You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
MY WORDS : as i have said it has helped me, we kept making products and put then in stock , in august over half of what was in stock sold and now is gone, so i think august was a good month, but the main thing is the future railroad projects that is because of the stimulus as i have posted on the cresent corridor,

Biden: Stimulus plan is working faster than hoped

Sep 3, 10:57 AM (ET)

By BEN FELLER
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090903/D9AFTIG80.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defending a costly plan to revitalize the economy, Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday said the government's sweeping stimulus effort "is in fact working" despite steady Republican criticism and public skepticism.

"The recovery act has played a significant role in changing the trajectory of our economy, and changing the conversation in this country," Biden said. "Instead of talking about the beginning of a depression, we are talking about the end of a recession."

Nearly 200 days into the effort, Biden delivered an upbeat report card about the $787 billion rescue effort that President Barack Obama pushed through Congress. He quoted estimates by private analysts that the plan has created or saved 500,000 to 750,000 jobs so far. But many million people remain out of work.

The effectiveness of the two-year program is a matter of sharp political debate, and Biden sought to counter critics with a listing of tangible results.

(AP) Vice President Joe Biden speaks about the economy and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act,...

"One of the criticisms is that it is simply a grab bag of different programs," Biden said in a speech at The Brookings Institution. "But the fact that the recovery act is multifaceted doesn't reflect a lack of design, it is the design."

The stimulus package is a mix of tax cuts, increased spending on Medicaid and huge investments in infrastructure, education, energy projects and more.

The White House is eager to promote signs of progress as the economy lumbers out of recession. Many economists warn that the unemployment rate will keep rising until at least next summer, and it is that measure - the loss or creation of jobs - by which many Americans decide whether economic life is getting better.

Obama's Council of Economic Advisers on Sept. 10 will report an updated projection of the number of jobs created or saved because of the stimulus plan. Biden said he expected it will back up his predictions of 150,000 jobs in the first 100 days and another 600,000 formed or saved over the second 100 days of the act.

Biden warned that the recovery will be uneven. But he said so far, the law is "doing more, faster, more efficiently, and more effectively than most expected."

The White House, though, has also admitted that its initial economic forecasts to sell the stimulus were too rosy. Many Republican leaders say the stimulus is not working nearly as well as the White House promotes, and at huge cost of debt to the nation.

With Obama on vacation at the Camp David presidential retreat in Maryland, the White House hopes Biden's message will break through.

A Gallup poll last month found 51 percent of Americans wished the government would have spent less to stimulate the economy. The same poll found 41 percent thought the stimulus package was helping the economy in the short term; 33 percent saw no effect, and 24 said it was making the economy worse.

The vice president's appearance is part of a concerted White House push in advance of the 200th day of the stimulus act on Saturday. Five top administration officials plan to speak about the law's benefits on Thursday in appearances in Arkansas, Virginia, Illinois, California and Minnesota.

Public approval of Obama's performance and of his handling of the economy have slipped. Polls now put both figures slightly above 50 percent.

That was yesterday's Biden propaganda. Here's today's fact: The employment rate has jumped to 9.7%. I am very happy that you see improvement in your area's employment picture,but there are millions of unemployed Americans who do not share it. As I keep saying and as the facts show: The "stimulus plan" has stimulated nothing. It was not intended to. It was meant to build a slush fund for Democratic pet projects that have nothing to do with building our industrial strength. As I and many others have said, sooner or later,this dismal reality will become more and more apparant. I am afraid,my dear friend,you have been had if you believe your bright prospects are being shared by more than just a few workers.Forgive me if this is an offensive message, I sincerely wish you the very best.

gypsy

gypsy
I agree Rosco, here in our small community i see many things improving, new bussiness going up.I still think we have a long way to go, though

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:I agree Rosco, here in our small community i see many things improving, new bussiness going up.I still think we have a long way to go, though

it was not ment to happen over nite,

"it was not meant to happen over nite". /// Oh yes it was. Obama stressed the absolute urgency of passing a stimulus bill in order to prevent the unemployment rate from exceeding 8%. I am a great believer in this man's intelligence and don't think for one second he could have miscalculated so egregiously. In any scenario,he either was totally wrong about so many millions being out of work, or he deliberately misled the American public. The fact remains: The money has been taken from the public, has not been spent for stimulative purposes, and THEY WILL NEVER GIVE IT BACK. Biden can be forgiven for saying stupid things. Obama cannot.

gypsy

gypsy
rosco 357 wrote:
gypsy wrote:I agree Rosco, here in our small community i see many things improving, new bussiness going up.I still think we have a long way to go, though

it was not ment to happen over nite,
yes I know,I do agree..

SSC

SSC
Admin
Unemployment is at a 26 year high in Aug. Where are the jobs ?? States reducing state employees work hours . I would love to see something be stimulated but so far not much show just alot of circle talk.
Rosco I am glad things look good for you.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
all i ment by it was not ment to happen over nite is i think as i have no facts but only memory so take it as such, the money was not just dumped out but was go be let out over like a acouple of years or so,and programs kick in over that time frame, but again memory only, i dont have a problem with not making unemployment goals,its tough to predict that, im the only one here that works so the unemployment here is what 80 percent ,, Lmao

SSC

SSC
Admin
Yeahhhh Obama's other snafus squeezed my boss out and left 300 people unemployed in an area barely keeping its nose above water.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i know how to get everyone covered. lol, my daughter worked for a dr that was in a hospital professional building . a big one here all the drs which is 6 floors of them belong to a blue cross group, and the dr paid my daughters whole family insurance blue cross bill that was part of her deal,, well someone else offered her a job and right up front she told him if she comes to work for him he would have to pay 100 percent of a blue cross whole family plan policy. he said no problem. so she left the dr. when i check a job, the first thing besides money is tell me about ur healthcare, i turned down a job a year and a half ago i was contacted about because the insurance the company had did not pay enough to satisfy me . plus they did not have long term and short term disablity insurance like if u have an operation or a long term illness , that for me is free, and my dental insurance is 1 dollar a week. any company that does not have good healthcare insurance at a cheep rate for my part will just have to hire someone else, i have no use for them...take care.

gypsy

gypsy
wow, I can't believe I am so agreeable , good post.
I think every employer should provide a good insurance/health policy for there employees/including dental care an eye care, to me if they own/ run a business the people that work for them should be number one in their book. a lot of employers just don't care, they want to be able to get off as cheap as possible

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep that reminds me we have eye care, free once every 2 years i think , but everywhere i worked had a separate eye care rider, so anyway, its been a while so i need to make an appointment, i could have paid a bit more for my part for my blue cross which as i have said is 14 bucks a week for the whole healthcare policy,, and i could have got a new pair of eye glasses covered i think one pair a year, , but i have lots of them, where i use to work i got one free pair a year, one year i would get clear glasses and the next year i would get tinted glasses, the dr told me once i reached a certain age my eyes would slow down in there changing, and it seems they have anyway my glasses are fine, i have like 6 pairs, but i need a eye care physical, for u know glaucoma and such.,

gypsy

gypsy
I just got new glasses after my eye surgery.. Wow they are expensive,O f course i want those that look good cheers thank goodness we have good insurance for eye care Mine change when i get outside, they become dark.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum