1sorrow and sadness Empty sorrow and sadness Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:24 pm

gypsy

gypsy
it is so hard to let go,a loved one is part of our soul

Mother,Father,Child,Grandchild,husband/wife,friends.
we never want to go there,
but death is a part of life,the minute we are born,we start to die..

Love always to the grieving

I think they must be in a better place,my opinion only..

so many steps to healing,
you experience one by one

remembering,anger,love, so many---
we all have the sorrow..

remember their suffering is over

Love, to all

2sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:32 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:

I think they must be in a better place,my opinion only..l

I'm not troubled by people who hold different beliefs, only those who really do not know why they believe what they do.

Unlike you, I am not willing to sacrifice my logic and common sense, and if you pardon the expression "God given ability to reason" with an unsubstantiated "opinion".

As demonstrated by your earlier posts when someone posts an opinion, you have always frowned upon Blogs and news reports that only expressed opinions, interesting you don't hold the same value to your opinions with something as important as "God" and his Heaven. sorrow and sadness 7747

3sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:56 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I see, and understand Tyler

4sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:25 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well, if you see and understand, then you of course acknowledge the fact that you do not know if there is indeed a God, and that you are only speculating and guessing, forming an "opinion" as it were.

I don't expect you to convince me, or make an argument, about something you're not even sure about of yourself, so don't bother quoting scripture to me in an attempt to get your point across that way, the scripture is relative to an "opinion" and belief, and is in my mind, not a trustworthy source, and is irrelevant.

Now don't go thinking I'm picking on you, I'm not, I think religion is sometimes good for forums to get a discussion going. So feel free to express. We just don't have a entire forum devoted to it, but it CAN be discussed.

5sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:48 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Now is probably not the best time for me to post my views on god and all his wonders, but I have read this post since it hit the board, first thinking the timing could not have sucked any worse.
In the last 9 days my whole life has turned upside down. I sit here watching my 12 year old granddaughter who had rock solid faith in her god shake her fist to the heavens and scream at her god how could he be so cruel to take her Paw-Paw and make her hurt so bad.Never in my whole life have I heard such pain in a voice.
So lets talk about god....Is there one ? Where ?? What kind of a god is he ? Sadistic ? Compassionate ? Or could it be it is all a myth, something invented to control the weak and scared. The preachers thump the bible with words to intimidate, trying to convince the flock to fill the collection plate and buy their way to the golden gates of heaven.
Don't fear death they say. Now lets stop and think, how do any of these people have a clue to what happens at death. I just watched death, I watched monitors slowly drop numbers till all that was left were straight lines. I didn't see any miracle take place, no angels swooping down, no mysterious mist in the air, only the body of my husband laying lifeless. His life had ended, no trumpets just silence.
So please explain this god to me .

6sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well, as you know my father passed away a few weeks ago and this kind of discussion (religion, God) doesn't bother me. The timing to me was perfect becuase it is what was on my mind at that time. If it disturbed you when you first read it I sincerely apologize. Having said that, it was written more for my own sanity than anything else. It does me good to get thoughts off my chest sometimes.

You know I'm an Agnostic so my view on God's existence is "I Do Not Know". But what I'm SURE of is the bibles God is false. No God would do the things the bible teaches. Anyway and whatever, it is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone, at least not this time..lol

7sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am

gypsy

gypsy
I wasn't going o post about this, but I felt I need to explain myself once again
I meant this post as a comfort for those who have gone through the pain of losing someone they love
I have lost two children,and a grand child,and nu erous friends.relatives. so i know what it is like.

my post was taken in the wrong context, I am not preaching or pushing my belief..

I respect others belief, i only ask you respect mine..

8sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:my post was taken in the wrong context, I am not preaching or pushing my belief..

I respect others belief, i only ask you respect mine..
I never thought you were pushing your belief, I was only thinking out loud, it wasn't a retort to your post only an observation, and perhaps out of context to your post, but it was just my thoughts at the moment. Excuse my intrusion on your topic, it was probably posted in the wrong place, I should have created a new topic in the general thoughts section and posted it their. My Mistake.

9sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:14 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner

10sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:27 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Tyler, my problems were not with your reply to Gypsy's post, It was in the content of her post, I am sure she ment well, but I do not believe in a ..better place...nor do I believe in the whole God theory.

11sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:45 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Ok, after reading that again a second time after I posted I started to get the feeling you might have meant her post, again my mistake for thinking you meant mine. Shit, I'm gettin everything wrong lately, sorrow and sadness 850894

Oh well,..

12sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
No silly you aren't getting everything wrong, you are just a mortal like the rest of us . sorrow and sadness 19239

13sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:12 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Thank you, and yes I am.. sorrow and sadness 67629

14sorrow and sadness Empty Think about life after death Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
Think about life after death

If you are a Christian, then Jesus promises that your soul will have everlasting life. In John 3:16 the Bible says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." All that you have to do is believe in Jesus and your soul gets to go to heaven.

But have you ever really thought about your soul? Have you ever thought about how the afterlife would work? Which life forms get an afterlife and which do not?

Start with a bacterium. Does it have a soul and does it get an afterlife? A bacterium is a cell membrane filled with a variety of molecules. These molecules react together in different ways to create what we call life. Although all of these molecules are reacting in fascinating, interlocking ways, they are still nothing more than chemicals reacting. The "miracle of life" is no miracle -- it is a big chemical reaction. When those reactions stop, the cell is dead.

Now here is the question: When the bacterium dies, does it get an afterlife?

There are not many people in the United States who believe that bacteria go to heaven. The Bible does not talk about heaven being filled with all the disease, putrefaction and pestilence that bacteria cause. And what, exactly, would go to heaven? Do all of the bacterium's molecules get transported to another dimension so that they can keep reacting? If that were happening, there would be thousands of tons of chemicals leaving earth every day. Clearly there is no afterlife for bacteria cells.

What about mosquitoes? A mosquito is much more complex than a bacterium cell. For one thing, a mosquito is a multi-cellular insect with amazing capabilities. But if you look at each cell in a mosquito, it is very much like a bacterium in its basic functioning.

Do mosquitoes get an afterlife? Clearly not. Think of how many mosquitoes have lived and died over the course of millions of years. No one imagines heaven being full of septillions of everlasting mosquitoes. There is also the problem that we saw with bacteria -- the only way for a mosquito to go to heaven would be to somehow transport all the chemicals in a mosquito from earth to heaven.

What about mice? They are no different from mosquitoes. Mice are multicellular organisms, but each cell is a little chemical factory very much like a bacterium. Dogs? Ditto. Chimps? Ditto.

So what about humans?

The human body is nothing but a set of chemical reactions. The chemical reactions powering a human life are no different from the reactions powering the life of a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. When a human being dies, the chemical reactions stop. There is no "soul" mixed in with the chemicals, just like there is no soul in a bacterium, a mosquito, a mouse, a dog or a chimp. Why would there be an afterlife for the chemicals that make up a human body?

The whole notion of your "soul" is completely imaginary. The concept of a "soul" has been invented by religion because many people have trouble facing their own mortality. It makes people feel better, but the concept is a complete fabrication.

It is when you think about the chemical reactions powering your life and your brain that you realize how completely imaginary your "soul" truly is. And at that point, everything about religion comes unraveled.

Think back to when you were a kid and you realized that Santa was imaginary. As soon as you knew it, it was obvious. Reindeer cannot fly. A man cannot slide down chimneys. There is no way for one little sleigh to carry all the toys for all the kids in the world. Etc. It is obvious that Santa is make believe.

In the same way, it is obvious that human beings are big, walking chemical reactions (see this article for a description of how the reactions work). Your "soul" is make believe just like Santa. When the chemical reactions cease, you die. That is the end of it.

Knowing this, you can see that everything about religion is imaginary. God, the Bible, Jesus, the resurrection, prayer, the Ten Commandments, the creation story, your soul, everlasting life, heaven... every bit of it is the product of human imagination. The same goes for Allah, the Koran and so on. As a species we have believed all of this religious dogma for centuries, and most of us believe it today to some degree. And yet... it is all fiction. Today's "God" is just as fictional as were the gods of the Egyptians, the Romans and the Aztecs.

Understanding the Rationalizations
Christians will rationalize the concept of the soul by saying that the soul is a magical element that has nothing to do with cell chemistry. God divinely "instills the soul in each of us." According to believers, the soul is of another dimension and therefore is beyond science.

Whenever you hear people talking about "magic" and "other dimensions", it is a clear marker for delusion. It is as simple as that. The soul is a completely imaginary concept, as is God.

http://godisimaginary.com

15sorrow and sadness Empty Re: sorrow and sadness Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
That brings to mind George Carlin's thoughts on Abortion: