You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Woman claims denture cream crippled her Empty Woman claims denture cream crippled her Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:06 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Woman claims denture cream crippled her
Reported by: Paige Kornblue
Last Update: 10:53 am
http://www.wptv.com/content/health/story/Boca-woman-sues-denture-cream/WrdyNoIl9UmNXeSekY_Mmg.cspx

Woman claims denture cream crippled her (WPTV)

SUBURBAN BOCA RATON, FL--Like most moms, Marianne Chapman will tackle Xbox with her little one. But unlike most moms, Chapman says she doesn't have full use of her hands to compete.

The 31-year-old says the problems started 11 years ago. "I woke up and had no feeling in my hands," Chapman said.

Now she has problems throughout her body. She can't pick up her children like she used to, can't run, can't ride a bike.

Chapman blames it all on Fixodent denture adhesive cream and is suing Procter & Gamble, the company that makes it.

According to the complaint, Chapman suffered and continues to suffer injuries including zinc poisoning and neurological damages.

"We don't really know the connection but there is a clear affiliation because the denture creams do have zinc in them and they're higher in zinc concentration. There was actually a recent study that showed that the concentrations in the blood stream in patients that used denture creams on a daily basis was significantly higher than your normal levels of zinc, but it's still yet too early to be definitive," says emergency medicine physician David Soria, MD.

Soria adds that there can be many variables.

"For example when you buy a tube of denture cream - on the box itself it says that tube is good for 3-10 weeks; however what we found in that study, and in several surveys, is patients can use that tube in several days," says Soria.

"I was going through 3, maybe 4 tubes a week. It was quite a bit," says Chapman.

Chapman also admits her dentures do not fit properly and they never have since they were fitted in 2001.

Procter & Gamble released a statement. It reads, in part: "Fixodent contains ingredients that are generally recognized as safe in the amounts used. A small amount of zinc is used in fixodent to help the denture stay in place securely."

Marianne is not alone in this fight.

Reports show there are at least a dozen similar cases across the country and they are being consolidated right here in South Florida.

"All those cases are being funneled down here to the southern district for pretrial discovery purposes so we're at the very beginning stages of the process now," says Chapman's attorney, David Shiner.

GlaxoSmithKline is facing similar suits surrounding its Super Poligrip denture adhesive cream.

Whatever the case, Chapman has a message for all denture cream users.

"Be very careful, make sure you don't use a lot of it," says Chapman.

"I will never get my life back. It's very difficult," adds Chapman.

Chapman showed us she now uses the CVS-brand similar to Fixodent.

Dr. Soria says if you are a denture cream user and have any signs of numbness, tingling, weakness, or imbalance, contact your dentist or physician.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum