You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1McCain family owns 8 properties Empty McCain family owns 8 properties Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:21 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
By KENNETH P. VOGEL | 8/21/08 4:39 PM EST

John McCain's family owns at least eight properties — not the seven Democrats are alleging or the four McCain's staff identified — according to a Politico analysis of property and tax records, as well as interviews.

The presumptive Republican nominee, though, may have some wiggle room in explaining why he couldn't immediately provide an answer when asked by Politico how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own. Sen. McCain himself does not own any of the properties. They're all owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and the trusts and companies they control.

Brian Rogers, a McCain spokesman, did not question Politico's analysis, but said his boss's bungling of the how-many-homes question is a nonissue.

"Voters care a lot more about candidates' personal ethics than about how many houses or residences or doghouses that John and Cindy McCain own," he said. He questioned efforts by McCain's Democratic rival, Barack Obama, to exploit the issue, given that Obama benefited from a 2005 land deal with the wife of convicted Chicago businessman — and former Obama fundraiser — Tony Rezko that expanded the Obama family's newly purchased $1.65 million homestead.

"The reality is that Barack Obama purchased his million-dollar mansion in a shady deal involving a convicted felon, and it raises questions about his ethics and judgment," said Rogers.

Politico's analysis of the McCain records found that five of the eight properties were purchased between the summer of 2004 and this February, for a total of $11 million. And the analysis found that the McCains hired additional household help in 2007.

The five new properties are all condominiums, and they include three in Phoenix — one of which became the couple's primary Phoenix residence after a Cindy McCain family trust in 2006 sold for $3.2 million the house in which they raised their children — and a pair outside San Diego.

The new properties joined three previously owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and their trusts: a scenic ranch outside Sedona, Ariz., where John McCain has entertained staff, prospective running mates and political reporters; a three-bedroom Arlington, Va., condo that's been John McCain's Washington-area residence since 1993; a La Jolla, Calif. condo that is home to Cindy McCain's elderly aunt and on which the trust recently paid nearly $7,000 in back taxes.

The condo that serves as the McCain's primary Phoenix residence was purchased in 2006 for $4.7 million by Cindy McCain's trust. It is a 6,600-square foot unit.

Less than one year after the McCains acquired it, a corporation controlled by Cindy McCain bought another condo on a lower floor in the same building for $830,000.

And, in between, the corporation plunked down $700,000 for a 1,900-square-foot, three-bedroom loft condo for their then-22-year-old daughter, Meghan, who was moving back to Phoenix after graduating from New York's Columbia University. The unit is now listed for sale at $730,000.

Cindy McCain, through another family corporation, spent about $4.7 million in 2004 and 2008 on two condos in an exclusive building in Coronado, Calif., an affluent San Diego suburb noted for its high percentage of military retirees.

In an interview with Cindy McCain in the June issue of Vogue magazine, conducted from the newer Coronado condo, she explained that her husband, a Navy veteran, initially wasn't keen on the idea of a pied-à-terre in Coronado.

"When I bought the first one, my husband, who is not a beach person, said, 'Oh this is such a waste of money; the kids will never go,'" she said in Vogue. "Then it got to the point where they used it so much I couldn't get in the place. So I bought another one."

A McCain campaign aide who did not want to be identified discussing the McCain's personal finances, told Politico this summer that — other than the primary Phoenix residence — the new condos were "purchased for investment and are available for personal use by the McCain family."

The McCains increased their budget for household employees from $184,000 in 2006 to $273,000 in 2007, according to John McCain's tax returns.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12700.html

Last edited by rosco 357 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

2McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:38 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Rosco,isn't this a blog, politico?

3McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:48 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:Rosco,isn't this a blog, politico?

this is not from politico, its in response to politico and i have no idea what politico is, but politco said 7 , but the macains own 8,, this post like i said is a news article, as u can click the url, my opinion of blogs are just ppl posting there opinions of topics, adn most are junk, i dont read them, but again this is not a politico item, it only mentioned it because politico said they owned 7 which is not correct, i dont see how a blog could give out info,, i may check, but i dont read blogs, they are meaningless to me,

4McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:54 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
lol wow sorry i almost forgot the url , it is politco its a news article, it does have some plls opionions on things, but it is not a part of the new article, gee i almost missed the 30 minute curfew tyler has me on lol, tyler make it 30 minutes for young ppl and longer for us older ppl, lmao, take care,

5McCain family owns 8 properties Empty here is the reporter, who did the article, Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Kenneth P. Vogel

Kenneth P. Vogel, who goes by "Ken" when he's not in ostentatious reporter mode -covers the confluence of money, politics and influence for Politico. He has reported on politics and government for The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., The Center for Public Integrity in Washington, D.C. and The Journal Inquirer in Manchester, Conn.

He spent most of 2006 learning about the U.S. Congress from the inside through an American Political Science Association fellowship that let him work on the staffs of two House committees. He's won awards from the Association of Capitol Reporters and Editors, the Society of Professional Journalists and Investigative Reporters and Editors. He grew up in Philadelphia, where he was afflicted with an unwavering allegiance to Philadelphia sports teams, which have repeatedly built - then dashed - his hopes. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin, where he developed a passion for journalism.
He enjoys eating out, sleeping in and jogging around.
http://www.politico.com/reporters/KennethPVogel.html
McCain family owns 8 properties Kenvogel_new

6McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:58 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
rosco 357 wrote:lol wow sorry i almost forgot the url , it is politco its a news article, it does have some plls opionions on things, but it is not a part of the new article, gee i almost missed the 30 minute curfew tyler has me on lol, tyler make it 30 minutes for young ppl and longer for us older ppl, lmao, take care,
naa naa naa, rosco, don't give me that "older ppl" routine, McCain family owns 8 properties Phiphi 30 minutes for ALL, you know the drill, any later than that and the door will be locked and you'll have to get a hotel.. McCain family owns 8 properties 503179

7McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:59 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
rosco 357 wrote:
gypsy wrote:Rosco,isn't this a blog, politico?

this is not from politico, its in response to politico and i have no idea what politico is, but politco said 7 , but the macains own 8,, this post like i said is a news article, as u can click the url, my opinion of blogs are just ppl posting there opinions of topics, adn most are junk, i dont read them, but again this is not a politico item, it only mentioned it because politico said they owned 7 which is not correct, i dont see how a blog could give out info,, i may check, but i dont read blogs, they are meaningless to me,

I agree with you Rosco blogs are crap one sided reporting, usually someone who is not employed in the new business, just their as a rule very bias opinion and often not substantiated.I refuse to read blogs, to much incorrect writing.

8McCain family owns 8 properties Empty Re: McCain family owns 8 properties Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
rosco 357 wrote:lol wow sorry i almost forgot the url , it is politco its a news article, it does have some ppls opinions on things, but it is not a part of the new article, gee i almost missed the 30 minute curfew tyler has me on lol, tyler make it 30 minutes for young ppl and longer for us older ppl, lmao, take care,

well i said first it was not politco. but then as here i said it is that news sight, the only blog about it, is off to the side it has a place ppl can post opinions.on articles, many sights seem to be doing this, have a place for ppl to say there piece, even on articles on aol, it probably make for some popularity, for ppl that like to do that, some are just kids fussing on topics about movie stars, i do not think i have been to a pure blog is there are any,,, just places that have a area to vent ur thoughts on the news items the news sight post...

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
the number of properties the MacCains own is now getting funny, it could be as high as 12 as i sit here listening to fox,new show,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum