You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spotted Dick Empty Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 am

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
The good people of Great Britain have a beloved and time-honored delicacy, a steamed suet pudding known as spotted dick.

Do What...We do not eat that any more...

We ate it because we were hungry....it was filling and kept us warm.

I would not call that a delicacy...

Took ages to steam in a pudding cloth...possibly two hours.

I loved steamed Suet Meat Pudding...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

2Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Jean what kind of seasonings did you use? put a recipe on the recipe section please:)

3Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i remember my mom if we had lots of mash potatoes left over the next night we had fryed mash potato
i guess u call them cakes, seems she put cut up onions in them thats been so long ago . perhaps gypsy had done this and can elaborate on it, and were johnny cakes, corn meal fryed cakes like pancakes but made with cornmeal, ??????? fill me in gypsy.

4Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:47 pm

gypsy

gypsy
potato cakes made out of left over mashed potatoes. fried corn bread is what we always called what some called johnny cakes.

5Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:55 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep and i remember in the mash potato cakes she also put flower along with the onions, i guess to hold them together, i may have made them 35 years ago or so, i cant remember, but i think i did, thanks,

6Spotted Dick Empty BUBBLE AND SQUEEK Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Fried left over Potato and Veg.....
are ye talking about "Bubble and Squeek"

7Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Candy Cottingham wrote:Fried left over Potato and Veg.....
are ye talking about "Bubble and Squeek"

well u did not specify what kind of potato's , like whole bake potatoes cut up and fried, i was talking about and perhaps u were also u just did not say, was mash or some ppl call them whipped potatoes, left overs, or u could use mash potatoes u just made, put some flour and finely chopped up onions in them and pat them out into like a pancake and fry in a skillet, just as u would a pancake, just enough flour to hold it together where it would not break apart, that amount of flour would have to be learned . i imagine somewhere there is a recipe for it, but i know there is a language difference between britain and america , so im not sure what "bubble and squeek" are. i did not mention vegetables, im sure there would be some kind of vegetables u could cut up and put in, but i never have had that, only onions, and u would not have to have onions, but my mom put them in, cut up finely,,,

8Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Well you can make bean cakes, corn cakes(fritters) I make mine with 2cups mashed taters seasoned with salt/pepper, of course a bit of cayenne, to taste one egg enough self rising flour to make it hold together, and I add a teaspoon of mustard ,mix well ,drop in to hot 1/4cup of oil just enough to cover skillet.flatten a bit with spoon, if you moisten the spoon in a cup of water each time you dip for potato mixture it won't stick to spoon, fry until golden and then flip and fry the other side~ serve with a dollop of sour cream

9Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:Well you can make bean cakes, corn cakes(fritters) I make mine with 2cups mashed taters seasoned with salt/pepper, of course a bit of cayenne, to taste one egg enough self rising flour to make it hold together, and I add a teaspoon of mustard ,mix well ,drop in to hot 1/4cup of oil just enough to cover skillet.flatten a bit with spoon, if you moisten the spoon in a cup of water each time you dip for potato mixture it won't stick to spoon, fry until golden and then flip and fry the other side~ serve with a dollop of sour cream

ok that sounds good, i know my mom did not use mustard but im sure she did us an egg, its been so long i just forgot to say that, and she did not use cayenne i doubt she even kept that when we were young but did when we were older, thanks, i was just trying to remember,,thats a good tip on the wet spoon,as a kid i know we did not use sour cream hardly, but it sounds good, take care

10Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well i worked till late in the yard, the game was on and i had to shower and did not want to drive to get a subway or order a pizza, so i did not have smoke sausage, but had a can of walmart brand luncheon meat, which is like spam so i cut the meat up, in 1/4 inches thick and about an inch the other way, and fryed it brown and then added a bit over 3 cups water to the meat, after it was good and brown then added the bag of red beans and seasoning of mahatma red beans and rice, to the frying pan and u get it to a boil then let it simmer covered for 15 minute or until u like how it looks, and the beans are cooked good, and not hard as they are dryed beans, anyway, i ate it all and it was a big skillet full, i was to tired to cook corn bread so i had saltines cracker with it,

11Spotted Dick Empty Roly Poly Pudding Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 am

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
Pork Luncheon meat not for me.....some ROLY POLY pudding maybe.

12Spotted Dick Empty Re: Spotted Dick Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Candy Cottingham wrote:Pork Luncheon meat not for me.....some ROLY POLY pudding maybe.

i try to keep a can ,when i need it, i like it because being canned it will last till i need it, i also buy frozen box of corn dogs and keep them,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum