Those guys bust ass everyday

7Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 pm

gypsy

gypsy
rosco 357 wrote:now gypsy let me guess, deadiest catch ppl made it so i would imagine the show would be about oil wells and the dangers workers encounter, and i have not seen it, only a guess, anyone know, correct me,

well now rosco, thats why I asked, I don't watch tvmuch. never heard of Deadliest catch~ thanks for the nice response,..not~

but I do like army wives on lifetime..

8Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:18 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Tyler, I know a man who is an ice road trucker, you talk about guts..not me knowing there is nothing but ice and cold water under me , watching the trucks break thru and seeing the drivers bail out is something else. Deadliest Catch has really taken on a personal touch bringing back the same 5 boats for episode 5..Those boys in Black Gold are just as hard as the other 2 shows. These are real life jobs and lives are lost in each one. Alot of great camera work on all three.

9Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:06 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Yeah the ice road truckers do have tough job, they should do a TV series about them..lol I'm sure the camera crew gets paid well on Deadliest Catch, and they'd have to be pretty brave, becuase if the ship goes down so does the camera crew.

10Black Gold Empty Ice Road Truckers Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:51 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
They are into their 2nd season for the show on the History channel, it started June 8th.

11Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:37 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Oh, I did not know that, shows how much television I watch eh? I watch about 1 hr of TV a week, total.

12Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:29 pm

has anyone thought of Trick Photography? just like they do in those wild action Movies, ha ha IT is NOT real!!!

13Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
astral75 wrote:has anyone thought of Trick Photography? just like they do in those wild action Movies, ha ha IT is NOT real!!!
lol, i hope that is a joke, if not well the ppl reading it that has seen the shows, will know , do u own a tv? and if ur not kidding, just crawl back into ur cave,

14Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:
rosco 357 wrote:now gypsy let me guess, deadiest catch ppl made it so i would imagine the show would be about oil wells and the dangers workers encounter, and i have not seen it, only a guess, anyone know, correct me,

well now rosco, thats why I asked, I don't watch tvmuch. never heard of Deadliest catch~ thanks for the nice response,..not~

but I do like army wives on lifetime..

yep im sorry, to be so sarcastic, i guess i just figured most ppl had seen deadliest catch since it is so popular,

15Black Gold Empty how real is reality tv Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 am

gypsy

gypsy

16Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:35 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
There is no mistaking that fishing for crab in the Barring Sea is dangerous, it's also no secret they are well aware the camera crew is filming them, so in conclusion we can safely assume they hype it up a bit and exaggerate for entertainment purposes, but are still 'in danger', and for all practical purposes and for what some people might say is fake, is in fact "real".

17Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
You are so right Tyler, these boats may be on camera but the dangers are still very much a reality. They are there to catch crab and make a living, if you ever see the episode where they take the haul in and get paid , at the end it breaks down what each boat earned then breaks down to what the hands made. The highest amount i have seen so far is $43,000.00 per full share per deck hand, not a bad pay check.

18Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:07 pm

oh rosco! lol did you look at the article Gypsy posted? i guesss not, otherwise you wouldn't insult my intelligence, but hey,what you expect from a moron? ha ha ha ha

19Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Cave dwellers did not have a TV, but they were excellent painters
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vroominbaby/1246543498/

20Black Gold Empty well hi there, Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:22 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
astral75 wrote:oh rosco! lol did you look at the article Gypsy posted? i guesss not, otherwise you wouldn't insult my intelligence, but hey,what you expect from a moron? ha ha ha ha

well i would insult ur intelligence if i thought u had any,, gee i can see ur one from across the pond, or born there, its ok u cant help it,, take care,

21Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Which article from Gypsy they are every where..Not making a very good start as a newbie are you.

22Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:46 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
The reality is that it's still dangerous, demanding, cold and wet out there. The gear and the processes are real, bait goes down, crab come up, and sometimes boats are endangered and people even die. Adding melodrama is for ratings no question, but to say its all fake is not true either.

This is the article he was referring to SSC, its just a slam at reality shows in general.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Real-is-Reality-TV?&id=191704

23Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:17 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Thanks Tyler, I had totally missed that post of Gypsy's, not that I had missed much another negative view , just considering the source and the followers.

SSC

SSC
Admin
KILLER CRABS
WHY 'DEADLIEST CATCH' IS TV'S MOST DANGEROUS SHOW
By DON KAPLAN http://www.newyorkpost.com
Each year, $300,000 worth of production equipment is destroyed during filming.March 30, 2007

'DEADLIEST Catch" is the only reality show where someone is almost guaranteed to die each season.

The show follows the hardships and occasionally tragic ends of fishermen working hundreds of miles off the coast of Alaska in some of the world's most violent waters. It has been a staple on the Discovery Channel for three years.

"It's got to be the dumbest place to work in January," says executive producer Thom Beers.

"It's all about the working class guy," says Beers of both the fishermen and the camera crews he sends out to sea with them. "These are guys who go out and earn a living. What they're doing is modern-day prospecting and nature, in all its violence, is the great leveler. It's about how a working-class guy makes it rich."

The latest season starts on Tuesday.

Depending on the catch, fishermen can make nearly $10,000 in a week - or almost nothing. Little has been said, however, about the production crews who make the harrowing journey each year to film the dangers on a fleet of crab boats.

Each ship frequently battles 60-foot waves, while the crews work outside during the wild storms that toss around 1,000-lb. steel crab traps like toys and leave tons of ice clinging to the already unbalanced fishing boats.

Occasionally sleep-deprived fishermen slide off of the slick, rolling decks or worse. If someone gets their legs tangled in the ropes attached to the traps, they're instantly dragged down to the sea bottom, never to be seen again.

Statistically, each year at least one crewman who sails with the Alaska crab fleet will not be coming back. By the second episode of this season, three men are dead, killed when their boat sinks into the icy waters.

The men who film the show assume the same risks. "Normally it's guys between the ages of 25 and 30 who are looking for this great adventure and come from this pool of adventure cameramen who have been doing this sort of thing for years on shows like 'Survivor' ," says Beers. After the show was nominated for a cinematography Emmy last year, more seasoned cameramen have applied for the job.

So far, none of the cameramen have been seriously hurt, but the job is not for the fainthearted. Each season, about $250,000 to $300,000 worth of high-definition TV production equipment is destroyed by seawater and the extreme weather. Sometimes the cameras are sacrificed so that the operator can survive.

"Two years ago one of the boats caught fire [it was put out] but a few days later another one, The Big Valley, went down. Between the fire and then the loss of a ship, the guy we had on the boat that caught fire was so freaked out he locked himself in his cabin and didn't come out for eight days," says Beers.

25Black Gold Empty Re: Black Gold Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:59 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Deadliest Catch is real enough for all the important reasons in my opinion, sure, they may hype it up on the conversations, and they might purposely head for a storm that they might not have normally done had they not been on TV, sure I can accept that concept, but the danger still exists, so I think the argument over if its "real" or not should be defined what you mean by the word real. Are they in danger, is that part real? The answer is clearly Yes. Would they be saying all the things they say and pull all the stunts they do if the camera wasn't rolling? Maybe not, but then again, who cares about that.

Good article SSC, it supports what we been saying all along, that it is indeed real, and for all the important reasons.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum