You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Chicken Fried Steak Question? Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm

fastdrummer

fastdrummer
Does anyone have a good simple recipe? I'd like to try and make it. Thanks!

2Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 pm

gypsy

gypsy
here is my recipe> Fast
Round steak ,about 2 lbs.have the butcher tenderize it for you
cut in serving pieces
marinade it in butter milk for about 30 minutes

put self rising flour
salt
pepper
cayenne
garlic powder
in with flour
this to your taste
shake this up
in a zip lock bag
add one piece of steak at a time shake
off access flour
in a cast iron skillet
have about 1/2cup of vegetable hot oil
put steaks in skillet/don't over crowd
brown
untill golden brown/both sides
and not pink is seen

remove and drain on wire rack
meanwhile,drain a bit of the oil off

add about 2 tablespoons of flour
to oil on medium heat
stir until slightly brown
add seasonings to your taste

slowly add milk until u
have the consistency you like

plate your steak
add gravy on top
enjoy with mashed potatoes/green beans on the side//

3Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:55 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
How about a simpler recipe. Something easy and basic. :) Fastdrummer is going to try it, but he needs a real simple way to do it, not a whole lot of ingredients. :) thanks

4Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
after reading gypsy recipe, thats about as basic as it gets, meat , flour , with spices or atleast salt and pepper, fryed. then i make gravy out of the grease that is left in the skillet, its really the same as cooking cube steak, , coat with spiced flour, and fry, then make gravy, i like homemade gravy, thicken the grease u have left with some flour,just enough to soak up the grease .and pour in water or a bit of milk and water and get it a bit thin but let the water cook out till u have the gravy the thickness u like, and it has bits of the crust in the gravy from the skillet. i wish i had more time to cook ,, i use to cook alot. but not now, take care , now im hungry, lol

5Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:58 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
I was always good at a gravy.. ,mainly 2 ways, unless alot of grease left in skillet, put in enough flour by the spoon and stir till u dont see floating grease, then brown it a bit, stiring it. then pour in the water or water milk, mixture,till its past thick and a tad thin and cook down till its thick as u want,

the other is if u cook something with alot of liquid left say meat juice in a pot or whatever put flour in water in a bowl or cup and mix it till no lumps and pour it in the liquid till the liquid is thickened to ur liking,

6Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 am

gypsy

gypsy
I usually use corn starch. then I am guaranteed no lumps especially in a beef/pork roast broth

7Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
my favorite home cook meal, crusty fryed cube steak, fresh cut off the cob silver queen fryed cream corn, fryed out of the garden okra, and fryed yellow squash with some onions cooked in the with it, and hot brown and serve rolls, OH and fryed green tomatoes

this is for GYPSY. my sister buys silver queen frozen corn kernels in the plastic bag,, and how ever much she is cooking she puts half in blender and cuts up good, but leaves have whole kernels then cooks that just like fresh off the cob corn, its really good, she does not have a garden like u do, and it really good and easy and real close to the original, take care hope u see this, ok i will stop now, lol

8Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 am

fastdrummer

fastdrummer
Thanks folks! I'm going to give it a whirl. Wish me luck! :)

9Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm

gypsy

gypsy
rosco 357 wrote:my favorite home cook meal, crusty fryed cube steak, fresh cut off the cob silver queen fryed cream corn, fryed out of the garden okra, and fryed yellow squash with some onions cooked in the with it, and hot brown and serve rolls, OH and fryed green tomatoes

this is for GYPSY. my sister buys silver queen frozen corn kernels in the plastic bag,, and how ever much she is cooking she puts half in blender and cuts up good, but leaves have whole kernels then cooks that just like fresh off the cob corn, its really good, she does not have a garden like u do, and it really good and easy and real close to the original, take care hope u see this, ok i will stop now, lol
hey don't stop, Rosco I love reading this~
I kind of do the same thing .I also buy thewshite frozen corn and add a frozen shoepeg creme corn in, an a bit of butter, it tastes like we just picked and shucked the corn~

10Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 pm

gypsy

gypsy
fastdrummer wrote:Thanks folks! I'm going to give it a whirl. Wish me luck! :)

good luck! Fast.
it is not a hard recipe, tell me how you liked it.after you cook and eat it:)

11Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:I usually use corn starch. then I am guaranteed no lumps especially in a beef/pork roast broth

yep i know lumps, i pour it through a strainer, to catch the lumps, my mom never use corn starch , i dont know why, but i have use it, when fryed corn was not thick enough i poured corn starch mixed in water, to thicken it up, assuming the corn has cooked enough, and was ready to eat, silver queen is harder to get thick than field corn but silver queen taste alot better than field corn. thanks take care

12Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
fastdrummer wrote:Does anyone have a good simple recipe? I'd like to try and make it. Thanks!

let us know fast, if u tackle this and how it turned out, one thing, if u have not done it, gravy is really easy once u know how, but if gravy is a problem, buy the package of peppered gravy mix that is where u get all those package things like chili mix, there are others than peppered gravy, there is plain , and sausage, but i think peppered gravy goes better with what u are cooking, but nothing beats real gravy be it made from bacon or porkchops, once u have done it, the second time is easy, just put in the grease enough flower to soak up all the grease, if u see grease still floating add more flower a spoon at a time, but be sure and on low to med heat cook the flower by browning it to a light to med brown color, then add the milk or water, or a mix of both, i usually just use water, i dont keep milk, when adding it stir it while u add the water, let us know take care,

13Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:08 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Hey rosco, well thanks for the info about the gravy, and Gypsy you too. Fast is going to try it out maybe tomorrow. Your gravy sounds like a good way to make it rosco, thanks for the advice and technique. And Gypsy I guess I didn't read your recipe well enough the first time, rosco was right it sounds like a simple way to do it. Thanks so much to both of you. I think hes going to make it tomorrow. I'll have some too of course. :)

I'll let ya know how it was. Very Happy

14Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:44 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
runawayhorses wrote:Hey rosco, well thanks for the info about the gravy, and Gypsy you too. Fast is going to try it out maybe tomorrow. Your gravy sounds like a good way to make it rosco, thanks for the advice and technique. And Gypsy I guess I didn't read your recipe well enough the first time, rosco was right it sounds like a simple way to do it. Thanks so much to both of you. I think hes going to make it tomorrow. I'll have some too of course. :)

I'll let ya know how it was. Very Happy

the only difference i have with gypsy, is rather than round steak which can be tough, just buy really good cube steak, its already tenderized, sometimes some has grizzle so look for good cube steak, i know gypsy said to have the butcher tenderize it which is pound it with that thing that has points on it, are she may have ment have him run it through a cube steak machine, im not sure, but a good piece of cube steak is tender, but look for grizzle or if a small store ask the butcher, my problem is im usually in walmart, but i dont buy and cook, like i use to, and i miss that.. my sister cooked some really good hamburger steaks and in an elecric skillet, a really expensive skillet, and then made gravy and put them back in for a bit , its really good that way too, but it was from half a cow they bought and the hamburger was reallly good, but u can buy extra lean hamburger or ground chuck , sometimes to me ground round is a bit tough for hamburgers, but u can try hamburger later, now, lol,,i know gypsy knows more about cooking, but i aint bad, i just have never seen it made with round steak, but im sure she knows and has it well tenderized, talk to the butcher, for his advice, take care, ok i will hush buying from a small store would be better.. sorry i know i have overdone this topic, lol

15Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
just remember to much flower makes a thick paste, and then is hard to mix milk or water, but that is a thing to, i think its called a rue, when u put in to much flower.all u want to do is barely soak up the grease just add it slow and always be stirring , one thing to get use to is how much grease u need, thats a learning thing, to little makes less gravy to much makes more gravy, i would say not over 1/8 inch of grease, in the skittle would be the limit, that would make alot of gravy, 1/16 inch or a tad less is ok as long as u have enough.. i cooked for 160 soldiers when i got back from basic training, i was not trained as a cook in basic , it was light weapons i got my training in, 50 caliber machine guns on down to a bayonet, and explosives and mines and all types of weapons, hand grenades , but they needed help in the kitchen back at my guard unit when i got home and i had friends in the kitchen, and was in there 5 years, trust me breaking 30 dozen eggs, at 3am to serve at 5 am was not fun, we did not cook steaks outside, which u cant beat but we had an italian cook" marino" , and he fryed them in italian salad dressing, i mean like new york strips steaks. really good but does not beat grilled out, slap me and i will hush, lol

16Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:31 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
rosco 357 wrote:just remember to much flower makes a thick paste, and then is hard to mix milk or water, but that is a thing to, i think its called a rue, when u put in to much flower.all u want to do is barely soak up the grease just add it slow and always be stirring , one thing to get use to is how much grease u need, thats a learning thing, to little makes less gravy to much makes more gravy, i would say not over 1/8 inch of grease, in the skittle would be the limit, that would make alot of gravy, 1/16 inch or a tad less is ok as long as u have enough.. i cooked for 160 soldiers when i got back from basic training, i was not trained as a cook in basic , it was light weapons i got my training in, 50 caliber machine guns on down to a bayonet, and explosives and mines and all types of weapons, hand grenades , but they needed help in the kitchen back at my guard unit when i got home and i had friends in the kitchen, and was in there 5 years, trust me breaking 30 dozen eggs, at 3am to serve at 5 am was not fun, we did not cook steaks outside, which u cant beat but we had an italian cook" marino" , and he fryed them in italian salad dressing, i mean like new york strips steaks. really good but does not beat grilled out, slap me and i will hush, lol
lol thanks rosco, but hes gonna use store bought gravy this time, the Heinz brand. Maybe next time we'll have your way of the gravy. We always have this topic to refer back to it later.

That's cool you cooked at your guard unit at home. You have some experience then cooking for sure.

You know your weapons too. The way some people cook their meals are a weapon.. lmao

thanks again

17Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:09 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
yep we had a kitchen at out guard unit , but some weekends we went to ft McClellan. and stayed out in the woods, and had a deuce and a half truck , thats one u always see with the canvas over the back a big truck with the diesel stack, like was in rambo first blood, that i think it stands for 2 and half ton truck, but anyway, we had to set up a kitchen out in the woods and cook out there, also, we were not suspose to have this but we had a stove home made out of 2 inch angles with 3 H shaped burners and ran propane, its the propane that we were not suspose to use, the military issue stoves used car gas, go figure, but we did use them some, so yes i was in the kitchen for 5 years i was in 6 total first year i was at ft polk LA. for part of it, it was strickly set up for vietnam training, well i have worn this out, lol ,, actually i think i had rather been in a rifle platoon, we worked hard and had to get up earlier to serve breakfast at 5 am . this may silly but u can just pour some plain vegetable oil in a skittle and get out the flour and practice, same thing, it would not have flavor but same way of making gravy, just to practice ,

18Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 am

fastdrummer

fastdrummer
Well it tasted pretty good anyway lol.. The cube steaks fell apart while taking them out of the buttermilk and they stuck to the pan while trying to flip them over. Some of the coating fell off but all in all not a complete disaster. I'll think I'll leave this meal to the experts and go to a restaurant next time. lol. Thanks everyone.

19Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
coatings falling off is common cooking cube steak, falling apart ment u got a real tender piece of meat it sounds like, i bet it still was good, take care, and thanks this was fun, if u do it again try skipping the buttermilk with cube steak. cook at a bit lower temp, still as i said this was fun,

20Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 am

gypsy

gypsy
Rosco cube steak is round steak run through a tenderizer.. minute steaks are oood they are usually run through tenderizer twice

I always buy ground chuck for hamburers, or steaks but like ground round for chili , soups,casseroles it is a bit meatier..

21Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:29 am

gypsy

gypsy
if the coating fell off u didn't have the oil hot enough, the meat must have been extra tender for it to fall apart in the butter milk, u may have used minute steaks.

22Chicken Fried Steak Question? Empty Re: Chicken Fried Steak Question? Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:42 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:Rosco cube steak is round steak run through a tenderizer.. minute steaks are oood they are usually run through tenderizer twice

I always buy ground chuck for hamburers, or steaks but like ground round for chili , soups,casseroles it is a bit meatier..

yep when i said ground round was a bit tough, i ment it does not make good hamburgers, its a bit dry and tough, it needs a bit of fat in it like u said , ground chuck makes better burgers, i did not understand what u ment by round steak tenderized, rather than calling it cube steak, i though u ment pound it out like u know the square hammer thing with spikes, i was lost as to what u ment , thank for getting me on the same page, some time u do get such good cube steak or labeled cube steak it does come apart. well i guess we wore this out but it was fun,,a lady i worked with as a teenager would buy a good roast and have the butcher coarse grind it for chili , she made the best i have ever had , but she uses alot of real garlic cloves, i saw on tv once, not to cut up the shelled garlic but to on the cutting block lay a large knife sideways on the garlic single clean clove and smash it with ur hand, rather than cut it up, that was the galloping gourmet, u may remember him on tv,,,, i would eat lunch after college and before work and watch his show, lol,, im just rambling, thought u may want to try that , if u dont do it already,oh i worked a few years in a grocery store and in the meat market, so i have seen most all the meat and how its made, the only minute steaks i have seen are the pre packaged ones,so thanks , i have had to scrape the butchers table, they dont clean it they have thing that takes some of the wood off the top to clean the table, i had to do that, and clean the cubers, and gringers, so i am familiar with most of that, we need to take a pole on what cut of steak ppl like best , i have mine in mind, lol,i know i over did the subject sorry, take care

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum