You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Animals Empty Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:54 am

The PETA folks are upset that orcas and dolphins are "slaves" for commercial interests. A well fed, healthy, and possibly enjoyable employment by the flloating mammals. But slavery, nevertheless.

With very few exceptions, people should not be allowed to purchase "pets" unless a compelling need can be demonstrated. The profound failure of society to avoid treating "pets" as disposable toys for over 60 years now,has stripped us of the responsibility of managing animal population. Is the reality of over populating and extermination more desirable than vigorous and even aggressive animal neuterization? Apathy or a frightening duty?

2Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
PETA always has their nose stuck in something. That group is a joke to me . If anything the orcas and others are in an idea setting, medical attention, regular feeding and learning human interaction.

3Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:11 am

SSC wrote:PETA always has their nose stuck in something. That group is a joke to me . If anything the orcas and others are in an idea setting, medical attention, regular feeding and learning human interaction.
I was so obscure in my message, I was misunderstood. I don't wanna go metaphysical on ya,but I think animals are cognizant beings. I'm not talking about lizards,chickens,and mice. I'm talking about cats, dogs, pigs, and similar animals. We see over and over again that these animals will sniff the air,discern a molecule or two belonging to their missing owner(s) and follow that tenuous trail for hundreds of miles in a quest to find them. It does happen.We learn that they are usually offered food and shelter by people on the way,yet they continue onwards. Why? Simple loyalty. They are not following the scent trail of an insect in front of them; they are pursuing an imperative: FIND MY FRIEND!

We are not their friends. We,as individuals and families, may coddle,pet, and love our pet(s). We shop for living things. We support an industry that "grows" and "harvests" crops of animals. Most (yes MOST!) of these puppy mills and cat boutiques do not breed according to accepted standards but interbreed consistently. The ones who are so affected by dominant regressive traits are left to be rejected by the bitch and then they starve to death. Many with inbred behavioral quirks and maladies who survive are sold anyway and then discarded or worse, abused.

Otherwise caring "pet owners" for unfathomable reasons,refuse to spay or neuter their pets. The result is millions of cats and dogs;animals that receive our warmest concerns, die in the millions through starvation, exposure, road accidents, and euthenasia.

My question is this:

Is it "humane" to promote the production of millions of these "pets" fully aware that 90% will die for no reason? Insist on mandatory spay-neutering and if you can,support your local ASPCA. If you can,volunteer an hour or two at a facility. If you can, renounce pet ownership.In a perfect world,these animals will be few and will be employed at a useful activity.Riding in mommy's lap while she drives to the hairdresser is a pointless absurdity that demeans the driver and the dog.

4Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 am

Candy Cottingham

Candy Cottingham
Veteran
My question is this:

Is it "humane" to promote the production of millions of these "pets" fully aware that 90% will die for no reason? Insist on mandatory spay-neutering and if you can,support your local ASPCA. If you can,volunteer an hour or two at a facility. If you can, renounce pet ownership.In a perfect world,these animals will be few and will be employed at a useful activity.Riding in mommy's lap while she drives to the hairdresser is a pointless absurdity that demeans the driver and the dog.

If you are living alone a pet can be a good friend to talk to.

My Mother always had the toy poodle sitting on her lap, much to the chagrin (annoyance) of Brian.
Who does not like dogs. WHY!!! I have no idea. He was always cudlling and kissing the cat.

None of my cats died for no reason...(Old Age)

Some animals are Domesticated ....mandatory spay-neutering is to be encouraged although a minorty of people think it is unatural.

In the old days a CAT was assumed to keep the mice away by their presence.

I found my Cat playing with a baby mouse in the garden and then he let it go.

There are fewer cats in the neighbourhood now....maybe it is because the Vets Fees are very high.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/allcreativefriends/

5Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Candy Cottingham wrote:My question is this:

If you are living alone a pet can be a good friend to talk to.

My Mother always had the toy poodle sitting on her lap, much to the chagrin (annoyance) of Brian.
Who does not like dogs. WHY!!! I have no idea. He was always cudlling and kissing the cat.

None of my cats died for no reason...(Old Age)

Some animals are Domesticated ....mandatory spay-neutering is to be encouraged although a minorty of people think it is unatural.

In the old days a CAT was assumed to keep the mice away by their presence.

I found my Cat playing with a baby mouse in the garden and then he let it go.

There are fewer cats in the neighbourhood now....maybe it is because the Vets Fees are very high.

I'll stop the wool gathering and get to the point. I think a society that mass produces and allows the unbridled uncontrolled proliferation of so many millions of cats and dogs simply for the ego satifying experience of finding "my puppy" or "my kitty" supports a tragedy. By doing so,they condemn millions more to a lonely and miserable death. My mom worked as an animal cruelty investigator (with a deputiy's badge and sidearm) and I accompanied her on many calls. In her first days, dogs and cats were sealed in a box and a flexible tube was connected to a deisel generator. They killed about 50 animals this way twice a week. Now they are given shots straight to the heart; about 200 per week. I guess I just can't reconcile this horror with traditional pet ownership. We are doing something wrong. We must find a way to satisfy our need for such wonderful companions in a way that doesn't require the extermination of so many not chosen. What about dog/cat food that includes a birth control ingrediant?

6Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:I'll stop the wool gathering and get to the point. I think a society that mass produces and allows the unbridled uncontrolled proliferation of so many millions of cats and dogs simply for the ego satifying experience of finding "my puppy" or "my kitty" supports a tragedy. By doing so,they condemn millions more to a lonely and miserable death. My mom worked as an animal cruelty investigator (with a deputiy's badge and sidearm) and I accompanied her on many calls. In her first days, dogs and cats were sealed in a box and a flexible tube was connected to a deisel generator. They killed about 50 animals this way twice a week. Now they are given shots straight to the heart; about 200 per week. I guess I just can't reconcile this horror with traditional pet ownership. We are doing something wrong. We must find a way to satisfy our need for such wonderful companions in a way that doesn't require the extermination of so many not chosen. What about dog/cat food that includes a birth control ingrediant?
I couldn't agree more.

In the 80's I was a member of the SPCA. I bought a dog from the SPCA once. They came to a grocery store chain here in FL called "Publix" and brought with them dogs and cats that were up for adoption. I got my dog from the SPCA. Shes gone now though.

7Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:04 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:The PETA folks are upset that orcas and dolphins are "slaves" for commercial interests. A well fed, healthy, and possibly enjoyable employment by the flloating mammals. But slavery, nevertheless.
As far as whales and dolphins go, I think they have it made at these commerical establishments, like "Sea World" for example. They are well taken care of. In fact I think they are luckier than the ones roaming free in the ocean. BUT, its very possible and probable they would prefer the ocean. But once they are trained and fed and lived in a controlled environment for many years its difficult to bring them back into the wild oceans. Some won't survive. They won't be accepted by other families of whales and dolphins. They swim together as a family pack. If they aren't in the family the family rarely accepts them. But it has happened. Alsp when some whales and dolphins are released back into to ocean wild they find there family's again. They try to release them close to where they found them so they stand a better chance of regrouping with there family.

Now I'm not saying all whales and dolphins swim in families some may be loners because of what breed of whale or dolphin they are. Or they only swim with the family at certain times of the year. But some stay together for there entire lives is my understanding.

8Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:20 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have no use for the SPCA-ASPCA or PETA ...any time you see an organization on TV begging for money you can bet YOUR donation is paying a salary or for the commercial, not going to a dog or cat in need. I agree something needs to be done , my neighbor has his answer he just poisons anything that walks in his yard. I have 2 dogs a cat and 4 kittens. When old enough the kittens are going to a horse barn to help control mice. Works for me . The dogs are inside and extremely good watch dogs. Living in a fairly remote area like I do I like the fact they bark at anything that moves in my yard. The foo-foo dogs to me are useless, pampering a pet with hair cuts groomer visits etc. is a waste of good money to me . Being a responsible pet owner is no different than being a parent. You have to stay on top of them at all times, which is more than most people are willing to do.

9Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:43 pm

SSC wrote:I have no use for the SPCA-ASPCA or PETA ...any time you see an organization on TV begging for money you can bet YOUR donation is paying a salary or for the commercial, not going to a dog or cat in need. I agree something needs to be done , my neighbor has his answer he just poisons anything that walks in his yard. I have 2 dogs a cat and 4 kittens. When old enough the kittens are going to a horse barn to help control mice. Works for me . The dogs are inside and extremely good watch dogs. Living in a fairly remote area like I do I like the fact they bark at anything that moves in my yard. The foo-foo dogs to me are useless, pampering a pet with hair cuts groomer visits etc. is a waste of good money to me . Being a responsible pet owner is no different than being a parent. You have to stay on top of them at all times, which is more than most people are willing to do.
There is no doubt in my mind that the ASPCA delivers a needed service and therefore their employees should be paid. But my main complaint is against puppy mills that interbreed dogs as fast as the bitch can be impregnated. The customer sees a beautuful boxer but gets a high-strung animal that will not stop jumping fences, digging, and fighting. The dog winds up at the ASPCA. The problem is manifest long before the pound gets the dog. I really see no concern here and I understand. The horible results are rarely seen and I would be happier if I had never seen the mass euthenasian of thousands of dogs and cats.

10Animals Empty Re: Animals Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I am totally against puppy mills, the majority are so crooked you are lucky to get a dog that isn't so inbred it doesn't have 6 legs and 4 ears. They are notorious for switching papers especially if a puppy dies and has the same color makings as a less well bred one.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum