You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
House Democrats Reject Obama's Tax Cut Deal
1 hour ago

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/12/09/house-democrats-defy-obama-vote-in-caucus-to-kill-tax-cut-deal/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C189005

Still furious over the compromise that President Obama struck with Senate Republicans on the expiring Bush tax cuts, House Democrats voted Thursday not to take up the negotiated package and instead work to find a measure that they could support.

Although it was a nonbinding voice vote cast in a closed Democratic caucus meeting, it was nonetheless designed to send a message to the president that House Democrats remain unhappy with the concessions he made in his efforts to avoid the expiration of the Bush-era tax cuts at the end of the year.

Related Stories
Obama Cuts Deal to Extend All Bush Tax Cuts, Renew Jobless Benefits
Americans Want the Bush Tax Cuts Extended, but Differ on Income Limits
"Democrats think the White House mismanaged this thing and gave away too much," said a senior Democratic aide familiar with the vote.

The caucus met Thursday morning away from the House floor to discuss its options in the face of a package that many Democrats are still against. Although many had hoped to modify the proposal before a House vote, Vice President Biden met with Democrats Wednesday to tell them that the deal that had been struck with Republican leaders would not be changed.

But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that she and her caucus are still working to modify the deal and indicated that no vote has been scheduled. "We will continue discussions with the President and our Democratic and Republican colleagues in the days ahead to improve the proposal before it comes to the House floor for a vote," she said after the caucus meeting.

Across the Capitol, the Senate planned to begin debating the tax issue Thursday afternoon and could schedule votes as early as Saturday.

The tentative agreement that Obama announced Monday night would extend for two years the Bush tax cuts for all earners, while also continuing current tax rates on dividends and capital gains. In addition, the estate tax, which expired in 2009, would be temporarily set at 35 percent with a $5 million exemption, and extended unemployment benefits would continue for 13 months. Obama also said negotiators agreed to a one-year, 2-percentage point cut in the payroll tax for all workers.

Of all of the details in the package, the most galling to liberals seemed to be the compromise to extend the tax cuts for the highest earners, which many Democrats fought when the tax relief passed Congress in 2001 and 2003. They have railed against those reductions ever since. Democrats had also wanted to make permanent the tax cuts for middle- and lower-income workers. That was not included in the deal.

After the vote, Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) spoke to reporters and explained the thinking. "This message today is very simple: That in the form that it was negotiated, it is not acceptable to the House Democratic caucus. It's as simple as that," he said.

In another sign of unrest Thursday morning, Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.) announced that he had secured 53 signatures on a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urging her not to bring the compromise up for a vote.

In the letter sent to Speaker Pelosi, Welch and his colleagues called the proposal "fiscally irresponsible" and "grossly unfair."

"America is wading into fiscal quicksand. Borrowing nearly a trillion dollars to finance tax cuts that disproportionately favor millionaires and billionaires threatens our ability to create jobs, grow the middle class and protect seniors," Welch said. "Digging the country deeper into debt to pay for misguided tax policy is irresponsible and simply doesn't make sense."

gypsy

gypsy
I love it! that is what he wanted//now what do the repus do??

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i think u miss understand, the dems are ticked at obama, he is falling into line with the republicans, giving the rich a 24 month extension on lower taxes, for only a 13 month extension for sui benefits. i watched msnbc and alot of dems are really ticked at obama. they call what obama is doing the billionaire blessing. but it seems the dems in the senate and house are fighting obama.. obama has blown many things, i am disapointed in him and so are many in congress..

gypsy

gypsy
I think he knew the dems would reject it! that was his plan maybe? I don't know but i am glad they rejected it~ if he would have let them expire the pugs would still blame him . the problem is the pugs~always has been~

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
its not rejected yet, i guess u saw obama ,, had a press conference with bill clinton, to support the presidents and republicans plan, will just have to see how it goes, i disagree he thought they would reject it, he lost the center vote in the midterms, now he has the liberals ticked, he is in his last 2 years, the next election a republican will win.. write it on the wall,

gypsy

gypsy
what repug?, none meet approval as i saw on msnbc last night there isn't anyone of the republicans that may be thinking of running, that i would vote for~ not one~I think old mconnell is on his last leg to,I am sick of the complete bunch of them..we shall see if a republican wins president won't we? LOL

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well thats what i would say," we will see", i agree the republicans need a younger fresh face, i think in 2 years they will find one. me being single, puts me in a tax bracket that keeping the taxes low may be my best option, i really dont know, i think the lower tax will stay as it is, with maybe a few tweaks, but not many,, the lower taxes as clinton and bernake said would help the economy stay away from a double dip recession, but at the same time adds to the deficit some say . but clinton is for what the republicans and obama came up with, he may swing enough votes that it will pass, but whatever, like u said just wait and see, maybe its where i live but ppl here are sick of obama. but enough , we dont have enough info to really discuss it, we will know soon enough, something will probabaly pass this congress and its coming to an end, so about all we can do is sit tight and watch. take care..im done , will watch ,

gypsy

gypsy
Well Rosco people there in Bama never liked Obama anyway, so what is new?

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep thats correct, and most all the southern states did not either, not sure about florida since they have alot of ppl there moved from the north when they retire, so florida is a tad different, but i cant remember who carried florida, in the prez election, but the rest of the south went with macain, or almost all of it, did not kentucky go macain ?? i forgot,

gypsy

gypsy
Why don't they like him? because he is Black?have you ever ask them?or because he is an intelligent black man?
I didn't go mccain can't stand the man,but your right, stupids in Ky
voted mccain can you imagine if he won~ God forbid/ especially with palin

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
ppl here are conservative,as ur state seems to be,, bama would never carry a liberal democrat,but im done with the subject, we will see , wait and watch,i dont have anyone to talk to about it. we cant talk anything about race at work. its against the rules. but none of my family likes him and that statement is mild. they accuse me of voting for him but i did not.. they dont have any faith in him that he can help but only hurt the economy, they were against the healthcare, and against bail outs, as it raised the debt.my kids and my sisters kids like rush Limbaugh and glen beck, i dont, but again im done on the subject, just see how it goes, i will not answer again on this, take care

gypsy

gypsy
Conservative /they aren't!! definitely mixed up/another pug lie,check it out

no one will ever forbid me discussing ,or telling the truth// maybe someone needs to grow Balls// as you have witnessed over the last forty year, or more/Repugs have not helped you, or the American people//check it out//it is easy to get the info~
why are we in this mess?America was the leader,our leader bush and deregulation brought us all down we do control it when America gores down so do other countries!! EXCEPT CHINA!!

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:Conservative /they aren't!! definitely mixed up/another pug lie,check it out

no one will ever forbid me discussing ,or telling the truth// maybe someone needs to grow Balls// as you have witnessed over the last forty year, or more/Repugs have not helped you, or the American people//check it out//it is easy to get the info~
why are we in this mess?America was the leader,our leader bush and deregulation brought us all down we do control it when America gores down so do other countries!! EXCEPT CHINA!!

dont tell me this, before ur state gets behind your view , which i think it never will.. and everyone thinks their view is the truth. first work in ur part of the country, , things will change when the new congress comes in. in january i think,,,im not arguing, just being realistic on how things will go, NOW im done, lol

gypsy

gypsy
My state is getting th!!
unless we fight to get good for our states,

AND AMERICA!/ We must fight
!!
passive,is not good//u as an individual have to believe,fight for us all,your state/my state the attitude you have will not win in the long run//that is what we fight for/same old same old , is not doing it/for your state or mine..
we have to get rid of the same old/your comfortable with your same old/?
you can't be because all states are hurting,,I hurt for you/you hurt for me.until things improve that is how it is..U southern states need to wake up,what you have as representatives/senators is not working/just because you have a job/doesn't mean,YOUR STATE IS PROSPERING~ IN FACT IT ISN'T

not many states are prospering.. when you settle for mediocre.then you give up?

we have to fight For us!! WE THE PEOPLE!! I will never concede to the Repugs//sorry

had to respond//I am a fighter after all!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum