You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:04 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have never heard of a pollard willow,but they do resemble ours a great deal.

27Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:08 am

gypsy

gypsy
Mays did the people there ever use willow sticks to find waterfor a well and such? devining sticks , they were called

28Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:22 am

gypsy wrote:Mays did the people there ever use willow sticks to find waterfor a well and such? devining sticks , they were called
From the willow sticks or branches they made hoops (not hoola hoops, lol).
They were placed around barrels.
My great grand father was a hoopmaker; maybe posting pics about hoop making can make things more clear-I will try to find them, when I can.
I never heard of using them as devining sticks - if they did, it was before we were christianised in about 800 AD.

29Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:52 am

SSC wrote:Mays very nice pics, I see trees that resemble what we call a weeping willow, the ones with the long over hanging limbs still green . The pics resemble our bayou country with houses built on the waters edge.
It indeed resembles your bayou country.
Before the dykes were built in the 11th/12th century the land must have resembled it even more.
I lived north of the Merwede river (a branch of the river Rhine) but south of it there is an area, called the Biesbosch, which we have given back to nature and the beavers are enjoying themselves there again, like in old times.
If I can find some decent pics of the area, I will post them too and I m sure you will feel "at home" when you see them
addition:
here are some pics of the Biesbosch:
http://members.home.nl/wjmvdven/Biesbosch%20pagina.htm
and
http://members.home.nl/wjmvdven/Beverpagina.htm

30Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:09 am

gypsy wrote:mays at first i thought the white image next to houses was snow, but i figured it was the sidewalk.. it looks like early spring in the pics? is it?
On the right of the pages below it shows, when the pics were taken:
march the 30th 2007.

31Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 pm

gypsy wrote:Mays that is beautiful, glad u figured out how to get them on here~ did u enjoy fishing as a child and now as an adult? i do, but don't go as often as i would like~
I never go fishing any more.
From a certain time I had the idea I had to quit damaging fishes lips for no reason at all, for I never eat fish.
The fish we caught, when I was young, we usually sold to Belgian fishermen, who were less lucky than were and they bought our fish, so they could brag to their spouses about how many fish they had caught :-)
The fish we sold was usually "brasem" - I dont know the English name for brasem, but it looks like a carp, but smaller.
-
Oh, and last sunday, when we visited my mom, we made a pic again of our favorite willow.
I have 5 pics of it now, made in subsequent years. I will e-mail them to you, as I sent them to Figi too.
I have no idea how to post them here. It seems I have to use photo bucket, but I have never worked with that.

32Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:22 pm

gypsy

gypsy
thanks Mays, I will go have a look, don't know what kind of fish those were maybe bream? well I like fish, so what we catch we eat,mostly catfish, bass,crappie,our big pond needs restocked..

33Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm

gypsy wrote:thanks Mays, I will go have a look, don't know what kind of fish those were maybe bream? well I like fish, so what we catch we eat,mostly catfish, bass,crappie,our big pond needs restocked..
LOL, I asked my son, for his English is better than mine and he confirmed it is indeed bream.

34Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:38 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Mays Gilliam wrote:I have no idea how to post them here. It seems I have to use photo bucket, but I have never worked with that.

To post a picture Mays, you upload the picture first to a picture host like photobucket.com, and when you do there will be boxes with the URL and codes in them that do various things, one of which is for posting on forums. The box that say "HTML code" and the other box that says "IMG code" will work here, and they both are Image codes for posting on websites and forums. You take one of those two codes in the boxes and paste it into your message here.

Photobucket is free and it only takes a few minutes to register. When you join it will take you to your personal page where you can upload as many pictures as you want.

http://photobucket.com/

35Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:56 pm

meandering Giessen

this is the meandering Giessen, where we used to go fishing.
It seems to wo work, Tyler - many thanks

36Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:08 pm

young Rowdy Yates
I m playing young Rowdy Yates in Rawhide here, I guess
And for Figi : the young cow is called a "pink" here, as I mentioned in the chatbox

37Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:32 pm

gypsy

gypsy
hehe what a cute pic~

loved the ones u send email, what are those trees that are topped, look kind of like a tall stump?

38Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Moose

Moose
When I was a Wee Lad all the kids that lived in our neighborhood played "Grave Yard Hide-and-Seek". I played a wicked game too. The kids thought that the Blind Bat didn't stand a chance of finding them. I could hear them breathing and would sneak up on them and scare the living shit out of them.

http://mooses-site.tripod.com/

39Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:50 pm

gypsy

gypsy
hahah oh I bet it did~ when the seeker got close to where i was hiding, they probably heard my heart beating~ from excitiment~ I know i heard it~ lol!

40Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:53 pm

gypsy

gypsy
summer days, this morning reminded me, when grandma, aunts, and mom would get together at grandmas house and can garden produce, i made some pickled okra today and hot peppers~
a bit emotionl for me` but what fun memories,all the cousins playing and of course called on to help at times~ i learned a lot by watching..

Last edited by gypsy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

41Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:54 pm

gypsy wrote:hehe what a cute pic~

loved the ones u send email, what are those trees that are topped, look kind of like a tall stump?
It s the same willow in different years
willow 2007
willow 2008
the first pic is in 2007, the second one in 2008

42Summer nights when i was a kid - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer nights when i was a kid Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:01 pm

gypsy

gypsy
a very beautiful place~looks very pristine and well kept.. nice pic of u too Mays..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum