You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SSC

SSC
Admin
Should All Welfare Recipients Be Drug Tested?

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/14/mississippi-senate-okays-bill-drug-test-welfare-recipients

by
Fox News InsiderFox News Insider
// Mar 14 2014 // 12:00pm
As seen on
America's Newsroom America's Newsroom

Mississippi is joining the list of Republican-governed states that plans on drug testing welfare benefit recipients. The state senate approved the bill which now heads to Governor Phil Bryant's desk Wednesday.

Substance abuse treatment is required the first time someone tests positive. The second time, that person loses benefits for 90 days. A third positive test would result in a loss of benefits for up to a year.

On America's Newsroom, Radio talk show host Eboni Williams said drug testing weeds out people who are using welfare benefits improperly. However she said there are two problems with this legislation.

First, a person only has to be tested if the state deems him or her likely to be a substance abuser. Williams said that could result in stereotyping and discrimination.

The other problem she identified is that children of drug users receiving welfare could suffer. “They’ve got to put something in place – a food bank, breakfast programs, free lunch programs, something so that those children are still getting food despite their parents’ behavioral choices.”

Radio talk show host Elisha Krauss said, “This is a temporary assistance program. It is not what we would dub as a food stamp program. And the issue with this is that we’re supposed to be supplementing people’s actual needs, not supplementing their drug abuse.”

Krauss said Williams has no proof that the officials implementing the legislation would specifically target minorities. “Then you’re assuming that only minorities are drug users, and minorities are using the system.”

“That’s actually the point though, Elisha,” Williams argued, “Is it’s the arbitrariness in which it’s applied.”

Both guests agreed that everyone who receives welfare benefits should be tested.

gypsy

gypsy
yes, if all the political figures are tested, all your judicial system is also tested,and people who  operate all travel,trains.airplanes.ETC! I agree, but  the children whose parents are tested and fail need assistance.
also those in the congress/senate. only a small percentage on welfare are probably drug users.. we have enough problems with infrastructure,job creation,and many more issues..

SSC

SSC
Admin
I think drug testing she be mandatory for all teachers, transit operators and especially senators, congress and Big O himself. Welfare recipients certainly should be tested, just like in Colorado pot stores now they have machines to take EBT cards so they can get cash to but pot.If they test positive suspend benefits step in and remove any children until a successful rehab program is completed . At least Miss. makes it mandatory to get welfare benefits they must have or get a GED and register for work, they do not increase monthly money benefits for having more kids just food stamps.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I don't think they should be tested, its an invasion of privacy. Making that a law would be just another example of our freedoms taken away in favor of government control. Now yet again people want government intervention to pass a law that intrudes on peoples privacy while looking for the worst case scenario so they can deny them benefits.

If pot is legal in a state and they test you for drugs, would they deny you benefits if they found pot in your system or does the right-hand know what the left hand is doing? Once you legalize pot a drug test showing pot in your system is not a crime or anything they can legally penalize someone for.

SSC

SSC
Admin
gypsy wrote:yes, if all the political figures are tested, all your judicial system is also tested,and people who  operate all travel,trains.airplanes.ETC! I agree, but  the children whose parents are tested and fail need assistance.
also those in the congress/senate. only a small  percentage on welfare are probably drug users..  we have enough problems with  infrastructure,job creation,and many more issues..

How do you know only a small percentage of welfare recipients are drug users, do you have statics to back this up ?

gypsy

gypsy
no but I am sure I could find some, but you may not agree with it.. so I will say this I don't think invasion of privacy is a good thing, ,I agree with Mark, I do think if you operate a plane or vehicle,teachers, that is used by the public you should be tested for safety reasons, and again I don't put much stock in Fox oriented articles, or news.

gypsy

gypsy

SSC

SSC
Admin
This had nothing to do with Fox this is the state of Miss. passing a law, I just have issue with tax dollars being spent to support drug addicts, the benefits are not used on children they are used to support drug habits.

gypsy

gypsy
I have read many articles on this subject they all say the cost to tax payers will be more than the small percentage of welfare recipents use of drugs. this is my last response to this subject.

SSC

SSC
Admin
If you don't want to respond that is your choice, obviously there is a problem in the welfare system or the need for testing would never have become an issue in any state.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum