You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sarah Palin Empty Sarah Palin Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:51 pm

gypsy

gypsy
my opinion
it was ok for Rush Limbaugh to use the word retard/she says that was comic satire, but Sarah complains about the ones she doesn't support using it/which I don't like the word either,but you can't just pick on those you don't support,she said Rham should be fired for using the word.

anyway here is the comedy guy
also some comments..

response

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-voice-actor-says-palin-does-not-have-a-sense-of-humor/?no_interstitial

Family Guy’ Voice Actor Says Palin ‘Does Not Have a Sense of Humor’
By DAVE ITZKOFF
Andrea Fay FriedmanAndrea Fay Friedman, who has Down syndrome, was a voice actor in a recent episode of “Family Guy” criticized by Sarah Palin.

Since it was shown on Sunday, an episode of the Fox animated comedy “Family Guy” has drawn the repeated condemnation of Sarah Palin, the former Republican governor of Alaska and 2008 vice-presidential nominee.

In the episode, the teenage character Chris dates a girl named Ellen, who has Down syndrome, and who tells him over dinner that her mother is “the former governor of Alaska.” Ms. Palin, whose son Trig also has Down syndrome, has said that the “Family Guy” show “really isn’t funny” and was the work of “cruel, cold-hearted people.” Ms. Palin’s daughter Bristol has written that the “Family Guy” writers were “mocking my brother and my family,” and called them “heartless jerks.”

One person who supports the “Family Guy” staff is Andrea Fay Friedman, the 39-year-old actor and public speaker who played Ellen in that episode. Like the character, Ms. Friedman also has Down syndrome.

In an e-mail message sent on Thursday to The New York Times, Ms. Friedman wrote:

I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line “I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska” was very funny. I think the word is “sarcasm.”

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life.

Ms. Friedman also spoke by phone with ArtsBeat about her “Family Guy” episode and the controversy that followed. These are excerpts from that conversation.
Q.

How did you start out as an actor?
A.

Before I did “Family Guy,” I started studying at the Santa Monica Playhouse when I was 14, and then I also studied at the Stagecoach. And then I did more acting at Santa Monica College. My biggest break was “Life Goes On,” when I was 21.
Q.

How were you hired to do this episode of “Family Guy”?
A.

“Family Guy” talked to my dad first, before I knew about “Family Guy,” because I never watched it. But since I’m watching it, it’s really funny. They told me I was going to be animated, they were going to draw me, and I did not have to know the lines by memory. I just had to read it. It was really funny. I enjoyed it. I had a nice time doing it.
Q.

Did they specifically tell you that the character you were going to play also had Down syndrome?
A.

Yeah, they told me I was playing Ellen, who was Miss Bossy. I didn’t want to be bossy, but since they want me to be bossy, I just had to be as the character. I had to be bossy, as part of my process. That’s the only way to transform the real me to an animated person. So I had to do what an actor does. I just wing it and have fun with it.
Q.

When you get asked to play characters who have Down syndrome, does that make you at all uncomfortable?
A.

No, I’m proud of it. I’m not embarrassed. But mostly, it doesn’t matter if you have Down syndrome. Really, it just matters to have a different challenge.
Q.

When did you find out about the reaction that the episode elicited from Sarah Palin and her family?
A.

[laughs] That I did not even know about until my mom told me, “You’re on Channel 4!” And when I watched on Channel 4, on “Extra,” and I saw Sarah Palin with her son Trig. I’m like, “I’m not Trig. This is my life.” I was making fun of Sarah Palin, but not her son.
Q.

Do you agree with what she and her daughter Bristol were saying, that the character and the jokes were insulting to people with Down syndrome?
A.

It’s not really an insult. I was doing my role, I’m an actor. I’m entitled to say something. It was really funny. I was laughing at it. I had a nice time doing voiceover. It was my first time doing a voiceover, and I had fun.
Q.

Do you know what other acting roles you’ve got coming up?
A.

That I don’t know. [laughs] No one asked me yet. I’m still waiting. My dad gets the calls, and he tells me about it. I’d like to go back on “Saving Grace,” that’s my favorite show.
Q.

What do you do when you’re not acting?
A.

I work at a law firm, I’ve been here for 20 years. I’ve spoken all over the world, India and Japan. Dad taught me some Japanese. I like spending time with family and friends, go bowling and skiing, going to birthday parties.
Q.

You’ve got a big birthday coming up yourself. How are you bracing yourself for the big 4-0?
A.

Eh, it’s a big step. It’s a milestone. Might as well just leap for it.

featured, television, Family Guy, Fox, Sarah Palin, Seth MacFarlane
Related Posts
From ArtsBeat

Toronto
February 18th, 2010
6:11 pm
Bravo Ms Friedman, for your strength of character and for showing yourself to be more intelligent than someone who dared try to be vice president of the United States.

Continued good luck to you in landing the acting jobs and voiceovers.

Thank you Mr Itzkoff.
Recommend Recommended by 126 Readers
Frank
Texas
February 18th, 2010
7:04 pm
I'm from Texas, and I consider myself a conservative, but I'm really beginning to be annoyed by Sara Palin. As I hope is true with most folks, I have a special place in my heart for folks with Down syndrome. They are challenged, and day-by-day, they meet that challenge. I am quite impressed by the "young" lady who performed in the Family Guy episode. And I am equally tired of Ms. Palin using Down syndrome as a political gesture. I'm tired of her sound bites, her "folksy" manner, and her self-serving references to her family. Right now, I'm just trying to laugh, as Ms. Friedman is able to. Ms. Palin: your "schtick" is going over, even in Texas.
Recommend Recommended by 158 Readers
nutjob
sf
February 18th, 2010
7:04 pm
Yes, lets all discriminate against people with Down Syndrome by treating them as people who are different and have to be coddled. Or we can just accept that they're like everyone else and sometimes get a ribbing.
Recommend Recommended by 57 Readers
barbtries
raleigh nc
February 18th, 2010
7:06 pm
you left out part of Andrea's letter: "In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."
Recommend Recommended by 172 Readers
Cookiec
San Francisco
February 18th, 2010
7:06 pm
Why did you not print the full email?

As follows:

My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

Richard
San Francisco, CA
February 18th, 2010
7:07 pm
Brava, brava Ms. Friedman. The late Governor not only lacks a sense of humor, but she insists on having everything both ways. Before the tea party she shuns political correctness, but when satire dare touches her family she becomes the epitome of PC. Bottom line she is an opportunist of epic proportions.
Recommend Recommended by 71 Readers
cookiec
San Francisco
February 18th, 2010
Although the full email was not printed by the New York Times, it can be found at palin gates.
Recommend Recommended by 26 Readers
Carol
Minnesota
February 18th, 2010
What a charming person. She is lucky that she came from a supportive family.
I understand that Ms Friedman also said that " My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes." I hope Sarah spends some time with Trigg so that his opportunities are many.
Recommend Recommended by 56 Readers

Arkansas
February 18th, 2010
Is it true that the NYT omitted the last sentence of the original email? The unedited text expresses Ms. Friedman's strong opinion about Palin's manipulation of her son Trig for public support. Was Ms. Friedman view, which is shared by many, just too painfully obvious to include?
Recommend Recommended by 73 Readers
KaJo
Oregon
February 18th, 2010
7:08 pm
I love Andrea Friedman's honesty and sense of humor and her REALISM.

It proves to those of us who felt all along that Sarah Palin, through her daughter's alleged Facebook comments, was channelling her "victim" schtick again and that we were right about that.

By the way, the Times left off the last sentence of Andrea Friedman's "Letter to the Editor". She finished it with "My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes." Can't imagine why the NYT left that out!

Anyway, the letter in its entirety is published exclusively at Palingates.blogspot.com -- you can find the blog entry at http://palingates.blogspot.com...
Recommend Recommended by 58 Readers
hadenuff
missouri
February 18th, 2010
7:09 pm
Sarah Palin has a terrific sense of humor: especially when the joke's on you.

Pam
Muscatine, ia
February 18th, 2010

http://palingates.blogspot.com...

Team Trig
Deep in the Heart of Texas
February 18th, 2010
I'm not sure why the Times neglected to publish Ms. Friedman's entire statement, but here it is, courtesy of www.palingates.com:

"My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."

If there were any doubt, I think it's safe to say that Andrea has greater poise in her little finger than the former half-Governor could hope to accumulate in a lifetime.

Lisa
Maine
February 18th, 2010
Thank you, Ms. Friedman, for being smarter, funnier and more lovely than the woman who claims to be defending you on all the talk shows. Sarah Palin wants the spotlight for herself, but you deserve it. And you clearly do not need anyone to defend you or speak for you; you seem to be doing a fine job living your own life on your own terms.

And Happy Birthday!

jp pueshel
les nyc
February 18th, 2010
Andrea Fay Friedman rocks! I hope your agent has already lined up more Family Guy appearances, an SNL gig with McFarlane & Tina Fey (!), and spots on Ellen and The View.

The Dude
The Cloud
February 18th, 2010
Right on Friedman!

Martin
California
February 18th, 2010
7:10 pm
The only way this could have been even more wonderful was if Ms. Friedman had said "I think the word is 'satire.'" But she's obviously too intelligent to have been watching Ms. Palin defending Rush Limbaugh on Fox's "exclusive interview" of their own paid analyst.

Thank you so much, Andrea Fay Friedman!
R
February 18th, 2010
7:10 pm
It is Palin and her family that are the jerks. She is the one who used her family to make political hay. If you do that, you give up your right to both privacy and having a thing skin. Palin has not stopped bragging about her having a Down
syndrome child. I think everyone should give 1 penny to her PAC if she promises to shut up. I feel very sorry for all her children and for her grand child. They will be writing books for decades about what their mother and grandmother did to them for the sake of politics.
Recommend Recommended by 29 Readers
Jenny P.
Casper WY
February 18th, 2010
7:23 pm
So happy to hear this lovely young lady speak up. Bristol Palin should stop sticking her immature nose into things she doesn't understand.

I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line “I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska” was very funny. I think the word is “sarcasm.”

_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Sarcasm, by definition of the noun, is intended to convey thoughts to the effect of "scorn" or "insult" or "contempt". I can't help thinking that Friedman has tried to say something closer to the more inclusive noun "irony", or perhaps "satire".

That doesn't mean that the line in _Family Guy_ is funny or clever. But it _is_ typical fare for Fox.

February 18th, 2010
7:23 pm
Of course Palin has a sense of humor, She thought she could be President!

February 18th, 2010
7:25 pm
I hope Ms Friedman gets more work out of this - it's a sign of real courage and self confidence to be able to make self-deprecating jokes on whatever one's "minority" status is - be it ethnic or whatever. In that, Ms Friedman joins a long line of humorists - black, Jewish, Italian, Irish, overweight, old, Korean, gay- whose humor "humanized" them in the eyes of a wide audience, ie. all the rest of us, whoever and whatever we might be.

Ms. Palin should be ashamed of herself of being ashamed of her son. Let's hope that when he grows up, he will be as successful as Ms. Friedman, despite his biggest handicap - his mom.

2Sarah Palin Empty Replying Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 am

gypsy

gypsy
I know I am replying/to my post.

ok let me explain.

our daughter has a disability//doesn't mean she can't learn,.she is just slower/this happened when she had a very high fever at 3months old
Chris will be forty in July,she graduated from high school/1990
that is remarkable, we never coddle dher, but loved and respect/she has a great sense of humor,very protective of her family

she can talk about disabilities//I am referring to Palin,and her exploiting her precious son
for her political gain,I abhor this..we help those we love not abuse/use them..

3Sarah Palin Empty Beauty Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:54 am

gypsy

gypsy
is skin deap/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum