You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Floods engulf archaic levee systems Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm

The news of so many levees overtopping or breaching can come as a shock to residents who felt safe behind their walls.

But experts say it's hardly surprising, especially given the low standards to which most levees are built.

To qualify for the National Flood Insurance Program, structures simply need to be behind a levee built to a so-called 100-year standard, meaning there is a 1 percent chance in any given year that a flood will rise above the levee. In the Netherlands, on the other hand, levees for ocean flooding are built to a 10,000-year standard, and inland levees are designed at least to a 250-year standard and usually in excess of 1,250 years.

"Around the world, the 100-year standard is a joke," says John Barry, author of "Rising Tide," his book about the Mississippi River flood of 1927, and a member of a flood control authority that oversees six levee districts in metropolitan New Orleans. "We invest on the cheap."

Last edited by Mays Gilliam on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I doubt if higher levees really would have made a difference.
The rivers need more room, when there is so much rainfall and no matter how high you build dikes, in the end the river will flood over them anyway if the amount of water grows too much.
We could barely escape from a similar disaster in 1995 and after that the dikes immediately were made some meters higher, but also some land was given back to the water to give it more space, just in case of a future threat,

3Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:52 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Mays, I believe in tha old addage ,that Nature will Claim what is hers in the begining~ what u think?

4Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:57 pm

We realised that there must be some truth in that and that s why we gave up some land.
Sometimes you have to withdraw and give back, what not really belongs to you :-)

5Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:54 pm

gypsy wrote:Mays, I believe in tha old addage ,that Nature will Claim what is hers in the begining~ what u think?

I heard someone on National Geographic say a wise thing:
We have to live WITH nature, not challenge it

6Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:02 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Mays Gilliam wrote:
gypsy wrote:Mays, I believe in tha old addage ,that Nature will Claim what is hers in the begining~ what u think?

I heard someone on National Geographic say a wise thing:
We have to live WITH nature, not challenge it

I agree Mays,we humans get to greedy for control, in every aspect of life~

7Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Natural disasters, Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:44 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i feel for the ppl in the flooded areas, but there will always be flooded rivers, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes,
hundereds of thousands of ppl have been killed in natural disasters in other underdeveloped nations in the past months, and resist help from other nations, so in that respect, i think we do a decent job in the united states, in doing what we can to help ppl. nothing is perfect, but some things are of a magnatude that it take time for waters to recede and then let help flow in, i think we as a nation do more for our ppl hurt in natural disasters than probably anyother county, i see no greed involved , mostly i see volunteers and maybe an over burdened fema doing what it can, like i said nothing is perfect, but if i was involved in a disaster this country is where i would want to be in,,,take care,

8Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 pm

rosco 357 wrote:i feel for the ppl in the flooded areas, but there will always be flooded rivers, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes,
hundereds of thousands of ppl have been killed in natural disasters in other underdeveloped nations in the past months, and resist help from other nations, so in that respect, i think we do a decent job in the united states, in doing what we can to help ppl. nothing is perfect, but some things are of a magnatude that it take time for waters to recede and then let help flow in, i think we as a nation do more for our ppl hurt in natural disasters than probably anyother county, i see no greed involved , mostly i see volunteers and maybe an over burdened fema doing what it can, like i said nothing is perfect, but if i was involved in a disaster this country is where i would want to be in,,,take care,
You wrote: "i think we as a nation do more for our ppl hurt in natural disasters than probably anyother country"
What gives you that idea?
Why do you always think, only you can do a great job?
As if the rest of the world (94,5 per cent of the world population) consists of retarded cave men.

9Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:37 pm

ya fema did a swell job

10Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Mays Gilliam wrote:
rosco 357 wrote:i feel for the ppl in the flooded areas, but there will always be flooded rivers, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes,
You wrote: "i think we as a nation do more for our ppl hurt in natural disasters than probably anyother country"
What gives you that idea?
Why do you always think, only you can do a great job?
As if the rest of the world (94,5 per cent of the world population) consists of retarded cave men.

Because if u have been reading the news the last few weeks, u must have seen where hundreds of thousands of ppl have died, in countrys that would not even let other countries help, i did say i believe that it was in underdeveloped nations, i do not think developed nations dont do a good job, i should have included that. so i dont think we are the only ones that do a good job, but we seem to be a generous nation in helping out in world disasters, i realize smaller counrys cant contribute what we can, if a country will accept it, BUT < if U think for one minute i will not post the things i think are our strong points as a nation. ur sadly mistaken, and u mays will just have to GET USE TO IT,, as i notice u realish posting the negative, and trust me im use to u doing that. AND i think we do a great job , u know why? BECAUSE I CAN, now take care u hear, Floods engulf archaic levee systems 67629

11Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:17 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I meant greed, as taking more from nature ,than we give back rosco

please read my post again~ thank u ~ take care..I think also that u referring to this country always being the best is what causes turmoil..

12Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Rosco wrote:
Because if u have been reading the news the last few weeks, u must have seen where hundreds of thousands of ppl have died, in countrys that would not even let other countries help, i did say i believe that it was in underdeveloped nations, i do not think developed nations dont do a good job, i should have included that. so i dont think we are the only ones that do a good job, but we seem to be a generous nation in helping out in world disasters, i realize smaller counrys cant contribute what we can, if a country will accept it, BUT < if U think for one minute i will not post the things i think are our strong points as a nation. ur sadly mistaken, and u mays will just have to GET USE TO IT,, as i notice u realish posting the negative, and trust me im use to u doing that. AND i think we do a great job , u know why? BECAUSE I CAN, now take care u hear,
------------------
You wrote about the great job you do for your OWN people and I was referring to that. As far as I m concerned you dont need to do aanything for others.
What is bothersome is the fact that you think you do a hell of a job and in reality are the risee of the world.
And of course also gullible people can believe what they want, because they can.

13Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm

LMAO Well it didn't take much reading to figure out who you are Mays! Floods engulf archaic levee systems 140282

14Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:30 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Mays Gilliam wrote:Rosco wrote:
Because if u have been reading the news the last few weeks, u must have seen where hundreds of thousands of ppl have died, in countrys that would not even let other countries help, i did say i believe that it was in underdeveloped nations, i do not think developed nations dont do a good job, i should have included that. so i dont think we are the only ones that do a good job, but we seem to be a generous nation in helping out in world disasters, i realize smaller counrys cant contribute what we can, if a country will accept it, BUT < if U think for one minute i will not post the things i think are our strong points as a nation. ur sadly mistaken, and u mays will just have to GET USE TO IT,, as i notice u realish posting the negative, and trust me im use to u doing that. AND i think we do a great job , u know why? BECAUSE I CAN, now take care u hear,
------------------
You wrote about the great job you do for your OWN people and I was referring to that. As far as I m concerned you dont need to do aanything for others.
What is bothersome is the fact that you think you do a hell of a job and in reality are the risee of the world.
And of course also gullible people can believe what they want, because they can.

well u know what they say,opinions are like assholes (as u are one, i mean have one) everybody has one, my opinion is ur a jealous man of the United States, from a small country, that let hitler waltz in , so like always we and england had to save u from ur weakness,

15Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:36 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
ok im off to walmart, china calls, lol

16Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Rosco wrote:well u know what they say,opinions are like assholes (as u are one, i mean have one) everybody has one, my opinion is ur a jealous man of the United States, from a small country, that let hitler waltz in , so like always we and england had to save u from ur weakness,
-------------------------------
Typical reply for an American bully.
Always based on brute force; never an intellectual thought behind it.
Oh well, I had noticed your incoherent thinking in an earlier stage.

17Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:50 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
As far as greed for land, then convince those on the beaches to move back, those on river banks to move back, those on serene hilltops over looking valleys to move back, each are in danger from the wrath of Mother Nature, but in the same breath the ones on flat lands , cities, wooded areas, where should they go ? A tornado knows no logistic boundry.a flood has no certain course, and a hurricane doesn't just pick a beach city.
The US does a remarkable job of helping their own in disasters and sends millions in relief to other countries . Storms of huge magnatude as we have witnessed take countless hours of coordinating, it is one thing to channel relief efforts , but then a whole other thing to keep it honest. Weed out the parasites who make false claims.
For a person to NOT refer to our country as a great place to be from is a very questionable statement, who gives a crap if turmoil is caused American pride is a way of life for TRUE loyal Americans.

18Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Not Quite an accurate statement Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:01 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Mays Gilliam wrote:The news of so many levees overtopping or breaching can come as a shock to residents who felt safe behind their walls.

But experts say it's hardly surprising, especially given the low standards to which most levees are built.

To qualify for the National Flood Insurance Program, structures simply need to be behind a levee built to a so-called 100-year standard, meaning there is a 1 percent chance in any given year that a flood will rise above the levee. In the Netherlands, on the other hand, levees for ocean flooding are built to a 10,000-year standard, and inland levees are designed at least to a 250-year standard and usually in excess of 1,250 years.

"Around the world, the 100-year standard is a joke," says John Barry, author of "Rising Tide," his book about the Mississippi River flood of 1927, and a member of a flood control authority that oversees six levee districts in metropolitan New Orleans. "We invest on the cheap."

To start with I will agree the Netherlands has a very impressive flood system, based on closing off waterways with swinging gates ect. Louisiana sent a delagation to investigate the structure for future flood prevention.
Your statement about the National Flood Insurance Program is not totally accurate, in some areas a height limit for reconstruction has been inforced, lessoning the chance for structure damage.
With the on going floods in the middle of the US these have far surpassed the 1993 floods and are now classified as 500 yr. floods.

19Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

gypsy

gypsy
encourage those on beach/other places? a little late, don't u think?(overpopulation)

also my statement of america ,thinking its bes? iI love this country..but we should not put down other countries..or think we are the best, we have room for improvement, also.. our bridges,levees ,veteran hospitals are in dire need of upgrading..

20Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:34 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
So are highways, bridges and airports.. Still don't see the point in your thinking bragging on our country causes turmoil, except with your cheerleading section...
Over population has nothing to do with people living on the beaches, they aren't forced to live there, they chose to live there and pay a mighty high
price in insurance.

Show me one country in the world that doesn't have things that need repair.. You are just obviously showing a very disturbing Anti-American side, but with encouragement I guess it is easy for you.

21Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:41 pm

gypsy

gypsy
my opinion counts,.** smiles** at trouble,some u can solve, some u have to avoid~~where is that little icon, talk to my hand~~

22Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
You have obviously opted to avoid , guess it was getting to intense and your coach isn't here to help...works for me Floods engulf archaic levee systems 692113

23Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:06 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:So are highways, bridges and airports.. Still don't see the point in your thinking bragging on our country causes turmoil, except with your cheerleading section...
Over population has nothing to do with people living on the beaches, they aren't forced to live there, they chose to live there and pay a mighty high
price in insurance.

Show me one country in the world that doesn't have things that need repair.. You are just obviously showing a very disturbing Anti-American side, but with encouragement I guess it is easy for you.

a very good post, i did not post on fema as i know u know tons more about it being in the thick if it, there will always be ppl bitching no matter how much an agency trys to help, a women and her grandson after katrina, came up here, and with help of the knowledge of i take it a gov, policy from katrina, she bought my daughters house on a lease buy system, she leased my daughers house or 900 bucks a month for like 6 months and i assume it was from fema money or the some agency as the lady sure did not have any, then in about 6 months they all met and the lawyers did there thing and she bought my daughters house for the full price asked from the start, i would assume that many ppl did the same thing, since the real estate, ppl knew all about the government program.

24Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:17 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Rosco,we need to bitch,or complain,,remember* WE THE PEOPLE?**? so another what do u call it in the deep south,, ??really 900 hundred a month did that go in on the rent to own? do u think that is right?ior just ur daughters benefit no matter WHAT?

25Floods engulf archaic levee systems Empty Re: Floods engulf archaic levee systems Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Mays Gilliam wrote:Rosco wrote:well u know what they say,opinions are like assholes (as u are one, i mean have one) everybody has one, my opinion is ur a jealous man of the United States, from a small country, that let hitler waltz in , so like always we and england had to save u from ur weakness,
-------------------------------
Typical reply for an American bully.
Always based on brute force; never an intellectual thought behind it.
Oh well, I had noticed your incoherent thinking in an earlier stage.

wow mays a bully me, lol, after america save ur family from a real bully. im impressed that my post was brute force, wow, i never knew i was that good, lmao,, i have notice 2 things about you ,,well more but i will mention 2, but will say u may have posted this and i missed it in all fairness, after american lost the lives of a half million men in world war II and spend 13 billion dollars in the marshal plan to help rebuild europe, i dont think i have ever seen u post anyting positive about that, i did see u laugh on iyt about the marshall plan along with bbaker. the marshall plan that general marshall came up with to help rebuild europe, i will admit i dont know if it was confined to a certain part of europe. the second thing i noticed is u seem to rather go negative on american than post positive things on ur country, or hey even brag on ur country. mays if u bragged or went postive on something about ur country, do u for one minuite think i would ever even consider, blasting ur post as u do mine, heck no! i would think u proud of ur country and think way to go mays, we get along well till i praise my country then u blast me for it, so who seems the bully here. i want u to be proud of ur country,as i am mine. please post postive things on it, i would love to hear some and admire u for it., if u can squeeze it in between ur blast to america,,, take care

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum